ARMAMENT
1x 7.92x61mm Norwegian Colt m/29 Heavy machinegun

TECHNICAL DATA
Eigne: Volvo DC 6 cylinder in-line
Power: 85 Hp
Top speed: 25 - 50 Km/h (see history)
Lenght: 4.05 Meter
Width: 1.75 Meter
Height: 1.65 Meter with the Swedish tower, uncertain with the norwegian but it is a little higher
Weight: 4 Metric Tons
Crew: 2 men

HISTORY
In 1936, AB Landsverk received a contract to build a complete light tank and one chassis of the type L120 for testing by the Swedish army. This was a self-developed carriage and both were to be delivered during the first half of 1937. The chassis was delivered in May (should have been delivered in February) and the complete carriage was delivered at the turn of July-August. Already in July it became clear that the Swedish army was not going to choose this vehicle as its light tank and Landsverk therefore bought back the chassis that had been delivered in May. This chassis was then delivered to Norway, which had ordered a wagon for testing. No more L120 wagons were produced than these two, possibly starting on a third wagon which was the one that was planned to be delivered to Norway. Whether this was ever completed is uncertain.

-Swedish prototype, this has some differences over the Norwegian verison

IN NORWAY
The carriage was delivered to Norway in 1937 without superstructure and tower (it had become too expensive and this was therefore made in Norway in ordinary iron sheets with a single tower that could be rotated 360 degrees). The appearance of this wagon was therefore somewhat different and simpler than the complete Landsverkvog which the Swedes had for testing. This in and of itself had no significance as this was seen as a test of how one

such a wagon would do well under Norwegian conditions. In addition to “Norgestanken”, it also went by the nickname “Rikstanken”. Experiences with the wagon were mixed, there were a lot of mechanical faults with the brakes and problems with the engine being too weak. On the positive side, fast movement both on road and off-road was emphasized, despite the fact that it never reached more than 25 km/h. (It was supposed to do 50 km/h).

The vehicle took part in the field maneuvers in Trøndelag in 1937, in Hurdal and at Jæren in 1938 and at Gardermoen in 1939. It was then put into the warehouse of DR 1 at Gardermoen together with the two Chevrolet armored cars that also belonged to DR 1. On 9 April 1940, the wagon was still parked at Gardermoen and it therefore never came into combat with German forces. What happened to the wagon after the Germans took it over in 1940 is unfortunately not known

-Norgestanken with posing German soilders

IN GAME
Yes, you read right! This tank is only equipped one machinegun. it is self saying, you cant to much with a 7.92mm machinegun, but still it is far from un-useable! Tough most of it eventual usage in game would be messing around or for the memes, it can still knock out open top vehicles and punch trough armour of the very light vehicles it faces. mabye as a real tier one vehicle or a event award in the way we got he PO2 lately? many possibilities!

NORWEGIAN COLT M/29 HEAVY MACHINEGUN

Model and production
Type: Machine gun
Manufacturer: Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk
Constructor: Browning/Colt
Customer: Army and Air Force
Model: Colt M/29 HEAVY
Caliber: 7.92x61mm
Production period: Approx. 1937-1943
Number produced: 1150
Serial number: 1050-2199, + converted from previously delivered

Technical data
Mechanism: Automatic
Rate of fire: 650 shots per min
Magazine capacity: 220 rounds (belt fed)
Total length: 956 mm
Barrel length: 607 mm
Weight: 15,000 grams
Sight: Gallow sight and open grain

Technical data 7.92x61mm

Spoiler

The machinegun could use all those cartrigdes, every spec is included and the dates

RFA 7.92x61 MG Heavy - Sharp - MG heavy, full metal jacket
https://i.ibb.co/FDnV8q5/Patron-792x61-MG-Tung-Helmantel-1938-1.jpg
Model and production
Caliber: 7.92x61 MG Heavy
Type: Sharp
Model: MG heavy, full jacket
Manufacturer: Raufoss Ammunitionsfabrikker
Country of manufacture: Norway
Year of production: Approx. 1937-1944
ID: SAA4495

Technical data
Total length: 83.85 mm
Cartridge weight: 29.2 grams
Ball diameter: 8.2 mm
Bullet length: 37.7 mm
Bullet weight: 14.2 grams
Bullet type: Full jacket
Ball casing material: Copper-nickel coated steel
Ball core material: Lead
Gunpowder type: Light smoke
Gunpowder weight: approx. 3.67 grams
Ignition mechanism: Berdan
Sleeve material: Brass
Sleeve length: 60.95 mm
Bottom diameter: 11.9 mm
Sleeve base: Rimless
Teeth cap: None

Live ammunition in 7.92x61 MG heavy from Raufoss had cartridge cases and caps in brass. Production took place from 1937 to 1944 with steel jacketed projectiles of 14.2 grams.

