General Dynamics F-111C (Early and Late versions)

I would love to see any other aardvarks added, wish I had the time to grind for it, has any aardvarks had a arh or sarh missile? Has any aardvarks had an aim 9x? Or smt that can rip g’s like Nthn

Thanks everyone

Only the F-111B did, it was the original platform for the AWG-9/AIM-54 before the F-14 Tomcat was designed and proved superior to the Aardvark for the fleet-defense role, so the F-111B was cancelled and never mass-produced. As for 9X’s, those came into service after the F-111 was retired, best you’d get is a 1991 Gulf War spec F-111F with AIM-9M’s. And the F-111 is too portly to ever be really that maneuverable, it was a heavy-weight strike jet after all, no nimble fighter.

2 Likes

Something something F-111D had a radar capable of guiding semi actives like the sparrow. Dont know if it had a rail (idk maybe used a F-11B rail ¯_(ツ)_/¯) or wiring or anything, but I guess it’s a possibility that gaijin could add it and that armament as an option, seeing as the Yak-141 exists…

They had the YAIM-7G which was compatible with the radar. But since the F-111D avionics just never worked it never went into production. Not that that would matter for Warthunder.

2 Likes

Certainly to my knowledge the Australians never had anything better than 9Ms on their F-111s for air to air.

It seems the AIM-7G itself never entered production anyways, probably due to the problematic development of the F-111D. What was its difference between the 7F and 7G anyways? All I can find on it is the fact that it existed, and nothing more lol

I never found much info, even https://designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-7.html has very little and that site generally has a lot of info.

1 Like

7G was aerodynamically identical to the 7F, it just had a seeker tuned to the Ku-band radar of the 111D
In fact, the few produced were modified AIM-7Fs and not new missiles
In-game the missiles would be exactly identical

2 Likes

So the F-111C was just spotted in the update trailer. I wonder if we’re getting the early or late capabilities. And in what tree, if it’s in the UK tree that means Aussies can’t use their Aardvark and Abrams together.

My bet is on US Squadron vehicle.

As a US main, it sure as heck better not be in the US tree

Why not? Fits well with the M1A1 AIM. The UK should get the F-111K, which at least had airframes built, even if they ended up being finished for another country. Further along than other aircraft ingame made it.

1 Like

I completely forgot the F-111K existed. I rescind my statement

Seems that’s not happening based on smins meme…

Well it depends on how the devs are feeling that day. Technically the design was finalized, approved and 3 airframes were being built when the program was cancelled. Those airframes did get finished, but not for the UK. I still see it as a more realistic aircraft than others ingame as the design is essentially the F-111F.

Edit: Guess this kills it. I don’t agree but whatever

by Smin
angry-face

but

I want more Indian things

I’m concerned it will only be the AUP. There was only the Su-24M and not Su-24 in the video. Then again, we only saw dumb bombs on the 111C so it could be the early still.

Yeah we’re not going to know until dev server I guess.

As the JF-17 was just announced as squadron vehicle in its DevBlog, I’d be surprised if the F-111C also comes as squadron vehicle.

Could imagine it as Premium or Pack though.

So the F-111C they added is a bit strange. It has the early, less powerful engines, it has exactly the same bomb payloads as short wing F-111s, it doesn’t have its additional anti ship missiles and stuff, and it has AIM-9Ls. So it’s like, a mid life F-111C, some early gear, some late. Concerning that they did it this way, it means we may never get the final capability.

3 Likes