General Dynamics F-111C (Early and Late versions)

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes, both would be great
  • Yes, but just add the Late version when War Thunder is ready for it
  • No
0 voters

In Game Brief
The F-111C is the Australian export version of the Aardvark. I am suggesting two versions of the aircraft to be added, an Early and a Late version as the upgrades received during its lifetime were so substantial that is almost constitutes an entirely different model. At release, it was basically an A model with the larger wingspan from a FB-111 and stronger landing gear for increased payload and fuel capacity.
It also came to my attention when the F-111A was announced, and all the excited Aussies were stating their hopes for the C model (the F-111 is basically a national icon down under), that there was some confusion about its capabilities, and that the C would be too much of a leap over the A to add yet. I often saw comparisons to the F-111F. I think this stems from two ideas, one being that the Wkipedia page actually lists the wrong engine for an F-111C, the TF30-P-100 with 25,100 lbf afterburning thrust as found in the F-111F. The F-111C was actually originally built with the TF30-P-3, the same engine as found in the F-111A. Later in life they received an upgrade to a TF30-P-109 engine with 20,840lbf afterburning thrust.
The other is that the F-111C when introduced did not have any of its later, advanced weaponry. At release the weapons options were very similar to that of the A with dumb bombs and Aim-9Bs. Later in life, it received the ability to use Paveway II laser guided bombs, Harpoon anti ship missiles, GBU-15 bombs, AGM-142 Popeyes and upgrades to Aim-9M sidewinders. Even the camo was different, going from two tone green/brown to the grey as seen above.

History

Spoiler

In 1963 the Australian government went looking for a replacement for their obsolete Canberra bombers. After evaluation options from France, UK and USA. Despite the F-111 still being in development, it was chosen as the winner with plans to draw out the Canberra’s service until it was ready. While the first delivery officially occurred in 1968, the grounding of the F-111 fleet in USA prevented the C from actually entering service until 1973. During that 5yr time span Australia was provided F-4Es to fill the capability as a stop gap. In the mid 1980s the F-111Cs were outfitted to carry AN/AVQ-26 Pave Tack laser targeting pods within the weapons bay (rotated in and out when not in use), and by the mid-late 1990s they received major avionics upgrades that included twin mission computers, modern digital databus, digital weapon management system, new AN/APQ-171 terrain-following radar, new AN/APQ-169 attack radar, and twin ring-laser gyro INS. As well as support for the AGM-142 and an engine upgrade to the TF30-P-109.

Specifications F-111C general

Spoiler
  • Crew: 2 (pilot and weapons system operator)
  • Length: 73 ft 6 in (22.4 m)
  • Wingspan: 70 ft 0 in (21.33 m)
  • Swept wingspan: 33 ft 11 in (10.35 m) swept
  • Height: 17 ft 2 in (5.22 m)
  • Wing area: 657.4 sq ft (61.07 m2) spread, 525 sq ft (48.8 m2) swept
  • Empty weight: 47,179 lb (21,400 kg)
  • Gross weight: 89,397 lb (40,550 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 110,002 lb (49,896 kg)
  • Top Speed: Mach 2.4, Mach 1.2-1.3 at sea level
  • Weapons: 1× M61 Vulcan 20 mm with 2,050 rounds (mounted in weapons bay), Mark 82 and Mark 84 general purpose bombs
  • Hardpoints: 9 in total (8× under-wing, 1× underfuselage between engines) with a capacity of 31,500 lb (14,288 kg) ordnance mounted externally on hardpoints and internally in fuselage weapons bay

Specifications F-111C Early

Spoiler
  • Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney TF30-P-103, 9,800 lbf thurst dry, 18,500 lbf with afterburner
  • Weapons: Aim-9B Sidewinder, plus as with F-111C general specs above

Specifications F-111C Late

Spoiler
  • Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney TF30-P-109 with 20,840lbf thrust with afterburner
  • Weapons: As with F-111C general specs above plus, Aim-9M Sidewinder, AGM-142 Popeye, AGM-84 Harpoon, Paveway II laser-guided bombs, GBU-15 glide bombs.

Sources

Spoiler

https://www.boeing.com.au/resources/en-au/pdf/RAAF-100-Years/F-111-PC.pdf
https://www.airforce.gov.au/sites/default/files/2023-07/F111%20A8-142.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-111C

9 Likes

+1! 9 year old me cried when he found out the F-111C wouldn’t be doing river fire anymore.

2 Likes

+1 and also we need Su-24 and F-15

+1 would love to see the F-111C and AUP in the UK tech tree. The standard F-111C could go at Rank 7 at the attacker tree to fill the gap between the Buccaneer S.2 and Tornado GR.1, while the AUP (the late upgraded version) could sit in Rank 8, following the Tornado GR.1 but before the eventual Tornado GR.4

4 Likes

+1 for sure! Bring on Pave Tack!

The only worrying part about that is if it went in the UK tree like all other Australian forces vehicles, we wouldn’t be able to use it with the M1A1 AIM which for some reason went in the US tree.

1 Like

yeah, thats ridiculous that that happened. but you get the indian t-90 which is obviously a good fit for the UK tree…

they could just Sherman it and give it to both, also I think the reason the US got the M1A1 AIM is because Australia purchased it from the United States and the tanks just had their depleted uranium armor removed, it wasn’t made domestically, and I think it’d be a similar story with the F-111C, if I’m correct they were built in the US and then exported to Australia

There’s a whole thread on the topic so I don’t think we’ll go too much further in to it here. I’ll just say that I am of the opinion any vehicles representing Australian forces should all be in the same tech tree, which happens to be UK in War Thunder.

1 Like

+1 for US tech tree where it rightfully belongs, like the M1A1 AIM which went to the right tree, not Britain which has nothing to do with these vehicles

I’m not fussed about where it ends up, as I’m more focused on ww2 aircraft, but keep in mind the Wirraway is a licence built American aircraft, built in Australia. Then you have the Indian T-90. Gaijins placement of Commonwealth aircraft doesn’t follow much of a pattern, but I could see the F-111C becoming a UK premium, with basically all other variants being in the US tree. I am sure which ever tree it ends up in it will be premium.

2 Likes

I believe the 111C early should also be able to carry AIM-9Ps, just as the 111A can carry 9Js

2 Likes

I never found anything that suggested Australia had 9Ps. It looked like the Flying Pig went from 9Bs to 9Ms.

I’m not sure, I feel that by that logic there’s a handful of vehicles that need moving back into the appropriate tech trees. I.E. half of china and Japan, also lend lease?

1 Like

I found more info, not sure if this is at all helpful but it’s certainly interesting!

Technical information and aircraft background

Technical information source

Technical information source

Magazine with background information

Background of the aircraft and why it was put into service

News bulletin commemorating the initial reception of the aircraft

1 Like

I’d pay for it 😉

1 Like

I’ll definitely check some of this out over the weekend in case I need to edit the OP.

Also, GBU-10 and 12s with a targetting pod

This should have been on F-111A

Love yer name.

UK’s F-111 is called F-111K which never went into production.

Also, how do you guys feel about an EF version of the VARK?

That’s with Pave Tack which was only used by 111Cs, Es, and Fs

EF-111 carried no armament except HARMs

Interestingly, though, the EF-111A is the only variant credited with an air-to-air kill