If you could, how would you re-balance CAS in Ground Battles?

Of course we take into consideration that some people just want to play tanks and they have no other place to use them, so having a random team can consist of mostly just tank players ;)

1 Like

Not relevant to anything I said but nice try.

You do not understand the irony.

Your energy would be better spent:

Engaging in a Thread regarding Tank Only (this is not a thread regarding Tank Only).

Making a Suggestion to Gaijin, rather than using a random survey and expecting an answer.

Stop trying to put people off using SPAA and CAP in game. Both work in the context of GFRB (yes, it won’t help those wanting tank only combat, please see first two points as answers that).

Not like people have been over this many many times, but the general TO Movement seems stalled in their mission.

It is relevant to the topic of GF RBs mode and usage of CAS/SPAA.

Where have I said anything about not using CAP in game?

The things are relevant in a topic regarding GF RBs mode and balance of CAS. You can claim otherwise but things I talk about are affecting the balance.

1 Like

I would make any cas with bombs/ rockets cost almost as much as nuke + the same system as current nuke and arcade battles where they have to leave their tank on the ground to use it. Other than that a completely separate combined arms mode for all the CAS players who will cry about it.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve commented on the subject of CAS because I’m getting on quite well with it.
I would just like to throw into the room that I personally feel “compelled” to do CAP if I want to win.
The ignorance of many towards enemy aircraft is now enormous.
I’ve played a whopping 50 battles today. Every second kill was an aeroplane. 138 ground vehicles and 75 aeroplanes. At this point I just want to shout my only wish into the room:

TANK ONLY MODE! I NEED A BREAK!

Homer Simpson Revenge GIF - Homer Simpson Revenge Anger GIFs

5 Likes

Planes need to lose markers and ground needs more markers for air, would also go a long way.

No reason why a plane should be notified of a tank’s location from 5km away because they got hit by an MG, a mechanic that doesn’t make sense on the ground either and doesn’t fit a ‘realistic’ mode.

Planes also should not be able to see zones being captured, it’s like moths to a flame and impossible to cap with CAS around.

Being able to scout air needs to be a thing.

It’s way too difficult to spot things.

What? How are you supposed to spot this?

And drones appearing as planes is also weird.

And nerfing thermals sights without explanation

Literally worse now to use them

3 Likes

To be fair
That is a biplane

I’m not sure if that explains the stealth tech tho.

IKEA power™

1 Like

A few CAS nerfs.

• Cas spawn on runways. This limits revenge bombing and easy cap bombing by delaying their initial response to the battlefield.

• Add more Inclement weather that affects flight characteristics and visibility. Have a few matches where they need to rely on ground spotting more. There are often stories where battles have been delayed or executed on days due to weather affecting air support, not every day in war is a bright and sunny day.

• Do something about bombing spawn, like make bombs not fuse in the bomb zone. You want a guaranteed kill? just drop a big bomb in the enemy spawn and you are likely get a few kills. I’m guilty of this as well.

• Increase the SP cost of laser guided bombs. I keep seeing top tier matches end with one A-4E Early dropping paveway from low orbit.

And then a few AA buffs.

• Make AA more rewarding to play (Increase plane kill rewards) and give them more to do like scouting

• Fill in tech tree gaps so there is more AA options to play.

• Lower BR of a few non radar autocannon AA but remove the AP belts or something. Feels like AA is balanced of how well they kill other tanks and not how well they performs at their roll.

• Add a resupply spot that is outside of spawn but not a cap point for AA (And other tanks). This could just be for maps that are single point or very large maps. AA thats not good at killing tanks going to a cap point seems like a death sentence.

2 Likes

Some good ideas there, I think one other big issue with CAS is also the sheer number of planes up at once. Anyone that has played SPAAs at any rank is familiar with shooting at one plane and having several others strafe you, the stream of tracer from your guns is a giant “FREE KILL” sign to every other plane in the sky.
Here are some Ideas I had to deal with both the spamming of planes and the sometimes long periods of inaction when playing SPAAs when the enemy team isn’t spawning planes (and yes some of these are better then others and many of them could be combined):
A) Simply limit the number of planes that each team can have in the air at any one time. If you die in a plane you get a few minutes of CD (only for pulling planes obviously) to give some others a chance to fly for a bit and prevent people hogging the air slots.
B) Implement something similar to GAB, where a battle triggers and X amount of people can pull a plane in their line up every few mins. There are a few options here, you could just let the “event” go until everyone is shot down or have a timer where they RTB at the end and avoid a repair. (this would have to be reworked significantly from the arcade model, from letting players use their own planes and load outs to how the point system to determine what load outs they could pull)
C) Have a dedicated SPAA slot that that players can switch to to control their SPAAs, when they switch the SPAA would spawn in at a dedicated SPAA site, preferably safe from ground fire, to engage enemy air threats. once they switch back to their main tank, or the CAS takes them out, the SPAA would go on a CD while its repaired and rearmed. This could be implemented in tandem with B where a number of players could switch to SPAA to engage the air battle. (something like this was used in the Strumtiger event I believe)
D) Dedicate (X) amount of slots per game to dedicated air, players in those slots can play air and only air, nobody else can pull it (maybe both air and ground players can pull helicopters?) Those players will start out with only the base plane and have to earn points to pull air to ground weapons, much like how Naval EC starts with destroyers and works up to heavier ships. (This would also eliminate revenge bombing, and the “Air support” modification in light tanks could be rework to make it a requirement for planes to see a spotted target)

