Just why?

Why cant you drop the GBU 39 over mach 1 the GBU 39 can be dropped from higher speeds even over mach 1 pls fix. And why does the F15e for isreal get the new engines but the american one not?

3 Likes

cause it can fly back up into your plane and explode- basically suicide to drop a bomb above Mach 1 (in-game and irl)

2 Likes

F-22 Raptor performs first supersonic SDB drop > Edwards Air Force Base > News (af.mil)

They have already been dropping them while supersonic all the way back in 2008.

“An SDB has never been dropped from a supersonic aircraft,” said Maj. Michael Starr, 411th FLTS test pilot. “Supersonic separation testing will give the F-22 the ability to drop the SDB at supersonic speeds, which synergistically enhances the Raptor’s air-to-air mission.”

This was a critical step in achieving the goal of employing a “fully operational small-diameter bomb,” said Capt. Chris Smith, 411th FLTS flight test engineer. The 411th FLTS is planning on performing more supersonic drops as part of this testing.

3 Likes

Sounds like they would have to use bombs designed for such a thing.

1. balancing due to the 15I missing AGM’s
  2. if im correct most F-15E’s in service still use the 220’s while all 15I’s use 229’s.
1 Like

I’m not super versed in specifically the F-22 or the GBU 39, but doesn’t the F-22 “jettison” its munitions out of the bay instead of just “dropping” them?

If that is the case then that will help combat the issue of glide bombs flying back up into the plane after release.

i wouldn’t say mavericks for 229s is a fair deal tbh

i would say a strike aircraft that can carry auto tracking munitions but is missing almost all of them isnt fair either.

true, i mean if F-15I got spice bombs it’d feel a lot more fair

they could have just given us the GBU-53/B StormBreaker which is the same bomb but with an IR seeker. imaging the carnage on ground rb with 20 of them flying around the map lol

IIR seeker or just IR?

Guidance: Imaging infrared, millimeter waver radar, digital semi-active laser

Its really a more versatile weapon that the 39b, but the 53b was an upgrade because of the 39b. Wouldnt be surprised if we got the 53b on the last update of the year.

They just put the external GBU-39 rack inside the F-22, there is no change in release as the bombs are attached to the same rack that is used for external carriage.

The rack already clears the weapon from the aircraft, both on internal and external carriage as they need to deploy their wings.

Same rack on the F/A-18 for refrence.

2 Likes

testing, its being tested however that tech is not in game so it cant apply, also synergistically ?? That sounds made up lol

This have been talked about so many times and I don’t wanna explain it again.

It’s because of low-high pressure zones over the wing. Essentially the bomb wants to stick to the pylon and wing because the air wants to fill in the High Pressure zone under the wing, causing it to lift the bomb up.

It was being tested in 2008 to be certified for operation on the F-22, it is currently 2024, and if you spent the time to read the actual article, there was multiple supersonic drops completed.

To that same end, a weapon or ability being “tested” has always been enough for gaijin, or we would not have the Yak-141.

Good thing that the F-15s we have in game don’t drop the SBDs from the wings since all their current carriage is under the fuselage.

2 Likes

There is still a high pressure zone from drag against the fuselage…

Cool then I guess the F-22 was not able to drop these SBDs … except they did, with the same racks that is used for all SBD deployments on all other US aircraft.

Yes, from an internal compartment, which has entirely different properties from being mounted directly to a fuselage or wing.

The “rack” it’s mounted to has no bearing with it, it has to do with pressure zones, which, while in a enclosed compartment, that is then opened, breaks the high pressure zone, let alone the fact the bomb is above the pressure zone, which doesn’t now exist.

1 Like

we dont have the f-22 in game so your supersonic drop reasoning isn’t really valid in this situation, had it been the f-15 or f-16 instead of the f22 though that would have been a different story.

1 Like