For firing tests in 1936, cartridges with two stars and an R at 12 o’clock were tested. Ammunition from 1943 and 1944 has copper-plated projectiles with a steel jacket. A small number of cartridges loaded by Finower Industrie GmbH in Germany with German pattern markings have been observed. These are dated 1943 with factory code cg. The German designation for this caliber is “7.9 mm Patr s.S 294/2 (n) norw tung” or “Patrone M/37”.

The cartridges were normally packed in cloth bands of 220 cartridges. These were regular 250 tapes with the last 30 cartridge pockets cut away. The ammunition was delivered in wooden boxes with 9 cardboard boxes, each containing one cloth band. The label on the wooden box was white. The cardboard boxes had an arrow on the lid which should point towards the weapon when you put the box in the ammunition box. This meant that the belt remained with the projectiles in the correct direction. These belts were designated “Sharp ammunition, heavy, unmixed”. If the belts contained tracer cartridges, the designation was “Sharp ammunition, heavy, mixed”.

The ammunition was produced until 1944. After this, it was reloaded in old empty casings to an unknown extent.

RFA 7.92x61 MG Tung - Trace light - MG heavy, tracer
https://i.ibb.co/s20KhYz/sporlys-1.jpg
Model and production
Type: Tracer
Model: MG heavy, track light
Year of production: 193x-1942

Technical data
Total length: 83.9 mm
Cartridge weight: 25.7 grams
Bullet length: 37.3 mm
Bullet weight: 11.0 grams
Bullet type: Track light
Bullet core material: Lead + track light kit
Quantity in package: 50

The tracer cartridges for the heavy cartridges had the same steel jacketed 11 gram projectile used in the light cartridges. The tracer light burned with a greenish color out to 1000-1200 m.
In 1943, a new 12 gram projectile was constructed. This had a candle set that was supposed to be easier to light, and burned with a yellowish colour.
The German term for heavy tracer light was 7.9 mm Patr. Sml’spur 293/2(n) heavy.
The tracer cartridges were delivered in boxes of 1,500 rounds. These contained 30 boxes of 50 rounds. A green stripe was used above the label. Track light cartridges were also delivered ready-made in strips together with sharp cartridges.

RFA 7.92x61 MG Tung - Tracer - MG heavy, tracer light (yellow)
https://i.ibb.co/h9pj3BW/gul-tracer.jpg
Model and production
Model: MG heavy, track light (yellow)
Year of production: 1943-

Technical data
Total length: 84 mm
Cartridge weight: 27.3 grams
Bullet weight: 12.0 grams

The tracer cartridges for the heavy cartridges had the same steel jacketed 11 gram projectile used in the light cartridges. The tracer light burned with a greenish color out to 1000-1200 m.
In 1943, a new 12 gram projectile was constructed. This had a candle set that was supposed to be easier to light, and burned with a yellowish colour.
The German term for heavy tracer light was 7.9 mm Patr. Sml’spur 293/2(n) heavy.
The tracer cartridges were delivered in boxes of 1,500 rounds. These contained 30 boxes of 50 rounds. A green stripe was used above the label. Track light cartridges were also delivered ready-made in strips together with sharp cartridges.

RFA 7.92x61 MG Tung - Exercise cartridge - MG heavy, exercises
https://i.ibb.co/dMx4Zk4/exsersise-bukllet.jpg
Model and production
Type: Practice cartridge
Model: MG heavy, exercises
Year of manufacture: 1938

Technical data
Ball type: Brass rod
Ball casing material: Brass
Ball core material: Brass

The practice cartridges were made from cut-out sleeves where 4 longitudinal grooves were applied to distinguish them from live ammunition. The projectile is a turned brass rod that is drilled inside. The rod goes down towards the bottom of the sleeve so that it was not pressed in during repeated use.
The cartridges were delivered in boxes of 50 cartridges.

