M3A3 bradley ERA (BUSK)

New ERA (BUSK) Modification for M3A3 Bradley
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

6421256-1618939914

Since the Bradley m3a3 is already in the game, I will not go into a deep dive about the vehicle itself. However, I am going into one of its modifications.

The M2 and M3 Bradley Fighting Vehicle is a lightly armored, fully tracked transport vehicle that provides cross-country mobility, mounted firepower, and protection from artillery and small-arms fire. It is used in mechanized infantry and armored cavalry combat.

Manufacturer: BAE Systems

Service: US Army

Engine: Cummins VTA-903T diesel

Armament: 25 mm M242 chain gun; TOW anti-tank missile; 7.62 mm M240C machine gun

Crew: 3 crew, 6-man infantry squad

Range: 300 miles

Speed: 41 mph

M3A3 Bradley E.R.A (BUSK):

The M2 Bradley is built tough, with a hull made from a mix of welded aluminum and spaced laminate armor, ensuring it can take a hit. And if that’s not enough, the M2A2 / M3A2 variants come with appliqué steel armor, giving the option to beef up with extra passive armor or explosive reactive armor (ERA) as needed.
To really amp up its defense against all kinds of anti-armor threats, like those pesky shoulder-launched rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), the ERA setup includes 96 strategically placed tiles on the sides, turret, and front of the vehicle.
Back in September 2008, BAE Systems snagged a contract to fit 433 Bradley M2/M3 vehicles with improvised explosive device (IED) mine armor. Then, in April 2011, they got another $62 million contract to add even more protection, with energy-absorbing seats, laser designation systems, and other upgrades to boost survivability.

If this modification is added to in game, it will help people play with Bradley and provide better protection, like the puma in the German tech tree. It would help fight against small, medium, and large caliber guns, including the armament of other light infantry vehicles.

The Urban Bradley Survival Kit (UBSK) serves as an enhancement to bolster the resilience of Bradleys in urban settings, akin to the M1 Abrams TUSK kit. The UBSK comprises several components: a heightened spotlight for improved visibility, a wire mesh shield to safeguard optics from scratches, nonconductive nylon strips to deflect fallen electrical wires and protect against power line hazards, additional underside armor, and a bullet-resistant transparent shield for the commander stationed outside the turret. Furthermore, it incorporates sensors and software for early detection of component wear and simulation software to enhance gunner training realism.

Nevertheless, incorporating the UBSK adds 3 tons to the vehicle’s weight. In response, a significant upgrade initiative was devised, encompassing a more robust 800 horsepower engine, a giant main gun, lighter armor, enhanced sensors and cameras for comprehensive external visibility, and an upgraded fire suppression system. Initially slated for implementation in 2012, the Bradley became excessively heavy, and the kit needed to enhance survivability sufficiently.

A more recent iteration, the UBSK III kit, is now accessible for Bradleys, integrating a blastproof fuel cell, a blast-resistant driver seat, a turret survival system, and an emergency ramp release. This kit has been installed on 236 M2A3 Bradleys in South Korea and is slated for deployment on Bradleys within the 4th Infantry Division.

As of late July 2023, Ukrainian Bradleys have been outfitted with upgraded armor as part of the UBSK and Bradley Reactive Armor Tiles.

This ERA (BUSK) is the same on the side of the M1A2 Sep V2; it will help protect the vehicle from small, medium, and some large caliber guns. The ERA (BUSK) protects the front top of the hull and half of both sides. The ERA (BUSK) can cover the entire side if necessary. (seen in the pic below)

h3

Reason for Implementation:
Adding this as a modification would help Bradley M3A3 users or people trying to get by; it will improve the experience instead of dying the second you get spotted. The ERA (BUSK) would help us with a better chance of survival. Well, that is all I got for this, so thanks for reading.

The UBSK III (Urban Bradley Survival Kit III) enhances the vehicle with the following additions, including ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor):

1. Blastproof Fuel Cell: Provides enhanced protection against explosions targeting the vehicle’s fuel supply.
  2. Blast-Resistant Driver Seat: Improves survivability for the driver by reducing the impact of explosions on the seat area.
  3. Turret Survivability System: Incorporates measures to increase the resilience of the turret, possibly including reinforced construction and additional armor.
  4. Emergency Ramp Release: Enables quick egress from the vehicle in emergencies, enhancing crew survivability.
  5. Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA): Adds a layer of protection against shaped charge warheads and other explosive threats by detonating upon impact, neutralizing the incoming projectile.

