Leopard 2 changes

Yes they can do that by disabling the stabiliser and manually depressing the barrel.

So then let us do that, you can’t just model the problem and not the solution.

1 Like

Would that be realistic then?

Of course, why not?

Gaijin implementing FCS safety features without fully implementing FCS.

Most of the documentation about this FCS system is classified and will probably stay like that for quite a while. There was information given by “tankers” and seen clearly in multiple images that the leopard can depress its gun with the FCS system turned off which basically gives gunner full manual control of the gun. The changelog about this is still missing its reference to documentation/report.

Not to mention there is still multiple bugs related to Leopard models in terms of armor geometry and protection from which some have been accepted and some still remain open and unchecked.

I don’t see a reason to add this FCS safety feature without fully implemented the FCS system.

7 Likes

Brb gonna go looking for the classified docs that were posted

Yep I could probably Live without stabilizer in Order to get more gun movement
But Right now its terrible

This is by far the most anticipated feature that’s yet to come to the game, we have 4th generation tanks turn like 1800 tractors, which is incredibly sad.

2 Likes

This is one of those things that while IS generally realistic, should be excluded form gameplay. This is fin for leos in real life, because of the nature of real life tank combat. In the close range fast gameplay of warthunder this does NOT work. Next update it will take 5 minutes to repair a track.

This is one of very few updates that actually make USA mains happy lol

For the same reason a lot of historical things are/aren’t implemented. Game balance.

Gaijin specifically chose to implement this but not the other things you mentioned because they are looking for a way to address the Leopard situation.

There is no question among anyone that the Leopard is the best top tier MBT by far, so Gaijin has continuously nerfed it in minor ways recently to bring it more in line with other top tier MBTs. They’ve reduced the reload times of various top tier MBTs, fixed the LFP bug, and have implemented the change this topic is about.

Things like advanced steering or transmission mechanics take time to implement, some rounds would throw off the balance of the game that has been constructed by Gaijin, and some other features don’t have enough documentation (or you could have a scenario where two tanks have the same feature, but one is documented well and the other isn’t, it wouldn’t be fair to add the feature to the former tank but not the latter simply due to lack of documentation when they both historically have said feature).

1 Like

Might i throw the merkavas balls in there? (VERY IMPORTANT XD)

3 Likes

Let’s not forget proper hill climbing capability.

1 Like

Regenerative steering? You bet, it was passed to the developers in 2017… one would have thought 7 years would have been enough…

And the transmission mechanics have been proposed to be simulated with simple changes that wouldn’t even require modelling any new mechanics by the community, but Gaijin has rejected all of these.

I can’t see how M1A1 AIM getting a worse M829A2 would throw off any balance when you got Click-Bait and M1A1HC at the exact same BR with M829A2…

Or how Leopard 2PL, possibly the worst armored 11.7 when the top BR (with the 2A7s and 122s) is 12.0, can’t have DM53 and must be limited to a mere 520mm pen shell.

2 Likes

I mean… yeah. That’s how Gaijin operates. Don’t get me wrong, I’m disappointed by it too. But Gaijin doesn’t really seem to care about ground that much as a whole other than to sell premiums (case in point, Russia hasn’t received a new TT tank since last year). And at this point I don’t get my hopes up too high for high tier MBT fixes.

I can’t speak for the AIM since I haven’t played it, and probably won’t due to the teams, but overall it’s pretty similar to the Leclerc in capability. IMO the Click-Bait and HC are under BRed since they’re essentially identical to the M1A2.

I’ve never had an issue with the 2PL, it’s a pretty good tank. The fact that it’s only a BR under the better Leopards is more of a sign of compression if anything.

Leopard 2 Commander here,

First I’d like to say that I have served and am still serving with many Leopard 2 variants, including the 2A6A1, 2A6A2, 2A6A3, 2A6MA3 and finally the 2A7V.

Now onto this topic then, all the community needs to know about this whole FCS discussion for the Leopard 2 is that you can turn off the Weapon Stabilizer (called E-WNA) and therefore disable what is called the „Heckabweiser“ (Rear Deflector) and depress the gun as much as you like…

Since you can already turn off the stabilizers ingame, what really only needs to happen is them removing this limitation when the stabiliser is turned off if players really feel the need to do that.

I will see if I can find any unclassified documents regarding this feature, until then I hope this discussion doesn’t spiral out of control as so many others have…

Take care and o7 all

9 Likes

There’s already a voiceline that says “Runterschalten in Beobachten” or “Switch to observation”. It seems gaijin knew about observation mode but decided to only implement the deck clearance.

3 Likes

What use would beobachten (observation) or even Turm Aus ( Turret Off) even have in game?
Maybe if they decide to fully model stabilisation and FCS electronics and they add a system where parts can get taken out limiting the use of the FCS and the stabilisation

Already a thing :) Check the x-ray of the vehicle, if those parts get damaged then the corresponding functions stops working.

You can also disable the stabilization through the “Y” menu :)

Edit:
Correction, the leopards apparently do not have some of those electronics modeled yet.
But FCS modules exist on some other vehicles.

The X-Ray components you are referencing are far, far from all corresponding elements that make up the Fire Control System of a Leopard 2.

What is show ingame is maybe 20% of everything, and that’s being generous.

They shouldn’t change anything, as implementing Beobachten would force them to try and add the entire FCS of the vehicle, wich is not only extremely time consuming, but also a system most if any players would not understand.

There’s a reason gunner training takes up half a year after all, I doubt any WT player wants to learn his Tanks FCS for that long.

1 Like