Guidance time - KAB-500S vs GBU-38 JDAM

Hello there,
any particular reason why the JDAM have 150 seconds of guidance and KAB only 40? If you talking about a GNSS guided ordnance then shouldn’t make any sense.
Hope is just a temporary thing giving the development phase still ongoing…
Cheers

2 Likes

It isn’t the usa put a lot more development into the JDAMs the longer guidance time was made to help pilots drop from higher alts avoiding SPAA systems.

9 Likes

is a GPS signal that made it possible…so giving a 40 seconds limit we are saying that after 40 seconds you just turn off the signal coming from a satellite. Again, it doesn’t make any sense to me.

It most likely means the battery/power source had ran out. It won’t lose the signal but it will lose the ability to use the signal. If that makes more sense.

8 Likes

That is actually a fair point…but i simply don’t have any data to assess if that is actually the case.
The problem is that these bombs were introduced in the 2000s and to say that a gps can’t stand more then 40s with a battery belonging to a systems so modern is laughable…

1 Like

If you think about the main missions they were intended for it makes a lot of sense. The usa need somthing they could drop on terriost without letting them know it was coming. The jdam is very common in any type of air force mission in the USAF. I don’t know much about the Russains but i don’t think they had the need to extend research and capability above what it is.

The usa also wanted a cheaper alternative to there expensive laser weapons. The JDAM was and still is cheap in comparison. The russians did not believe it was necessary for whatever reason. They have always seemed to have deemed TV and laser guided munitions. This is why they also don’t have a lot of anti rad weapons. The doctrine they follow just deems them unnecessary.

1 Like

batteries run out. This is the reason guidance times of FOX 3 missiles are limited

Correct, but the JDAM is only really effective to launch on one target, if it moves, too bad. I.e. it’s designed to take out SAM sites or Stationary targets.

1 Like

What is cool about the newer JDAMs is that they have the opportunity to be updated during flight. The A10C will eventually get this update. We saw it the trailer how it marked multiple different targets so it can constantly update them for the jam guidance.

Yeah, but also, the A-10 is slow, and (with the Su-25 being the acceptance) the KaB bombs (that are GPSS) are being carried by supersonic jets, meaning TTT is way lower.

Yes but i’m just using the A10 for an example. This is used on everything that can drop the JDAMs

F-16 is the only major notable one that’s in game other than the Strike Eagle. If USA got the B-1 lancer, that would be one more. The AV-8B is subsonic, but close to Mach.

Dude, for 4 years i literally worked in a company which bulids GPS receivers, and Milsatcoms…defence industry, not civilian. I never saw a battery for a GPS receiver lasting so few seconds…This is why i started the topic.

The F111, AV8B+, and all F15s could carry them.

Was it a US or RU company.

this

then this should be a bug report including sources.
Yes 40 s is basically nothing, but I don’t know the decisionmaking of the Russians

I’ve not heard of the F-111 using it, but maybe it did, I did bring up the AV-8B though.

Yeah sorry I was already typing what could carry them and just say you put F16