General Japanese & JASDF General Discussion

I mean it did use it although this might lead to it going up a BR.

2 Likes

From speaking with _Jaek, seems like it might just be a tac view thing. However, he did mention that AAM-3 got its IRCCM changed which might be a buff.

Link to reddit comment.

5 Likes

Good News, under-wing drop tanks were finally added

12 Likes

Why haven’t the t2 and f1 gotten their radar lead indicators back yet? Is there a particular reason or is it gaijin being lazy?

1 Like

“F-2 at home” lol

I do wish they’d color the pylons and the fuel tank to match the camo though.

2 Likes

F-86F-40 already has 2x 9Bs. AAM-1 is functionally just a home-built copy.

Looks like the fuel those carry is a combined total of 370 gallons though. A little bit low considering the combined volume of both should likely be double that of what the belly tank is.

I doubt Gaijin cares.

I’m just saying that it having AAM-1s wouldn’t cause it to go up a BR.

And I’m saying Gaijin doesn’t need a reason to not. AAM-1 may just be a worse version of the Aim-9B but it won’t make a difference, Gaijin moves stuff for the sake of existing.

1 Like

AAM-1 would probably be an AIM-9E equivalent, possibliy even slightly better. While there isn’t much information on it it is said to have been superior to the AIM-9B, while the 9E was only preferred due to the significantly lower cost.

I’d assume in game it would be identical to the AIM-9E.

5 Likes

Nope, it was superior ever so slightly to an AIM-9B but worse than the Aim-9E. However this is still a reason for Gaijin to pump it up to .3.

1 Like

A marginal buff like that hardly seems like a reason to increase the br of the sabre

1 Like

Do you have any more concrete information on the missile?

I feel like everything is worded pretty vaguely and the only things I found to be certain were that it was superior to the 9B (not how much), and that the 9E was bought due to low cost.

Actual information could make it a lot easier to add another domestic Japanese missiles and make the tree feel a bit more unique.

2 Likes

Welcome to Gaijin, where we question it every day.

Spoiler

Since AAM-4 is guided by a special modulation scheme by J/ARG-1, it does not seem to fall under the RWR threat library and cannot be detected, but is it difficult to reproduce in WT in the published documents? There seems to be a patent from Melco, though.

2 Likes

What about the seeker on the AAM-4A? I’d think the J/ARG-1 is for the aircraft to talk to the missile, but once the missile uses its own seeker it should be similar to other ARH missiles right?

2 Likes

It appears that AAM-4 uses the same modulation scheme not only for the command transmitter, but also for the active radar seeker and active radar proximity fuse.
The system seems to use 1Ghz (UHF band), which means that it cannot enter the threat library of RWR (SHF, optimized for the X-band band) and cannot be detected.
Although TRDI’s 50-year history mentions a special modulation device, it seems necessary to look for patents or other documents on the relevant technology for details.

4 Likes