Hawker Siddeley AV-8S - Royal Thai Navy's Harrier

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Hawker Siddeley AV-8S - Royal Thai Navy’s Harrier

Hi and welcome to my 56th, which is about the Thai AV-8S, hope you like it. :popcorn:

First of all:

• Feel free to share more Information and / or correct me if something is wrong
  • Discuss respectfully, any aggressive kind or verbal abuse will be reported, the Forum rules also apply here

grafik

Background History

The AV-8S’ origins date back to the late 1950s, when the British company Hawker Siddeley began working on a VTOL aircraft. The goal of the project was to develop a fighter aircraft that could operate independently of long runways to increase flexibility in wartime. This led to the development of the Hawker P.1127 prototype, which made its first flight in 1960.
After a series of tests and further developments, the concept was refined, resulting in the Hawker Siddeley Kestrel. The positive results from the Kestrel’s testing made the way for series production of the Harrier GR.1, which entered service with the Royal Air Force (RAF) in 1967.
The AV-8S Harrier is an export version of the Harrier designed specifically for the Spanish Navy (Armada Española). In the early 1970s, Spain showed interest in the Harrier to strengthen its naval forces. The AV-8S, often referred to as the “Matador”, entered service in 1976 and was used primarily by the Armada Española aircraft carrier group, before these were sold to Thailand in 1998. Around 2003, Thailand considered acquiring Sea Harriers, which were better suited for maritime operations and better equipped, however, this did not result in a purchase.
The last first generation Harriers were taken out of service in Thailand in 2006.

Armament of the AV-8S

In service with the Spanish Navy, AV-8S were occasionally equipped with double AIM-9 sidewinder rails, which made it possible to carry up to four missiles.

Air-to-Air Missiles

• 2-4x AIM-9P
  • 2-4x AIM-9P-4
  • 2-4x AIM-9L

Dumb- Rockets / Bombs

• 5x Mk.77

• 5x Mk.81
  • 5x Mk.82
  • 2x Mk.83

• 76x FFAR
  • 16x Zuni

Specifications, Electronics and Internal

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 13,87 m
  • Wingspan: 7,70 m
  • Height: 3,45 m
  • Max. takeoff weight: 11.431 kg
  • Powerplant: 1x Rolls-Royce F402-RR-401
    • Thrust: 9625 kgf
  • Maximum speed: 1156 km/h
  • Service ceiling: 12.192 m
  • Rate of climb: 14,5 m/s
  • Maximum g-load: +7,8g / -4,2g

grafik

Thanks for your time, hope you liked it :salute:
[Will add more if there are some (more) important / declassified things]
[PM or comment if a Link or Picture isn´t working]

Sources:

Links

https://www.twz.com/the-harriers-are-gone-but-thailands-unlikely-aircraft-carrier-sails-on
Harrier
DEFENSE STUDIES: F-35B Fighter Aircraft for the HTMS Chakri Naruebet ?
DEFENSE STUDIES: Thailand Harrier Squadron

6 Likes

Would love to see it…maybe for future thai tree/ sub tree +1

3 Likes

Would love to see this eventually, hopefully, it’ll pop up eventually, especially since it popped up in one of Olivia’s latest leaks. +1

2 Likes

Are we sure these were ever armed with 9P? Considering how late the AV-8S was adopted into Thai Service, it seems more probable to me they were exclusively operated with 9L- considering the lack of evidence 9P was ever fielded among the multiple photos of 9L equipped on the platform.

2 Likes

Are you sure you want a radarless and original-engined AV-8 at BR 11.X?

Regardless of whether or not it has 9P, it will be BR’d off of it’s best loadout regardless. I’d rather skip a pointless stock-grind.

The BR of the plane can be adjusted as needed, I would much rather it receive it’s historical loadouts than to be given arbitrarily worse loadouts to fit within an adjustable matchmaker, if that is what you are implying.

Also worth noting; the Sea Harrier FRS.1 (e) sits at BR 10.7. This plane, without a radar, would likely be in a similar place.

1 Like

Additionally, I am somewhat dubious of the claim this plane can carry 4x AAMs, as I have only seen it with the same outboard LAU-7s as on others of the AV-8 series. Going off the AV-8A manual, the plane isn’t set up for more than 2x Sidewinders, unless otherwise altered:

AV-8A Manual

From https://archive.org/details/NAVAIR01AV8A75/mode/2up

Obviously, it is possible that upgrades took place between the publishing of this manual and the 3 odd decades of service the AV-8S flew under, but without external evidence, I am doubtful.

1 Like

I’ve never seen it in Thai service, but the AV-8S in spanish service could carry dual launch rails.

Spoiler

EvOSiDzXEAkwAZB.jpg.27eb07957b9454a2a4990304c1c25612

1 Like

Hmmm, the AV-8S in that photo also appears to be carrying a double bomb rack as well. The loadouts on this post are likely incomplete, its worth looking into what additional munition mounts were used (in addition to the RWR)

3 Likes

I bring good news! Though currently not from the most ideal sources, I seem to have found the RWR of this aircraft; Sky Guardian 200- aka ARI-18228/19, the same RWR as found on the Sea Harrier FA.2

https://www.airvectors.net/avav8_2.html#m3
https://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1631/

The upgrade having begun in 1987 as claimed above matches with the timeline as in the photos below.

Before & After (Notice the Tail)

Taken in April of 1986:

Taken October 31st, 1991:

Unfortunately, with this good news comes bad- the AV-8S visibly lacks CM dispensers. This makes sense, as Spain neither served in the Falklands as the Brits, nor attempted to modernize their AV-8s to better match their AV-8Bs as America- instead choosing to sell them off to Thailand. Thailand for their part, seems to have made no significant changes to the airframe beyond maintenance during their service.

Unless Thailand possess CM pods such as the AN/ALE-37 as on the AV-8A, this may be the single most awkward plane to grant a BR in game- simultaneous possessing 2x/4x AIM-9L sidewinders and an advanced RWR- yet no CMs.

I suppose Gaijin could approach this plane like the F-5C- choosing to give it ahistorical CM as found on other aircraft to better balance the plane.

5 Likes

+1, but curious if it could carry CMs at all. It would be a weird one to balance if it couldn’t have them

1 Like

The ALE-37 is also in an interesting place as well. Based on what I’ve heard and/or seen, it was compatible with just about any NATO-standard pylon, so it could theoretically be used on the AV-8S

Very late edit for clarification: the ALE-37 pod would essentially be more realistic on the Thai AV-8S than the bolt-on CM pods and RWR are on the US F-5A and F-5C

2 Likes

Gun?

Standard twin 30mm ADEN cannons as all the other Legacy and Sea Harriers

1 Like