Inaccurate and annoying volumetric model

This is less of a “This is an issue that I am calling out” and more “I’m having problems and want to see your solutions for them”. The title is kinda self explanatory. The volumetric armor model has been known for YEARS to be extremely inaccurate and constantly get people killed, non pen shots, do all sorts of weird stuff. After encountering a couple especially annoying incident when I volumetriced a shell from the Jagtiger, literally a compressed Maus cannon, on the barrel of a PT-76B with it doing nothing, I’ve started wondering “how would the community, especially veteran players with more game time than me, fix this issue?”. The two simple problems I’ve noted most: 1: Shells randomly despawning or doing minimal damage on heavy side skirts, certain angles on barrels, and specific spots on curved mantlets, mostly russian. 2: The arcade pen indicator showing green, but actually doing nothing. I sometimes play arcade to refresh my memory of weakspots and stuff, help spot vehicles better, that sort of thing, and I frequently notice, I badly disable an enemy, so pretty normal, and I line up another shot where his ammo should be or the remaining crew members, the pen indicator is green, he literally can’t move so nothing’s changing, I shoot, and it just completely despawns and does nothing on a shot that in the protection map should wipe out the entire tank. Anybody have particular advice on how to avoid this, knowledge of what’s happening, and, hopefully, a potential solution or bug patch to remedy it?

Volumetric armor is weaker on average due to no longer having over-lapping plates to cause high-thickness parts of armor.
If you’re getting non-pens… congrats on bouncing off weaker armor.

Not an issue with volumetric. Barrels are jusr buggy. Even before volumetric was a thing, they had issues.

Not volumetric armor. Its thr game not being able to properly calculate the round hitting 2 plates. They need a better penetration calculator.

Not entirely sure what you are saying here. The shell despawning is desync. The guns also have bullet spread so the round isnt going to hit exactly were you are aimed at

Generally, they need better simulations to stop the jank from the spaghetti code

1 Like