Flag customization permanently overwrites naval Gaijin Market skins with nation default flag

I have come across an interesting bug regarding the naval flag customization that was recently introduced to the game. When you open the flag customization UI and select a flag on a ship for the first time, it applies the flag you selected to the vessel. Once a flag has been applied the only option in the UI for removing that flag is the nation’s default flag. This has the unintended effect of permanently covering up unique flags on Gaijin Market skins. This leads to sometimes hilariously incorrect and unhistorical flags being forced upon certain ship skins. The bug also occurs when you even just select a default skin after viewing a Gaijin Market skin.

The issue is likely due to the fact that skins created for the Gaijin Market probably have the flag design printed directly on the base texture long before in game flag customization was ever considered. The new flag customization UI probably works by placing a new texture over this base texture. (I’m sure the devs will know for certain what is happening but this is just my theory.)

Restarting or updating the game does not resolve the issue as flag customization is saved between sessions. Once the client sees that a nation’s flag has been applied, as far as I know it is impossible to remove and the game will continue to apply it indefinitely.

Here are some examples for further clarification:

This Settsu skin is supposed to have a special fantasy flag but it is now forever stuck with the IJN flag or a different flag selected in the customization UI.

This skin is supposed to come with a very nice Finnish naval ensign but because I viewed this vehicle with the default skin, the USSR default flag has now permanently been applied and will not revert when I go back to view the Finnish skin. I don’t even own this vehicle so I didn’t choose to customize it with the USSR flag. I don’t think the Finnish sailors appreciate this new flag on their boat either.

Last example. This is the first time I have ever previewed this vehicle so I can see the special flag when I preview the skin from the Gaijin Market. But as soon as I select a different skin on this boat, the default flag gets loaded in and never goes away even after restarting the game.

I know this is a niche problem but it is annoying. I’m pretty sure it occurs with every vehicle skin in the game with a custom flag. It would be appreciated if this bug was addressed as little details like this is what makes WT so great.

4 Likes