FOX-3: Active Radar Homing Missiles

How is it possible for PL-12 to use a newer R-77-1 seekerhead? Did China invent timetravel too?

1 Like

PL-12 introduction year: 2005
R-77-1 introduction year: 2016

Can you explain this? Time travel invention?

It appears that Chinese mains aren’t really reliable source of information regarding the performance of PL-12. Multiple people claim PL-12 have R-77-1 seeker, AIM-120C range, and greater manueverability than R-77 (doubt).

PL-12 introduction year: 2005
R-77-1 introduction year: 2016

Not possible for PL-12 to have R-77-1’s seeker unless China somehow time-traveled. Doesn’t stop people from making these claims though as noted below:

5 Likes

Sadly i confirmed for seeker what i find could only prove these things: China have bought Russian seekers including 9B-1103M, and at this time Russian was researching seeker for R-77-1, and Russia have helped about something when researching PL-12
All these things could only be a guess that PL-12 using R-77-1’s seeker when it have been researching
But for range and manuverbility these’re some proofs, though I guess you’ll say “I cant read Chinese documents” or “These documents must be fake”: 《国产最先进主动雷达空空导弹权威报告——访SD-10空空导弹副总设计师梁晓庚》

Some details from it

SD-10作战高度0~25千米,最大发射距离70千米,最大速度4马赫,最大使用过载38g。

“最大发射距离70千米”,是在双方飞行高度均为10千米、速度均为1.2马赫、速度方向相反(对头飞)的情况下测得的数据

事实上,我们在射程方面要优于AIM-120A/B,略逊于AIM-120C,和P-77差不多

一般而言,我们的SD-10对F-16这类目标的不可逃逸攻击区大约为载机前方35~45千米范围内。

SD-10的净增速在3马赫以上。

Also, PL-12 is introduced in service in 2007-2008, so it might near the upgraded SD-10A instead of SD-10

And these image is from 2016 China-Thailand military excerise, which Thai Gripen use AIM-120C5

The performance of AIM-120 is basically equivalent to that of PL-12, and the attack range is better than all types of medium range missiles carried by Su-27

AIM-120’s maximum firing range is 80km, PBB-AE (RVV-AE) 's maximum firing range is 50km

It is problematic to take these statements at face value. “Basically equivalent” can mean anything. It could be off by 5 km, 10km, 15km, we don’t know. Or perhaps they meant that the manueverability of AIM-120 is “basically equivalent to that of PL-12”.

Did you ever get a response on this?

smoke

In my expert opinion on smoke spotting that’s smoke.

The white trail you see behind missiles can also be attributed to water vapour, which is subject to climate conditions

See the picture below, note the clean burn and minimal to no exhaust trail

1 Like

Don’t you find it strange why he’s not behind the plane?

My dumbass kept clicking on the right arrow wondering why it wasn’t showing a 2nd picture

7 Likes

Sorry bout that, website wouldn’t let me download the image xD

I’m not a physicist, I don’t know the science behind it.

That said, jet and rocket engines are not the same, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are conditions where one makes contrail but not the other.

Here is a video showing AMRAAM launch with no visible trail.

And another. (In this one you can see launches with and without trail)

1 Like

Wait, so all countries get a good gen 4 while Germany gets an f4 with a fox 3 that will get outperformed by literally every 4th gen fighter? will it at least be a lower BR so there is a chance of having fun, cuz I’m sure it wont be fun playing at all, specially stock grind, this was a good chance to add the Eurofighter, but nope, don’t care about German top tier

Yes, you are right. The temperature of the afterburner flame of the engine is about 2000K, while the combustion temperature of the rocket fuel is about 3000K. But even in afterburner mode, there is not always a trace of the aircraft

1 Like

That response was prior to this FOX-3 devblog, I think it’s still relevant to bring up.

Especially since this statement from @Stona_WT :

Is completely negated/contradicted by the current Multipathing we have in the game. The main defense is not anti-missile maneuvers, it is to put your aircraft below 100 meters, and to watch the Fox 1 and Fox 3 missiles helplessly explode around you with minimal effort. At the very least it needs to be removed or reduced in Simulator Battles.

4 Likes

We already have FOX-4. You my friend are the FOX-4

2 Likes

Technically they could get EFT but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. F4F ICE makes the most sense

1 Like

We don’t know if Gaijin will add a C&P plane from [insert Europe nation], or give MiG-29G ability to use R-77
At least ICE have much more ARHs than J-8F which have only 2 :)