Koolhoven F.K. 58 Prototype "PH-AVA", the 2nd Prototype!

Would you like to see the 2nd Prototype of the Koolhoven F.K. 58 ingame?
  • Yes.
  • No.
0 voters
In what techtree would you like to see this aircraft be added in?
  • In a future Dutch/BeNeLux techtree.
  • In the French BeNeLux sub-tree
  • In the British techtree.
  • In the German techtree.
  • Other (Please explain in the comments).
  • I said “No” in the first question.
0 voters

Hello everyone! Today I’m going to suggest the second prototype of the Koolhoven F.K. 58!

The 2nd Prototype F.K. 58, with the machine guns installed under the wings
Source: Foto's

Just to make things clear, this Prototype was owned by Koolhoven. Since that is a Dutch company, and since no other country operated this Prototype, I’m suggesting this one for the Netherlands.

History

Spoiler

The 2nd Prototype F.K. 58 taxiing

The origins of this aircraft started with the French (Something that seems to happen more often then you think with Dutch aircraft). At the end of the 1930’s the French government was desperate for more fighter aircraft. And so then started looking towards both domestic and foreign options to fill this demand, but on the foreign market things were not as easy. The Curtiss-Wright Hawk’s the French had ordered were very expensive and the British air industry had their hands full with RAF orders. And Germany was seen as a potential future enemy, so no requests were made towards them.

The only option that remained was the Netherlands. But even here the biggest company, Fokker, also had their hands full with orders for the Dutch Airforce. And so the next best option was the Dutch company Koolhoven.

The founder of Koolhoven, Frits Koolhoven, was certainly an interesting man. And when the French contacted him about their problem, mister Koolhoven simply replied with: “So you need fast and excellent fighter aircraft. Well let’s just built one for you.” And so works immediately started on this new aircraft, given the design number (Ontwerp) 1166, and when the design reached a futher stage, the name F.K. 58.

By July 1938 the first prototype of the F.K. 58 was ready to fly. After this 1st Prototype carried out more flights, it didn’t take long for work to start on a second prototype.

The 2nd Prototype was more a Pre-Production version of the production model F.K. 58. Compared to the 1st Prototype the 2nd Prototype had a few slight improvements:

• It had a hydraulic landing gear instead of a mechanical one, which saved weight.
  • The tail wheel was mounted 30 cm more forward.
  • The tension of the stabilizer had been strengthened.
  • The exhaust system was improved.

The 2nd Prototype made it’s first flight on the 14th of Febuari 1939. It was flown by Thomas Coppers, the same man who flew the 1st Prototype. On the 31st of March 1939 the aircraft was shown to the Dutch Air Force. It was flown by various Dutch pilots, who all talked very favourably about the aircraft.

Sadly there is not much else the 2nd Prototype did after that. The aircraft was in storage by the time Germany invaded the Netherlands. And on the 10th of May 1940 German bombers bombed the Koolhoven factory, destroying it completely and taking the 2nd Prototype F.K. 58 with it.

A side view of the 2nd Prototype F.K. 58

Design

Spoiler

A top view of the 2nd Prototype F.K. 58
Source: Koolhoven F.K.58 - Destination's Journey

The Koolhoven F.K. 58 was a small lightweight fighter with a retractable landing gear. The 2nd Prototype was powered by a 1,063 hp Hispano-Suiza 14AA engine which gave it very good performance due to planes small size.

The straight line speed at an altitude of 5,300 meters was 483 km/h. And the max dive speed recorded was a staggering 890 km/h! Keep in mind the aircraft did this in 1938, which lead to people calling this the fastest aircraft in the world at the time.

The weaponry given to the 2nd Prototype was four 7.5 mm FN-Browning mle 38 machine guns. These guns were used because that is what the French Air Force wanted on their versions. As can be seen in the proto below, the machine guns were added in underwing pods that had two machine guns each.

A drawing of the landing gear and machine gun pod under the wing
Source: Koolhoven FK-58

Specifications

Spoiler

A drawing of the F.K. 58

Crew: 1 Pilot
Length: 8.71 m
Wingspan: 11.02 m
Wing area: 17.23 m2
Height: 3 m
Empty weight: 1,800 kg
Full weight: 2,550 kg
Powerplant: Hispano-Suiza 14AA (1,063 hp)

Maximum straight line speed: 483 km/h at 5,300 meters
Maximum recorded dive speed: 890 km/h
Service ceiling: 10,500 m

Armament
Guns:
4 × 7.5 mm FN-Browning mle 38 machine guns

Ingame

Spoiler

As usualy with my Dutch vehicle suggestions, I ofcourse want to see this ingame in a Dutch or BeNeLux techtree. F.K. 58 is an interesting one since it was made for the French Air Force. And since the Dutch Air Force never operated any, this 2nd (And also the 2nd) Prototype is the only way to get a Dutch one in the game.

The aircraft would be a perfect Rank 1 / 2 fighter. It’s weaponry is not exactly great, but the performance of the aircraft is amazing. It’s a very small, lightweight fighter with a 1,000 hp engine!

Personally I would love to see this in a Dutch/BeNeLux techtree. This specific Prototype could be a nice little premium in my opinion. But let me know where you would like to see this ingame in the poll above!

The 2nd Prototype F.K. 58 taxiing, giving us a good view of the gun pods under the wings

So there you have it! Please make sure to vote in the poll above, and let me know what you think of this little fighter aircraft!

More Photos

Spoiler

Sources

Spoiler

Main sources:

Secondairy sources:

Extra sources:

Photos:

4 Likes

This has my immediate +1. I have to say I’m rather disappointed by how much copy and paste the subtree ended up having, not that I expected any less. Still, I’d love to see more Indigenous BeNeLux vehicles even if it is in the context of the subtree.

6 Likes