Is the j35xs Jet Worth It? Major Concerns Over Potential 50% Turn Rate Nerf in War Thunder

Ive put in requests to the swedish military for data on that, hopefully they give some useful info

Edit: also reached out to the finnish

1 Like

That’s for the JA, I had the AJ/AJS manuals. Maybe if we can’t stop the JA nerf yet, we can keep a AJ/AJS nerf from coming.

1 Like

Yeah, I hope so. The one im most concerned about is the J35 though, totally not my favorite plane ever

To my understanding, AoA capability for Draken has nothing to do with the sustained rate performance. So I don’t know why cobras are being brought up when it has nothing to do with the sustained rate performance.

AoA (angle of attack) is just a measurement of the aircraft’s angle in relation to the surface of the earth. The AoA is only possible because of the amount of °/s turn rate the aircraft has.

Instantaneous turn rate isn’t directly related to sustaintaneous turn rate. One can have a better sustained rate than a plane that has a better instantaneous rate. It’s still possible for them to buff Draken’s ability to do a cobra even after they nerf the sustain rates.

Okay, so, if the airframe can withstand the G-force, and the pilot doesn’t black out, the flaps are deflecting (not realistically to the actual Draken, just an example) 45°, it’s going to turn extremely fast, sustained G’s only matter when the airframe can’t handle it, in the case of the Draken, it most certainly can. Besides, everyone knows the Triangle is the strongest shape. The Draken can definitely turn way faster than this dudes report, and as others have said, the math is total BS.

Pulling a 90° turn in under a second doesn’t sound like a lack of frame strength, nor a lack of maneuverability, and in a sustained turn, a 90° turn in roughly 2.6 seconds doesn’t sound like the “bug report” this guy tried to get through.

1 Like

SAAB_35_Draken_performing_the_Cobra_maneuver-1

He’s not a troll, and he’s using actual forces, gaijin confirmed this. If you have sources with conflicting information that’s another story, but as it stands he is using publicly available info to correct vehicles to historical standards.

AOA is in relation to the direction of motion not the ground. You arent pulling 20 deg AOA in a 20 deg climb….

1 Like

The Angle Of Attack is your relative degree to the deck, flat is 00, 10° is 10 or 1, and so on…

Please open a fluid dynamics book or just use google

1 Like

I really don’t get why people are so fascinated with cobra manoeuvre - even Cessna can go beyond 90deg AoA…

I mean it is a cool manuever, however being able to do 90 deg of AOA doesn‘t necessarily make a plane rate well

That’s because that’s not a cobra, a cobra is a full 90° in a half a second, extremely fast and tolling in the pilots body and the airframe.

cobra as such does not say at what speed you have to do it so achieving 90deg+ AoA in flight counts in my book and as shown on photo I posted, Cessna can, using your definition of AoA, achieve 90deg+*

*I even have picture where same plane achieved 180deg AoA (as defined by you) so screw cobra, it can do kulbit ;)

90° I’m relation to the ground, it resets after 90°, and works its way back down to 0°, and if you keep going, it’s eventually 90°

90°?
Pretty sure it goes beyond that in a second or so

not if you use his definition of AoA ;)

1 Like

well according to him every plane can pull 90+ deg of AOA :)

1 Like