RFA 7.92x61 MG Heavy - Tracer
https://i.ibb.co/4jW1ZWx/tung-tracer.jpg
Model and production
Model -
Year of production: 193x-1942

Technical data
Total length: 83.9 mm
Bullet weight: 11.0 grams

SWEDISH CONFIGURATION

-It is the same vehicle just bfore it was sent to Norway, here in the Swedish configuration with the Swedish turret

PICTURES

Spoiler

Norgestanken: norgestanken — ImgBB
Colt M/29: Norwegian Colt M/29 Heavy Machinegun — ImgBB

SOURCES

Spoiler

MOTORISERTE MILITÆRKJØRETØY I NORGE - HMKSHOP - Depot Moane
https://www.facebook.com/groups/243840341664/search/?q=panserbiler norskbygde
Kongsberg Våpenhstoriske Forening
Ammunisjon i kaliber 7,92x61 mm Tung
Redirecting...

POLL

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

This post was made by
Til_Dovre_Faller
Also known as
Warthunder_Norway

Only one MG? Dude, we dont have infantry in game

3 Likes

I could maybe see it being added if it had a 12.7 mm MG, but a rifle calibre MG is too small to be of any use.

7 Likes

We got unprotected infantry on top of some vehicles tough 😉😉

Yes, BR 0.3 is good for this

1 Like

80% of enemies has armor and BFK guns

1 Like

Yep, .50 and it would be a tank destroyer hehe
Unfortunately this only had the norwegian colt m/29 chambered in 7.92x61mm

With 90s APDS for that caliber, maybe. But yeah, penetration is gonna be the doom for this vehicle.

And for the Po-2 value, its probably not the best option given the meme status of other vehicles like the Bob Semple

1 Like

Then this can pose a treath to the last 20% hehe😉

For the last 20% I have Jakobi or Focker. This is a slow, non-armored, non-mobile, two-seater, medium-sized vehicle WITHOUT weapons, because the MG is an additional weapon that is used extremely rarely. On the same BR there are M2A2, Pz2 and a Swedish 101mm pen projectile.

Meme vehicles have its value tough :)

1 Like

Hehe yep, it could serve as a limited spaa ;)
I believw it could take out most spaas, as many are trucks with little to no armor, and 7.92 can punch trough a littile bit of steel plating

I’m sorry, have you ever played Sweden? If so, then you know that the speed of the guidance drives is much slower than the tail-stung biplanes. And also that the average he51 will survive about 670 7.62 bullets

1 Like

I can’t really see this being too useful. Its main armament equates to what a lot of reserve tanks have as a coaxial. Even as an SPAA, it would have a relatively low rate of fire and only one machine gun, whereas most machine gun AA at lower ranks (think GAZ-AAA 4M or Light AA Mk I) have at least a few machine guns. For the few situations you could use this, against trucks or unarmored vehicles, you could do the same job if not quicker with a tank. Even for “memes” I don’t really think it should be added. I do appreciate the write up though, it’s interesting learning more about this particular vehicle.

1 Like

Great suggestion from a historical view. But it wouldn’t fit in the game as it currently stands

2 Likes

Yep hehe, pnly a couple vehicles left in that tree

7.62x51 and 7.92x61 are a little difference, 7.92 deals more damage than the 7.62. Larger case larger bullet :) Norway used these machineguns as anti air and mounted them on some of our planes

Not everyone know’s about it, that is a big part of the reason i suggested it :)

The M/29 machinegun was a s a fact used for anti air as well, as in the picture in the post, it is used as anti air, with anti air sights as well. It was also put on various pla es such as the m.f 11 & 9 even the heinkel he115 planes, it was done because the cartrigde dealt more damage, before this it was used lewis machineguns, madsen rekylgevær, and much others in various calibers

But yes, only one mg with limited speed and elevation doesnt bring much value for an anti air role

It confuses me how people can look at such weakly armed vehicles and still request them

3 Likes

Because, Rikstanken

1 Like

While i do like to see some norwegian representation ingame, i really don’t see where you would use a tank with only a machinegun against other tanks. It was designed to be used against infantery, which War Thunder does not have.

1 Like