Hawker Hunter F.74S - RSAF's Special Modification

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Hawker Hunter F.74S - RSAF’s Special Modification

Hi and welcome to my 58th, which is about Singapores Hunter F.74S, hope you like it. :popcorn:

First of all:

• Feel free to share more Information and / or correct me if something is wrong
  • Discuss respectfully, any aggressive kind or verbal abuse will be reported, the Forum rules also apply here

Background History

The Hawker Hunter, developed during the Cold War era was manufactured in Great Britain. The aircraft, manufactured by Hawker Siddeley, was mainly used by the Royal Air Force from 1954 onwards. With its first flight in 1951, it was the oldest active jet-powered fighter aircraft in the world, with the last samples decommissioned in Lebanon in 2014.
The Hawker Hunter was used by many other countries as well, due to its good handling, performance and ease of maintenance. Singapore, was one of these countries. The RAF, which had previously secured the airspace over Singapore, was withdrawn due to Britain’s financial problems, so Singapore had to quickly establish its own air force.
The Hawker Hunter presented itself as a cost-effective and useful option and Singapore acquired the first Hunter aircraft in 1970. In total, Singapore purchased 43 Hunters, designated FGA.9 and FR.74 (export FR.10s), including some two-seat T.75 training aircraft. Transporting the Hunter halfway around the world was a challenge, but one that the RAF pilots overcame. Soon Singapore’s first jet fighter squadron was operational.
Although the Hunter was positively reviewed, it was a 1950s aircraft, so a performance upgrade soon became necessary. Most of Singapore’s Hunters were converted to the improved FR.74S and F.74S.

Armament of the Hunter F.74S

The improvements included four pylons wired for Sidewinder missiles, including two dedicated ones, the integration of Maverick missiles, strengthened wings, and new bomb/missile installations including a centerline pylon.
It could maybe be fitted with a flare/chaff package just forward of the airbrake. Optionally, the weapons package could be replaced by a reconnaissance package, and the weapons could continue to be used after upgrading to F.74S.

Air-to-Air Missiles

• 4x AIM-9B
  • 4x AIM-9G
  • 4x AIM-9P

Dumb- Rockets / Bombs

• 72x 68mm SNEB
  • 32x 80mm SURA
  • ?x (?) bombs

Air-to-Surface Missiles

• 4x AGM-65B

Specifications, Electronics and Internal

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 14 m
  • Wingspan: 10,26 m
  • Height: 4,01 m
  • Max. takeoff weight: 11.158 kg
  • Powerplant: 1 x Rolls-Royce Avon Mk.207
    • Thrust: 4,602 kgf
  • Maximum speed: 1144 km/h
  • Service ceiling: 15.250 m
  • Rate of climb: 40,7 m/s
  • Maximum g-load: +9g / -3g (placeholder)

Thanks for your time, hope you liked it :salute:
[Will add more if there are some (more) important / declassified things]
[PM or comment if a Link or Picture isn´t working]

Sources:

Links

https://www.mindef.gov.sg/web/portal/pioneer/article/regular-article-detail/milestones/2022-Q3/01sep22_news1
https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/hawker-hunter
Thunder & Lightnings - Hawker Hunter - History
Thunder & Lightnings - Hawker Hunter - Survivor 527
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155030018291059&vanity=mindefsg&slug=hawker-hunterengine-rolls-royce-plc-avon-207-turbojet-enginewingspan-1026-mlengt
Hawker Hunter FR74S | Fly With Me

Book / Other:
Civil Airworthiness Certification: Former Military High-Performance Aircraft - Miguel Vasconcelos (2013)

4 Likes

This looks super cool! I feel like it would be kind of hard to balance though with those A2A missiles but being a Hunter platform.

I’d love to see this in game though!

2 Likes

Voted yes
Just wanted to ask if there are any photos of CM dispensers?

1 Like

+1, this would be a great aircraft, either as a squadron for the British tree or in whatever tree a Singaporean Subtree goes to (most likely Japan at this point)

If I remember correctly its this box just in front of the airbrake

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

Mavericks, Bombs, Droptanks, Countermeasures, and advanced Sidewinders at the same time? This plane is a veritable multi-role fighter! Would love to see this come to the game!

The old suggestion seems to list a capacity for 8x Mk.82 bombs- presumably as configured in this image:

Singapore Hunter Loadouts

Also worth noting, with the rocket pods mounted on the centerline instead of bombs, the maximum SNEB count would be 108 SNEBs from 6 pods, not 72 from 4.

3 Likes

Are those RWR bulges on the nose of the aircraft?

No clue, I only have limited knowledge of this Hunter mainly just from tangent research for when I did the Omani Hunter suggestion

1 Like

We def also need the A-4SU Super Skyhawk

1 Like

+1 for the UK (I just want a Hunter with Sidewinders and Mavericks :(, we already lost the Mk.58)

Would love to see this in any air tree. Hopefully they did carry the flare pods as it would make a great pick for 10.0-10.7.

1 Like

British, China, Japan +1, very good CAS plane

I think in this specific case, being the Hunter is from the UK and Singapore is part of the Commonwealth, it should go specifically to the UK. Other Singaporean stuff in the future though it could be fine being spread around different nations.

1 Like

Well, it depends on Gaijin, you know swiss Hunter for german, maybe Gaijin will give it to other nations…

I would guess 10.0 or 10.3.

of course, I’m just saying it should go to Britain, we’ll see what the snail decides to do if this gets passed to the devs

But sadly, gaijin limited 2 countries (south africa & india) for great britain only and can’t 3rd nation

+1 hunter 👍

1 Like

also something is making me a bit worry, does this plane actually carry the ADENS? or were they just removed for museum exibits?

Removed for Museum. The guns can still be seen here;

1 Like