FV721 Fox-AA

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
                           FV721 Fox-AA

Design and service history:

The Fox-AA was a variant of the Fox armoured car fitted with an anti-aircraft turret that was first displayed in 1982. This vehicle took the form of a basic fox hull mated with a turret housing an Oerlikon 20 mm KAA-001 Cannon. The turret was mounted to a rotating platform that housed the cannon, along with its ammunition though an external feed. This configuration allowed the gun to elevate to 70 degrees, allowing it to effectively engage and take out aircraft up to 6800 meters. The KA-001 cannon had a rate of fire of 900-1000 rounds a minute and a muzzle velocity of 1050 meters a second.

The gun had a 200-round feed of ammunition, giving it a fire endurance of around 12 seconds before the additional ammunition stored in the hull would have to be used to reload the weapon system, which could be done from inside the turret. A light would warn the gunner when he was nearing the end of his current belt, and spent shell casings would be expelled from the breech on the other side of the gun. The gunner had an adjustable seat and a single-piece hatch at the back of the turret that would open to the rear.

In order to engage ground targets, the gunner, who also served as the commander could make use of an optical sight, with 6.5 times magnification. Unfortunately to effectively engage ground targets the gunner would have to expose himself to the potential of enemy fire, and even with 3 sights being tested this was deemed insufficient, and unfortunately, no orders for the Fox-AA were placed, leaving it a unique one-off SPAA in the Annuls of British AFV development.

Vehicle specification:

Mass 6.75 tonnes (7.44 short tons; 6.64 long tons)

Length 5.08 m (16 ft 8 in)

Width 2.13 m (7 ft 0 in)

Height 2.2 m (7 ft 3 in)

Crew 2

Armor Aluminium

Main armament Oerlikon 20 mm KAA-001 Cannon

Engine Jaguar J.60 No 1 Mk 100B Petrol 190 hp (142 kW)

Power/weight 28.1 hp/tonne

Operational range 434 km (269.675 mi)

Maximum speed 104 km/h (64.6 mph)

Additional historical photos:

Sources:

7 Likes

+1 It’s so ugly I love it

3 Likes

This is the british r3 and its super cool, if a little top heavy ;)

4 Likes

A new British SPAA that is unique and could fill a gap? Amazing! +1

This would fit in nicely between the skink an the falcon, which was why i was so fast to suggest it, as we currently have a very large hole in the SPAA line there :)

1 Like

Hope it gets added soon!

Cursed, love it. Gaijin please.

+1, should help fill the lower-tier AA gap

While I would love this, I’d love to know more about the platform itself. As it stands the gun is exactly the same as the one on the Ystervark, just with a different name and a 200 round belt instead of 75. Does the Fox platform have stabilisation like the R3? What’s its gun depression? I see the elevation is slightly better than the R3.

I’m just determining roughly what BR it’d go to. If it’s basically just a British version of the R3 then you’d probably be looking around 5.3 to 5.7. I’d really love a new British SPAA between 6.3 to 7.7, but I don’t think this would be it sadly. Not saying it shouldn’t be in the game, I’d love to use it, I’d just love something to fill that mentioned SPAA BR gap.

This here, also what are the optics, so does it have a thermal sight, and if so what generation?

Also it’d be a good idea to find out the rounds that the autocannon use, if it gets APDS, and what the penetration statistics look like

+1, though how much ammo does it have in total?

I think it should be either a squadron or GE premium. In TT wouldn’t really fit as an AA unless you lowered its BR to the point where it overlapped with other stuff and even then it would need light tank features to be really viable over the other vehicles.

I like the idea of a British lunchbox