Helicopter PVE Rocky Canyon balance issues

At low BR (9.0) heli-pve, Rocky Canyon the enemy SPAA in convoys are either able to see you before the average missile launch range (M42) or when they do see you there is almost no chance on avoiding their fire (ZA-35). Since the most time of the battle you are forced to destroy convoys, most of the players leave the battle after being killed be the convoy SPAA 2-3 times and the ones who remain in the battle have to wait until next attack on the next grid square or to wait for the convoy to make the attack themselves (Almost all convoys spawn at the opposite side of the map).

3 Likes

Oh, yeah. Rocky Canyon is just an unbalanced, unfun mess of a map for Heli PvE.

It’s also one of the few high alt maps, making maneuverability worse.

3 Likes

I think the high alt of the map is a cool thing for this map that makes you think into the way you spend your energy which is the coolest part about this map (After the bridges ofc).

Ngl the layout itself is bad. half the target being far below others meaning you have to dive and climb repeatedly sucks. I’d just remove the map.

3 Likes

I mean, when it’s arcade there’s not really any thought, especially with the current problems…

Yes, this map is really tough on helis that have 3/4km ATGM ranges.
The AI for SPAAs here is extremely unbalanced and it also seems that the desync between the visual models and the actual damage models is even worse than usual.

This map should be limited to 10.0+ helis, with auto tracking and long range missiles.

6 Likes

Even then, it falls flat because of how buggy the AI gets at long ranges. Glitched into the map, unable to acquire with IRST…

Well, that is a problem present on most if not all maps (Vietnam is quite bad at 7-8kms too), so this would be a topic for a broader conversation.
But TOWs on Rocky Canion hit 1 out of 3 times on a good day, and then you get show down.

True.

Mi-24V/P sad noises.

1 Like