Get HMS Barham in the Steel Baron Event!

The first lesson one should learn once they reach cruiser and above is not to judge the ship’s survivability by numbers on paper.

QE class without modernisation has very weak deck protection, and they lack splinter protection directly over the magazine like the Hood and Renown has, and one can easily get caught in such situation:

Spoiler

In case of Renown this would not be fatal:

Spoiler

FYI 40 lbs = 1inch/25.4mm of armour

This is why Bayern-class in game can be often ammoracked despite it has 350mm armour belt plus 80mm slope deck, because the much vulnerable barbette can be penetrated easily and the splinter can go all the way down into the magazine. Renown on the other hand rarely die from ammo explosion despite their belt on paper is only 229mm. The nuances in armour placement play a much more important role in the ship’s survivability than raw numbers of armour thickness in WT’s highly detailed DM.

6 Likes

i mean britian has some of the most ships to be added the are kinda the ideal target for the navel events for when they want to add a higher teir bluewater ship and other nations can have there ships added into the tech tree.

Don’t think so. The leak said a QE ship, they just assumed the Warspite. But it apparently was the Barham. Warspite definately won’t come next update as it would impact this event’s popularity.

Otherwise still a cool ship and good choice for an event. I’ll probably pick it up on the market someday. Still not really into naval, but that may change when the Warspite is finally added.

Cool an all but I do wonder how many errors & bugs this model will have an even then not get fixed within seconds of being found (totally something event ships don’t suffer… stares at most event ships Ohh).

NGL, the details are rather lacking in this dev blog unlike the past F-14A IRIAF, Alcione Cough Albatros in battle cough & Churchill ARVE all of which at least went into some details on configuration & armament of what the event machine had.

Sniff, I’m kinda bummed that wallpaper ain’t a loading screen you can get by a stage, as it looks more unique than the pfp.

Still the bridgeplate decal looks great although a bummer those ain’t unlockable decals anymore.

Yeah the wallpaper looks great. Would love to have that one in game.

Also this is just the blog about the event. Usually there is a seperate blog later about the vehicle itself.

1 Like

who would care about ships event fr

Me fr

1 Like

On second thoughts, While cool the ehh the shot down aircraft kinda ruins it, Especially since they edited out the mention of the twin HA HAA 102 mm cannons/ Floatplane in the third paragraph

Although I will no doubt grind her I simply can’t get excited adding yet another WW1 spec ship.

Last night I sank 3x 7.0 BBs in a single battle with my Fw190F-8 without a single shot in return. I still haven’t gotten the SC/PC1000 mod opened up and it will only get easier to repeat the feat with more of them arriving.

1 Like

45k a stage and 750k to sell it?
IN NAVAL?
where matches take much longer and you leave with 2k score and its boring?
Yeah, no
I miss old events where you could grind tank plane and ship at the same time

I want to know why we didn’t get the 1930 refit for this ship which got improved deck armour. Being given the 1916 iteration seems kinda lame.

This is obviously intentional, the development logs show HMS Barham as she was when she first entered service. Less than a year later she saw action at the Battle of Jutland, where in a post-war refit in 1916 the 6-inch guns were removed from the deck and additional armor plates were installed to protect the magazines.
The status in the development log effectively ensures that she can be easily detonated by 305mm SAP and various other ammo.

I would point to several things:

Firstly, Britain has the largest number of Dreadnought classes applicable to the game particularly in this era/level of ships (as we know the RN is mostly in a pre-WW1 era in-game).

Secondly, only Hood is Tech Tree, and when you break it down, this would make 3 ships at top tier if you include the 2 events. which is still below average, particularly considering point No.1

Thirdly, HMS Renown is not 7.0 worthy with a 9" belt, with a slight armoured deck behind, though she has a multilayer deck she is still relatively feeble to deal with and cannot dish it out in return on account of her having only 6 guns in 3 turrets she’s only there as an arbitrary decision made on her gun calibre, it’s worth noting ships flat out better are at the same br, for example IJN Mutsu has both better armour, guns and reload, though she does have issues in the AA department.

Fourthly, this ship is an event and therefore is not necessarily accessible to the average player, particularly as it will be timelocked.

Aside from that, I do agree France needs a ship, but France has the least amount of Dreadnought classes applicable to game tied with Italy at 5 but Italy’s are more slated to the current top tier era than France’s. Whilst I agree need should overtake historical magnitude. This is just like the USA receiving a lot in Air, or the Soviets receiving a lot in Ground.

That said, I would like to see the next fully new ship model (as in, not a sister ship where you can kinda C+P the models), be for a French ship, followed by an Italian ship.

**The UK definitely did need a new top tier thats completely indisputable both in-game and historically.

In your own list the British have the least top tier ships out of all the major nations. But that also doesn’t include that the Brits only have one top tier tech tree ship, and while other nations have plenty of 6.7s (namely America and Russia) the British don’t even have any 6.7s either.
I think its fair that the Brits get another top tier battleship, although it would’ve been nicer if they made the QE class actually tech tree…

1 Like

I don’t mean to be that guy but the UK has 2 6.7’s. Though Orion is more of a 6.3.

The UK has Marlborough which truly is 6.7 worthy with superheavy shells, and Orion, who should be 6.3 with a poor armour layout that allows you to kill the engine and transmission in 1 salvo to the weak upper belt reducing your crew by like 60%, and she can only fire the light 13.5" projectiles with like 10mm more penetration than the 12" of Colossus.

I’m totally on board with the idea that the British need more ships too, but right now, France needs it more. It’s not about playing favorites; it’s about completing the lineup and making the game more balanced and fun.

Honestly, there’s no point in debating this. France is the only nation in the game without a 7.0 battleship, and it just makes sense to give them one. Why argue against it when it’s so obvious they deserve it?

And it’s not like there’s a lack of options for France. There are four solid choices: the Richelieu and her sister ship Jean Bart, which were well-armored with 380 mm guns, and the Dunkerque and Strasbourg, which had a unique design with all main guns forward. Any of these would be perfect for a 7.0 event.

But we don’t need to debate more, Gaijin already made their choice, and I’m happy for you, again.

1 Like

Naval events are far and away the easiest due to the modifiers - IIRC x1.9 for AB!

1 Like

Oh don’t worry I’ll be joining in. I wonder if we should all see if we can get in a Discord call, blasting Royal Navy songs

1 Like

Well time to skip this event really wish you guys stuck with a schedule of one air then one ground and one sea

I will take you up on that offer because naval is just so unpolished its unfunny

2 Likes