Harrier GR.1 BR reduction

It was mounted on Hawker Siddeley’s own Harrier T.2 demonstrator, which was simply the trainer version of the GR.1
F3pPlBuWcAAAnFY

2 Likes

Yak 38 is 9.3 whilst being supersonic and having 4 R-60s.

Harrier is a little less brickish (but still a little brickish) and has 4 SRAAM’s (which whilst they have higher thrust vectoring they are shorter range)

They’re about equal, bring the 38 up or put the Gr.1 down. It seems very cut and dry to me.

1 Like

Its barely supersonic and I have only achieved it in a dive (due to the engine overheating quickly at full power). The speed difference between the Harrier Gr.1 and the Yak-38 is minimal with the Yak-38 going only around 100 km/hr faster. That’s the only benefit on the Yak.

Maneuverability however is much better on the Harrier because you can activate thrust vectoring earlier than on the Yak-38 with the Harrier also out accelerating the Yak. Missiles are comparable though so all in all I do think the Yak is worse than the Harrier.

1 Like

At 9.3 though not many things are supersonic whereas at 9.7 many things are and theres no cap on the F-5C’s which a SRAAM aint gonna do anything against those cold engines.

Sure the harrier is more manoeuvrable with VIF but i definitely dont think its worth the BR difference. Also R-60s have a higher effective range because SRAAMs tend to jitter and lose all their energy.

If the harrier remains at 9.7 it should get its flare pod and then I think it would be much better, harriers cant run away from many things.

1 Like

There are many things that are supersonic at 9.3. The F-104A/C, Mig-21 F-13/PFM, Mig-19S/PT, Su-7B/BKL, Yak-28B, F-3H-2, Lightning F.6, Buccaneer S.2, J-6A, J-7II, F-100A/D/F, J32B, etc.

That’s a compression problem not a Yak-38 is too low problem. Also the Yak-38 fights F-5C’s as well.

Yes but the missiles them selves are quite similar with both having short ranges when compared to their contemporaries. I do agree the R-60 has longer range but the Yak-38 as a platform is just worse than the AV-8. At the 9.0 br bracket flight performance still matters and the Yak-38 doesn’t have that not to mention the probable reason the Harrier Gr.1 is higher than the Yak is due to its higher payload (people bomb bases in it is what I am saying).

If you have a source for a dedicated countermeasure pod you are welcome to make a bug report. Currently I have no knowledge of a dedicated countermeasure pod.

I do think tentatively that the Harrier Gr.1 should go down instead though, however decompression is preferred.

1 Like

Hell the F-5C didn’t have flares IRL and in game it does they could give it to the GR 1 but they haven’t.

1 Like

No. Not at all. What should be done is aircraft above it needed to he moved up (BR expansion to at least 13.0) but we just wont get that because “queue times would be too long” insert clown photo

2 Likes

It never got a flare pod. Back when it was introduced it wasn’t expected to defeat AIM-9Ls and R-60Ms. now it very much is, which is why it semmingly sucks so much.

I personally (even as an F-5C abuser(owner)) want the flares removed from the F-5C.

Harrier GR.1 may as well get fake flares since it actually kinda needs them. It runs an actual engine that can be locked up, instead of magical cold fusion engines from star wars. And it can’t really dodge high agility missiles like R-60M.

3 Likes

A think in the next descompressions they should try Harrier in 9.3.

1 Like

No. I do remember the time when the Harrier GR.1 got into the game with 9.3 BR and I don’t want to deal with 4 SRAAMs in 8.3 planes ever again.

2 Likes

Yeah I still remember when enemy team was full of Harrier GR.1

Give it flares or another missile or buff SRAAM.

Wouldn’t even be buffing it, just modelling it accurately, irl it was all aspect within 3km against subsonic, non afterburning targets. also its range was 3km i believe and speed was not shat out by the stupid shaking of the missile.

4 Likes

Having the GR.1 its one of the most unfun planes to use the Sea Vixen and the Hunter FGA.9 Performs way better in uptiers and even downtiers i find the harrier is quite slow.

but changing its BR up or down is unnecessary I just think the Harrier GR.1 should have its SRAAMs removed and given 4 AIM.9Es this would make it a wonderful 9.7 plane and actually make worth while to use.

Thats not even needed. SRAAM are currently missing about half their range (should be effective out to about 2km, at the moment its less than 1km) and they are also missing their all-aspect ability. Not too mention the fact they are royally screwed in the guidance department. A total overhauled was suppose to be happening. Though the last we heard was 6/7 months ago and nothing since.

So fix and finish SRAAM and both the Hunter F6 and Harrier Gr1 become really potent aircraft again

1 Like

I would prefer the SRAAMs be removed from the harrier it would be a much better balance decision either way and give the Harrier AIM-9Es and make the Hunter F.6 unique in the tree while fixing its missiles.

which are played by 1 player per game, you literally face 99% F-5C, Kfir Canard, A-10 and MiG-21 which is just outright better in every way, and also the matchmaker currently makes it near impossible for the GR1 to ever get a downtier.

Bro, wtf was going through your head, the harrier has so many things going for it, let me make a list.

1. Thrust Vectoring

2. Extreme Acceleration

3. Insanely agile missiles

4. Loads of countermeasures

5. Insanely good guns

6. VIFF’ing to dodge missiles and guns

7. One of the easiest planes to fly in the game in full real controls, excluding VTOL, which has been said to be akin to “balancing a basketball on the tip of a ball point pen”

These combined alone make it seem more like a 10.0 to me, the only thing holding it back is top speed, which it can go supersonic in WEP or “supercruise” at a medium altitude. Oh yeah, and…

1. Its a premium

Which can be difficult on some control set-ups like using a controller

Which are a little buggy at the moment and have a tendency to miss the target, even in an easy shot. They are also missing half their range and ideally all-aspect

Harrier Gr1 has no CMs. At all. You are confusing it with the american Premium Harrier

They are okay, but the low muzzle velocity means they can be hard to use. They have a bit of a learning curve.

it’s a harrier, no harrier can go super-sonic, ever. Max speed is about 0.93 mach. Issue with all harriers is engine temp management. The Harrier 1s like the Gr1 will burn out their engines if you sit at 100% for too long pretty quickly, Harrier IIs are better, but still have the same thing you have to worry about after too long.

2 Likes