The vehicle stays the same:

Manufacturer: BAE Systems

Service: US Army

Engine: Cummins VTA-903T diesel

Armament: 25 mm M242 chain gun; TOW anti-tank missile; 7.62 mm M240C machine gun

Crew: 3 crew, 6-man infantry squad

Range: 300 miles

Speed: 41 mph

Overall length254 in (6.5 m) 258 in (6.6 m)

Overall width126 in (3.2 m) 129 in (3.3 m), w/o armor kit

Height over commander’s hatch117 in (3.0 m)

Ground clearance18 in (45.7 cm)

Top speed41 mph (66 km/h) 35 mph (56 km/h)

FordingFloats

Max. grade60%

Max. trench8.3 ft (2.5 m) 7 ft (2.1 m)

Max. wall36 in (0.9 m) 30 in (0.8 m)

Range300 mi (480 km) 250 mi (400 km)

Power500 hp (370 kW) at 2600 rpm 600 hp (450 kW) at 2600 pm

Power-to-weight ratio20 hp/ST (16.4 kW/t), M3

19.8 hp/ST (16.3 kW/t), M3A1 20 hp/ST (16.4 kW/t), w/o armor kit

Torque1,025 lb-ft (1,390 N⋅m) at 2350 rpm 1,225 lb-ft (1,660 N⋅m) at 2300 pm

Weight, combat loaded49,900 lb (22,630 kg), M3

50,500 lb (22,910 kg), M3A1 60,000 lb (27,220 kg), w/o armor kit)

Ground pressure7.7 psi (53 kPa), M3

7.8 psi (54 kPa), M3A1 9.3 psi (64 kPa)

Main armament25 mm M242 Bushmaster chain gun

BGM-71 TOW anti-tank missile

Elevation, main gun+59° −9°, M2

+57° −9°, M2A1 +19.5° −9°

Traverse rate6 seconds/360°

Elevation rate, main gun60°/second

Main armament ammo1500 rounds,

12 TOW or TOW 2, M3A1

Firing rate: Single shot, 100, 200 rounds per minute.

Sources:
https://dod.defense.gov/OIR/gallery/igphoto/2001242368/

7 Likes

Great suggestion! Two minor corrections: BUSK stands for Bradley Urban Survival Kit, much like how TUSK stands for Tank Urban Survival Kit. There is no UBSK. Similarly, the ERA itself is called BRAT (Bradley Reactive Armor Tiles), just like the M1’s ARAT (Abrams Reactive Armor Tiles). Swap in those acronyms and you’re good to go!

8 Likes

+1

1 Like

Hell yeah more Bradleys +1

2 Likes

all those who voted yes, are the best.

Had to reread that.

Anyway!

Not sure if the era would help, seeing the current state of SEPv2, but why not.

1 Like

it will help against main armament fire from bmp 1 and 2 since the hull of the bradley is way bigger than the turret most of times they hit there. So the ERA will help from there main weapon guns. and if we get down tiered possibly stop rounds from lower tier tanks.

Unless the bradley era can protect against multiple autcannon hits like the glorious and totally realistically performing relikt™ im afraid it wont do much, just sayin.

I have yet to see NATO era that even came close to relikt™

it should be higher hopefully with the Bug reports on the CR2 add on armour which i think that the Bradley uses but i could be think of a different ifv they may increase it

yah i see what your saying let’s just hope they make semi decent. Even though the ERA on the side of the M1A2 Sep can take a couple hits from a bmp2 before detonating it has happened to me but also need to take in mind what type of ammo they using.

Hopefully.

Dont get me wrong im all for it, just with how western eras are implemented now, i feel like it would be dead weight.

2 Likes

currently most of them are as the only use they have is if your fighting someone who has stock heat
Hopefully they will have their CE protection buffed

1 Like

they can be equi[ed with both

like the lav-ad

1 Like

I mean, i can see bradley having modification similiar to lav-ad (hydras vs stingers) that would switch between stingers and tows.

Armored IFV with sabots that can carry stingers would be cracked first spawn vehicle.

From my knowledge it was never equipped with hydra’s or sabot rounds.

And just clear this is specifically BUSK III on the M3A3 right?

https://www.baesystems.com/en/article/bradley-upgrades-ahead-of-schedule-and-under-budget

1 Like

I meant that just like LAV-AD can switch between hydras and stingers, so would the suggested bradley switch between stingers and tows, if what whopper098 said about being able to equip stingers is true.

yah ok but we don’t want to grind two same vehicles for on just to have anti air modifications itll be best a s like 15k-20k modification.

It cannot equip stingers just tow’s. The M6 was the only variant that was fitted with stingers

1 Like

Hence the if.