FUEL TANK explosions!

Fuel tank explosions are not realistic or even correct with real life physics. Diesel tanks do not explode even when hit with HE let alone solid shot AP rounds of any kind. Gasoline tanks WILL explode. Im so sick and tired of playing diesel powered tanks to then get one shot and killed because of a round to an internal fuel tank. EVEN Mythbusters PROVED THIS! It must be a joke that its been brough and kept in this game for so long!

Shoot the Fuel Tank - TV Tropes.

Yes but have you considered that it helps make French tanks worse

I mean clearly this is equal to stowing your ammo in a rotating carousel under your tank in terms of rapid unplanned turret ejection

5 Likes

Actually, fuel tank explosions are extremely rare even in the case of gasoline. You need a particular mix of oxygen and fuel vapor in order for an explosion to occur and this is extremely rare in fuel tanks, otherwhise just normal combustion will occur. Or not even that. Fire usually occurs on the spilled fuel, not inside the tank.

As gasoline evaporate faster than diesel, it’s easier to set it on fire. This is the only difference. Once on fire tho, they behave quite the same.

1 Like

“Fuel tanks exploded” is literally the cause of death of 80% of my deaths on Leclerc, I already gave up on the thing.

Any penetration leads to “fuel tanks exploded”, it’s infuriating. Leclerc’s survivability is similar to that of a Light Tank back in 2020 during the hullbreak pandemic; as much as being hit is a near guarantee of death.

1 Like

There is a mechanic to state “fuel tank explosion” when the fuel tank is hit + the crew is killed, it does not always mean the crew death was killed specifically by the fuel tank. It’s just Gaijin’s lazy code.

That being said fuel tank explosions are frequent due to the underside placement and how Gaijin dictates their capability of killing.

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes it says “fuel tanks exploded” but you can actually see spall hit the crew, I’m fine with those deaths since I know they are legit, hahah.

What triggers me is when a shell only hits a fuel tank and you see the orange explosion circle symbols signifying that your fuel tank being hit was the cause of death indeed xD

That being said, I am not sure of how realistic this is; I’ve read claims that, while diesel isn’t flammable/explosive, the gases of a partially empty fuel tank are, so… I don’t know anymore.

yeah very low or empty tanks can be explosive but even then it has to be perfect oxygen fuel mix.

It seems more likely in this game that apfsds instantly detonates fuel tanks while, Heat or aphe rounds just … get eaten by them. I have had on many occasions my early heat shells just get swallowed by t34 fuel tanks. My object 292 constantly explodes because some guy hit its never hitting my crew just the front fuel tanks.

Also the igniation point of diesel is much higher then of gasoline.

Exactly.