IMBT and A2CS: the future of the Italian army

This topic will mainly cover the new IMBT (that means Italian Main Battle tank) and the A2CS programme.

• IMBT (Italian Main Battle Tank): the IMBT Is a joint development between the Italian Leonardo and the German Rheinmetall in order to provide to the Italian army a new Main Battle tank based on the KF51 Panther with Italian parts, like the optics, targeting systems and maiby even the engines (note that we don’t have any actual confirmation for now, the parts I’m mentioning are the most likely to be changed, but we don’t have any actual confirmation for now).
    A total of 283 units were ordered, 130 in the normale combat variants and the remaining 143 in various recovery versions.

• A2CS: The A2CS Is a programme for the acquisition of a new IFV for replace the Dardo and the old M113. After a competition were various veichles were evaluated, the Italian army chosed the German Lynx. Off couse, the Lynx chosed by the Italian army won’t be the same as the german One, as It will be equipped with Italian parts and turrets in order to funfill the Italian army requirments. A total of 1100 units were ordered, in a lot of different configuration, here presented by the Italian army themself (disclaimer: all the renders are placeolder)

Combat: Classic IFV version with a missile-less turret with only the gun
Esplorante Da 120 mm: a light tank version equipped with a 120 mm turret (probably the Hitfact MK2)
Fire Support: unknown version
Posto Comando: a turret less command veichle
Contro Carri: anty tank version, with a full turret armed with a cannon and atgm
Guastatori: Anty mine veichle
Posto munizione: ammo carrier
Mortaio Pesante: A variant equipped with an Heavy mortar
Anti Drone: An anty drone version
Porta Feriti: a variant for recovery wounded soldiers
Combat Esplorante: Unknown version
Scuola Guida: a variant used for train the crews
ACRT: a combat variant equipped with a dozer
Mortaio Medio: a variant equipped with a medium mortar

Pictures

Riepilogo

An Italian army slide were It Is possible to see again the Lynx anty air variant

A render made by Rheinmetall, but probably the actual Italian Lynx will look very different

7 Likes

@x_Shini It was confirmed on a RID Magazine that Italy will buy the skyranger 35 version too

Oh could you send that article?
Its special italy wants to get the 35mm version. Everyone else ordered the 30mm one which is further developed

Unfortunatly no, I don’t have it, I was told by someone who bought it (and I made a mistake, it was the skynex 35 not the skyranger)

Ahh, that makes much more sense.
But realy is just boring the skynex is nothing new and was already in italian use.
They might be repleneshing the ones donated to ukraine

as far as I am aware, we never purchased it in the past (the only connection it has with Italy is that it is produced in Rome by Rheinmetall Italia).

Either way the skynex is more of a field base defense system and not a troop defense system.

A new picture showing a lot of interesting data dropped recently (From Leonardo).
Also apparently, the new IFV won’t be a modified Lynx but a new veichle based on It (like the IMBT).
@x_Shini

oh nice intresting

The fact that the IFV won’t be a direct version of the Lynx like the IMBT gave also to the German tt more possibilities to earn the basic design and prototypes

oh there is more then enough lynx versions that are possible, the australian declined lynx is an easy choice as excample

But that italy bascialy is designing their own one is great news since that where they shine either way as well and it doesnt “steal” from any other nations yeah

1 Like

Apparently, an initial batch of IMBt and A2CS will be made in Germany for speed up deliveries while the biggest number of units will be made in Italy after this initial batch.
@x_Shini

so pretty much same progress like it was done with Hungary
That being said, i doubt people would argue that one, KF41 was german developed IMBT and A2CS from the start were co developed by and for italy

1 Like