Guidance time - KAB-500S vs GBU-38 JDAM

And the strike eagle (F-15)

Yeah but all F15s can carry it what I was saying not just the strike Eagle

Yeah

1 Like

this is there decision making

Italian…i’m from Italy

Ohh ok. Was just asking because it is united states and russian equipment in the game.

Oh well for that matter every military issue here is according to Nato standard so…I would not be suprised if KABs would be less precise then JDAMs…but batteries lasting more then 40 seconds do not require a great technological effort.

What I shared is all I can assume and info I can find. I don’t know anything else that would explain this beside what I stated earlier

1 Like

The battery isn’t just for the GPS receiver, as it would also have to power the guidance section. No juice, no fin movement.

I’m telling you: is not a technologically difficult thing to achieve. Especially if you are already able to power up missiles (using the very same method you said) for way more time and with much older technology…So again, it doesn’t make sense as a technical limitation unless is a deliberate choice, and assuming that, unless we get some data, is just a pure conjecture.

True, though it does seem (based on a few cursory google searches) that the KAB has a max drop alt of 10km while JDAM is 13.5km+. But yeah, I hope someone can scrounge up some reliable numbers because 40 seconds does seem a bit low.

1 Like

The first US laser designated bomb was created in 1968, and the first Soviet laser designated 1975. However, the first GPS guided bomb created by the Soviet Union was the KAB-500S-E, and entered service in 2019, while the JDAM was adopted in 1997.

Closed book, the KAB-500S-E is “more modern” than the JDAM, and therefore, should be able to easily surpass it in ability. I understand the soviets were behind in weapon designs, but it isn’t the Cold War anymore, and they have more funds for R&D, and god forbid it only has a 40 sec window to correct for movement.

Yet again, using good old human intuition, and precursive knowledge, a GPS guided bomb being targeted for a static target means that you only need to retrieve the data, find the distance and difference, calculate, and execute.

In real life, the KAB-500S-E only has a 5km altitude range, with an operational range of 40km.

Using my common sense, I can figure that this, probably, isn’t accurate, because why the hell would you have a GPS guided bomb that performs worse than an LDB.

F-18s are coming in the next 6 months almost assuredly.

And a ton of nations are getting it

True, but only the US one will have JDAMs.

Nope, because if NATO standardized munitions, everyone that is a NATO nation (such as Finland for example) will have access to any standard NATO weaponry.

In theory, it makes sense, but there is a high chance gaijin negates it to make people mad.

It is not that simple for JDAMs. Unlike dumb bombs they require further integration with the aircraft to function. The Finns might be in luck as with their recent upgrades to restore its A2G capability they might have included JDAMs, would have to check on that though.

There is absolutely 0 way a Swiss F-18 could function with JDAMs however. It

1 Like

Yes but the JDAM is not nato weaponry. It is US made meaning the USA regulates the weapon. It has only been sold to 4 other countries being Singapore, Canada , Irseal, and Ukraine. Kind of like the British Brimestones. Just because the safety and reliability of the weapon is regulated by NATO doesn’t mean the compatibility is regulated. The USA has the tech and the control of what they want it to work with.

The main reason would be. Like I stated above. They most likely didn’t need or want the weapon.

The only way this could be wrong is if it was a US made and upgraded F-18 shipped to the swiss but other than that you are 1000 percent right.