Hughes E-6 fire control system for F-89D

Would you like to see this fire control system in-game for the F-89D (and other rocket interceptors in the future)?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

The F-89D is currently missing its fire control system, a critical part of its rocket armament and design. The F-89D used a Hughes E-6 fire control system, which would constantly calculate the launch solution for the rocket armament based on ownship movement and target movement, and in “RADAR” mode, the rockets would not fire unless the fire control system determined that the rockets would hit. Additionally, the E-6 FCS offered a manual “dumb-fire” backup mode.

(T.O. 1F-89D-1, 4-46)

(Thomas, 2008)

This system was used for making all-aspect attacks on high-flying strategic bombers without exposing the aircraft to long periods of time in the gunsights of turret gunners.

I would like to suggest that this be introduced into the game as a combination of radar gun lead and CCRP. The gun lead indicator should appear, but if the system locked on to a target, the rockets cannot fire unless the rocket boresight aligns with the center of the lead dot indicator–as if it was CCRP. Holding down the trigger should also have the same effect.

As far as I know, no simulation game on the market offers this as a feature. Its introduction would provide a novel radar function for players interested in radars and early USAF interceptor aircraft. There is a lot of fun to be had by introducing this feature, increasing the depth of play for fighter combat, and introducing a new method of accomplishing deflection shooting in dogfights or interceptions.

Along with making the F-89 more fun to play, adding this mechanic would provide an effective method for the F-86D or L, the F-94 Starfire, the F-102, the F-106, and more to aim and fire their ordnance. The AIM-4 armed interceptors could also benefit from this if they were to be added, as the AIM-4 fire control systems all used various forms of this aiming method to increase hit chance.

Sources:
T.O. 1F-89D-1

https://www.skytamer.com/Northrop_1951_N-35_F-89B.html

Wildenberg, Thomas. “A Visionary Ahead of His Time: Howard Hughes and the U.S. Air Force—Part III: The Falcon Missile and Airborne Fire Control.” Air Power History 55, no. 2 (2008): 4–13.

7 Likes

Very cool, I think this would add a lot of depth of play. +1

3 Likes

+1, the cold war American interceptors were seriously cool aircraft and their fire control computers were a huge part of them.

1 Like

It’s a shame that a lot of vehicles lack their fire control fire suppression systems. So +1

1 Like

this isnt a fire suppression system…

You know what I mean. The point is a lot of these systems and such are still lacking. Even if i get things wrong, just saying a lot of this stuff is missing despite the fact that it really shouldn’t.

1 Like

If you want the accurate fire control system then you should also get only three shots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 Likes

I don’t mind that trade-off if the system is modeled in such a way that you can use it effectively.

2 Likes

The system was not effective.

And unlike the game, IRL, M439:

1- Is a variable time fuze, not a proximity fuze.

2- Was never used by the F-89D, and F-89D’s fire control system didn’t have the ability to set the distance for time fuzes.

3- Had a minimum distance of 500m.

2 Likes

The system was quite effective. The Battle of Palmdale is poorly covered in history books & magazines by people who do not understand how these systems work. From everything I can find, it was a radar failure due to poor maintenance.
They are electronically not significantly different from the gun fire control systems that people seem to praise so much over the rocket systems.
When the radar and computer were properly maintained it worked perfectly fine.

I’m aware that the VT fuze is incorrect. If memory serves it was for helicopters. Are you also aware that they’ve got the wrong motor length and the M439 warhead is longer than the original Mk. 4 FFAR?
That’s something I have queued up for reporting if this suggestion is passed. I’ve also got a report out on the incorrect radar modeling of the F-89D.

4 Likes

Some pictures of an example Radar scope for a nearly identical fire control system from the F-86L manual and explanations

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/Pjoi_u3E9DA Promotional movie for the F-89 including some rocket-firing videos against what appears to be a QB-17

2 Likes