That would help a lot, but if I could suggest a more protected rearm area behind the spawn, some of the more modern SPAAs have the massive radar unit that pokes up out of the cover in most spawns that just begs for a HE shell, not to mention that the spawn it the first place that plane/ helies check for SPAAs, but its better to return there to reload than try to drive a bus across the battlefield. Also increasing the rearm speed of SPAAs (at least the ones that dont moonlight as TDs) and letting Spaas like the Ozelot re-arm a spent missile while stationary (Like replenishing an auto loader, but obviously as it would require the crew to exit the vehicle it would need to stay stationary) would also help massively… also proper Grid sights and fire control for SPAAs… here’s a WW2 training film for SPAA gunners that shows (SOME) what the current system is demanding of players trying to hit a plane need to do blind:

What is actually wrong with CAS ? Is it not doing what its intended to do ? Trouble is it seems the devs are constantly nerfing ,often in secret and still the forum mob scream for more nerfing and the game just loses its purpose.At some point gaijin have to say " no,we are happy how it is,play or dont"

LOL, before I answer that… name ONE time CAS was (as you claim) nerfed! last I checked they buffed the hell outta it by allowing air to ground guided munitions to fired even easier ( it was already possible) with out using the actual sight.

5 Likes

Its hard to say because so much is done in secret that it leads to so much paranoia its hard to tell if something has changed or not.Certainly auto air crews have been reduced in effectiveness and it seems SP has been raised in many cases. Question when do we say we have arrived at our destination? Is Warthunder currently fit to play or not?

when the altitude GBU’s guide was changed, i’ll consider that a nerf cause its easier to overshoot compared to before the change

• SP cost are continuously increasing
  • Capture range of GBUs was significantly reduced
  • All AGMs have a fraction of the range they should (and can be very very touchy when there is even a wisp of a cloud)
  • Most T-pods are currently Gen 1 despite the fact they should be Gen 2
  • MANY CAS aircraft have nerfed components or missing features. Tornado has about a dozen buffs/fixes it could get that would buff it in CAS
  • the BRs of many aircraft may also be skewed due to having a BR for both air and ground modes. That should be fixed next major. Some CAS may move down a fair bit. (Thinking MFG/WTD61 that are 11.0 due to 9Ls but don’t really have any more firepower than the Jaguar Gr1 at 9.7 but there are more)

CAS IS in a nerfed state currently. And that’s not mentioning the fact we should have aircraft with very good A2G weapons by now like Brimstone but don’t only because of Ground. Despite the fact they’d be great for air modes

Now, as clearly demonstrated in my long comment above. I recognise that the current balance isnt tenable. But CAS is in a far more nerfed state than it could be and some of those nerfs are actually pretty bad.

1 Like

The issue with “CAS” and im going to use that term very loosely. Is that at some BRs, on some maps, in some nation vs nation match-ups. CAS can be very very OP.

A well played CAS, under ideal conditions can essentially be untouchable by SPAA and can put down a constant stream of fire that a lot vehicles may not be able to defend against. For example:

I queued in my 11.3 line-up and got a full downtier (10.3-11.3) on the big Tunisia map. I eventually spawned in the Tornado Gr1 and spent 10-15 minutes firing PGMs cross map and the 10.3 SPAAs the enemy team had were doing nothing. Now a single CAP would have killed me with ease. But none decided to spawn a CAP.

(CAP SP costs is an entirely seperate issue and I think CAP shouldnt cost more than maybe 150-200 SP)

The challenge is balancing CAS that is fair without nuking it. The biggest change should be a total ground up overhaul of how SP costs are calculated for aircraft. Which would both simutaneously buff and nerf CAS.

But first they need to add SPAA to fill all the holes, generally buff/refine SPAA and especially at top tier. Decompress and add better SPAA. I think until thats actually done. “CAS Nerfs” are rather tricky to get right, for example for me playing Britain. I have no SPAA between 5.3 and 8.3 So the Skink or Bosvark gets used extensively throughout that BR. A 5.3 Skink SHOULD be bad vs a 7.7 CAS jet. But despite the fact that Britains only SPAA for that BR is a 5.3 doesnt mean that 7.7 CAS should be nerfed…

I read that and see the issue but you nail the real issue and that is not the Tornado but the fact nobody bothered to spawn cap so why nerf CAS if that is the case? Its a human vs human game with every permutation that brings so why keep nerfing and fixing the program when its the players that are the issue?