• United Korea tech tree
  • Other
  • I said no
0 voters

M2010 6x6 APC

Flag-North-Korea

Unknown official name

Brief History
North Korea has a surprisingly long history of tank and AFV production, with some of their most recent developments being very interesting. During the Korean War, and for a couple decades after, North Korea relied on Soviet hand-me-downs, namely T-34s and their derivatives, T-55s, etc. In the 70s, the DPRK started development of their first MBTs based on their copy of the T-62 (Ch’ŏnma), which have continually been upgraded to this day.

Alongside these vehicles, North Korea has developed a number of APCs, primarily by taking Chinese or Soviet designs and ‘copying’ them. The M2010 APC is a result of the combination of features from the BTR-80, BTR-60PB, 323 APC (itself a modified Chinese Type 63 APC) and PT-76B. This 6x6 version is a development of the original 8x8 APC, but is still very similar. It has gone on to form the basis for the M2018 6x6 NLOS ATGM carrier.

Characteristics
The M2010 6x6 APC has a turret reminiscent of that of the PT-76B. It houses dual 14.5mm ZPU-4 (KPV) auto-cannons, as well as a coaxial 7.62mm machine-gun. The turret also has 2x3 grenade launchers, an IR searchlight, and a panoramic sight. The turret is a slightly different shape to that of the original 8x8 APC, but otherwise the weaponry remains the same.

The 8x8 APC has two variants: the older variant has features of the PT-76B and BTR-60PB, such as the engine and water jets of the former, and firing ports of the latter, and the second variant streamlined these to be much more similar to the BTR-80. The 6x6 APC is a sort-of middle-ground between these two: it incorporates the PT-76B’s 240hp engine and water jets, but has the firing ports of the BTR-80.

Most obvious however is the removal of 2 wheels and slight shortening of the chassis. This limits the crew compartment to 3-4 passengers instead of 7, which is irrelevant for the game. However, what is relevant is the associated lightening of the chassis, which combined with the same engine, means it should be faster and more nimble than the 8x8 version.

The APC has the same crew layout as the BTR-80s, with a commander, driver and gunner. It likely also has the same armour layout as the BTR-80s, with roughly 9mm all around.

Some vehicles have been seen with Igla MANPADs but I personally don’t think these should be added in game, as that would drastically raise the BR of an otherwise 3.0-4.0 worthy vehicle.

Conclusion
This vehicle could be a fun low-tier SPAA/light tank for a North Korean sub-tree. It would be quite anachronistic, as it only has 2x 14.5mm KPVs (the same armament as the 2.7 BTR-152A). It would be faster and better protected than the BTR-152A (and BTR-152D with 4x guns), so I think a BR of ~3.7 might work best. Perhaps it could be given modern Chinese 14.5mm ammunition that’s slightly higher penetrating, to give it a more light tank role at 4.0+, although there’s no evidence North Korea use this ammunition.

Specifications
Armament

• 2x 14.5mm KPVT
    • AP-I
      • 39mm at 10m at 0°
    • API-T
      • 38mm at 10m at 0°
    • IAI
      • 3mm at 10m at 0°
    • AP-I(c)
      • 49mm at 10m at 0°
  • 1x 7.62mm (Coaxial)

Armour

• Hull
    • Front
      • ~9mm
    • Sides
      • ~9mm
    • Rear
      • ~9mm
  • Turret
    • Front
      • ~9mm
    • Sides
      • ~9mm
    • Rear
      • ~9mm

Mobility

• Speed
    • ~87km/h
    • 10km/h in water
  • Weight
    • ~14.6t (less than, due to the lack of 2 wheels and shortened chassis but by how much, we don’t know)
  • Engine power
    • 240hp

Images

Spoiler

6x6a
6x6e
6whr
6x6top
8whdet
6x6leftsidehulldetails-t
6x6rearplate

Sources

Spoiler

The Armed Forces of North Korea: On the Path of Songun – Stijn Mitzer and Joost Oliemans
North Korean M-2012 6x6 APC derived from BTR-80
M2010 APC - 나무위키
North Korean M-2012 8x8 APC derived from BTR-80

1 Like