General Japanese & Thai Ground Forces Discussion HQ

The conq one is British and the text is Chinese not Japanese.

7 Likes

Thanks for clarification, this is what I expected but reverse image search wasn’t showing anything so figured I’d try here.

The 2nd image looks like a Type 95. The wheels don’t match the O-I and you can see the suspension rocker arm for the 3rd and 4 road wheel too.

5 Likes

Looks about right. I think the camera position being closer to the ground messes up the size perception to me, makes it look a lot larger than it actually is.

2 Likes

South African TAC-6, is this the super Toyota land cruiser ?

Apparently not. Toyota Super Cruiser is no longer in production

Cockpit door pressure relief valve lol

2 Likes

It looks like the Land Cruiser that was released in 2014 for a limited time.

The Land Cruiser J70 has been in production for close to 40 years, though received a styling refresh in the 2010s.

This vehicle meanwhile is custom-made.
Other than the cabin, which uses Toyota Land Cruiser J70 parts at least externally, the chassis, transmission, and engine are non-standard. The cabin is also different from production types due to internal armor plating.

4 Likes

Nice tank.

2 Likes

Cargo Truck Mountain Gun (貨車山砲)

This wheeled anti-tank self-propelled gun has a Nissan 80 truck (probably 1939 model) chassis and is equipped with a 75 mm Type 94 mountain gun. There had already been attempts to mount the towed gun facing backward on the truck, but to shoot at targets in front, it was necessary to make a U-turn, which posed problems for rapid firing. To enable rapid firing when the mountain gun units encountered enemy armored units, it was developed by the IJA Taiwan Mountain Gun Regiment based on experiences from the Hainan Island Operation. The traverse is secured at approximately ±17°. It can also be used as a SPAAG, in which case it can fire at an elevation angle of up to 80°. Although it does not appear to have much depression, it can be used to fire at close range targets up to about 50 m. Anti-tank combat tactics: This new type of SPG rapidly fires at enemy tanks in front, allowing older model SPGs time to turn around.

I think this blueprint was already known on the forum, but its source was unclear. I found a detailed explanation of its development history in the August 1942 issue of the Japanese Army officers’ bulletin, “Kaikosha Report No. 815,” so I’m sharing it with you.

3 Likes

I don’t think it will got ATGM, Japan MOD might seperate the anti tank role of the type 89 to type 16.

2 Likes

New video is up!

4 Likes

next time leak classified documents!

2 Likes

Is there a active armed conflict in Japan or something ? 😂

6 Likes

Looks like the driver is going to have some explaining to do, probably clipped a wall or fence going by the scratches further back

2 Likes

can someone explain why japan government more prefer to develop new weapon instead of updating current one? Like the type 89 and CTWV, they can just upgrade the turret of type 89 or putting a turret on type 96 apc which is a more cost efficiency way compare to developing a 100% new weapon system

3 reasons.

1. Komatsu who makes the Type 96 is no longer doing defense so no new hulls can be produced.
  2. Commonality. The CTWV and WAPC replacement retires 2 hull types and only introduces 1 new hull type. Same with the Type 89 replacement. The final stage of the project aims to put 89FV, 87AW, and 99HSP on common hulls and replace the Type 73 with the same common hull.
  3. New projects keeps the MIC in practice of developing and building weapons. Just look at the British who needed the Germans to upgrade their tank, upgrade their rifle, and make an APC for them because they stopped production for so long that they just didn’t have the knowhow to do it themselves.
13 Likes

Also wanna add that CTWV hull is more cost efficiency because it uses already known Type 16 hull. The fact that Patria will be produced, from my side, is the politic and manufacturing decision to make the JSW as new competitor to Mitsubishi (Look at the Boeing or other monopolian big company if you don’t understand why competitor is needed for manufacturing)

Secondly is that Type 96 hull is already old and need replacement (so the WAPC Kai project by Komatsu was in fact the modernisation of Type 96) and Type 89 turret is too heavy for this type of hulls. So you would need to do “modernisation” which will become into totally new vehicle hull but who need it if you already have Type 16 hull?

5 Likes