Fiat CR.42 Falco: Belgium's most successful fighter of world war 2

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Welcome to another suggestion, in this one we’ll be looking at the CR.42 Falco in Belgian service.

The story of this Italian origin aircraft in Belgian service starts very briefly before world war 2. The Belgian air force at this point had realized that its inventory was too small and hopelessly outdated. As a result, they were scrambling to find replacements for its fighter fleet. The requirement was simple, be better than what was already present, and be able to deliver fast and in good quantity. Fiat with their CR.42 was one of only a few companies that could meet these demands. They were aware of their unique position and increased prices accordingly, asking more for the CR.42 than Belgium had paid for the more modern and more capable Brewster Buffalo. Nonetheless, by lack of choice, Belgium went ahead with the deal. In December 1939 they placed an order for 40 CR.42 aircraft. Deliveries started on March 6th 1940, by the time of the German invasion of Belgium (May 10th of the same year), 30 aircraft had been delivered to 2 squadrons: Squadron 3/II/2Aé (Red Cocotte) and 4/II/2Aé (White Cocotte).

Of these 30 aircraft, only 22 were available at the moment of the invasion, all of which were immediately deployed in airfield protection or reconnaissance roles. The losses would start coming in the same day. Sensing an attack on Nivelles airfield, the CR.42s were prepared for action, the aircraft started taking to the skies, but before the last 7 aircraft could take off, the first Stukas made their appearance. At 04:15 on May 10th, the first 2 aircraft were hit. The remaining Falcos that did manage to take off went on to Brustem, from where they were supposed to operate. Just as the last 3 planes were preparing for landing, a formation of enemy Ju-52s was spotted over Tongeren. The aircraft engaged the formation and managed to score enough hits on one of the enemies to force it to land. The flight of 3 aircraft was swiftly attacked by enemy fighters, but managed to escape unharmed.
Later the same morning, a flight of 5 CR.42s took off from Brustem, with the intention of protecting the airfield. During this mission, Charles Goffin and Roger Dellaney got into a dogfight with several enemy BF-109s. Roger Dellaney was shot down, but Charles Goffin managed to shoot down an enemy BF-109E. A little while later, Lt. Werner de Mérode managed to shoot down a Do 17 as he was returning from his reconnaissance mission.
A flight of enemy Stukas followed to attack the airbase next. 4th Squadron had managed to hide their aircraft in a nearby orchard, but 3rd squadron had not, leading to heavy losses on the behalf of the latter. All 14 Aircraft of squadron 3 were destroyed in this attack, leaving only the 8 CR.42s of 4th squadron operational. The remaining aircraft were rebased to Grimbergen and Nieuwkerken-Waas on May 11th, before redeploying to Chartres in France on May 16th. The Falcos, together with 8 remaining Fireflies took up defense of this airbase.
Curiously, in this period, Fiat delivered 4 more aircraft to the Belgian air force, one of which got lost en-route and never arrived. These aircraft were yet to be assembled, and their parts were rerouted to Bordeaux, where they were quickly assembled and deployed soon after.
The whole remaining fleet of Belgian Falcos continued to suffer losses from air raids, and were moved from airbase to airbase, eventually ending up in Montpellier at the time of the French armistice. Only 5 aircraft remained at this point, they were seized by the armistice commission on August 27 and handed over to the Germans, who probably used them as training aircraft.
The service of these little biplanes might have been short, at only 6 months, but the agile biplanes set themselves apart by scoring at least 5 aerial victories, more than any other type in Belgian service during world war 2.

General characteristics:

• Length: 8.3 m
  • Height: 3 m
  • Width: 9.7 m
  • Empty weight: 1784 kg
  • Max. takeoff weight: 2295 kg.
  • Engine: 1x Fiat A.74 RC38 14-cylinder engine
  • Power output: 820 hp
  • Max speed: 441 km/u

Armament:

• 2x 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns

Place in-game:
Yes, I know, this would just be another C&P aircraft, however, it is one with significance to the Belgian air force. The most impactful Belgian fighter of World War 2 deserves a spot in-game for its valiant efforts. It would also serve to further expand the lackluster BeNeLux air subtree and add another biplane to the French tree, which currently only has 1: the Belgian Gladiator.

Sources

https://www.belgian-wings.be/fiat-cr-42
Håkans Flygsida - The Fiat CR.42 in the Belgian Air Force
De Belgische Fiat CR.42 Falco (Valk). - ABL-History Forum
Fiat CR-42 - TracesOfWar.nl

4 Likes

no.

2 Likes

+1 from me, I was surprised, knowing Gaijin, that they chose the Gladiator instead of this plane for a rank I Belgian plane. This one was so much more recognisable!

Isn’t there a bit about the CR.42’s in Belgian service in the Brussels Royal Militairy Museum? I remember seeing a display about their operations in the beginning of the war, including all locations of where they crashed.

Yeah, and with the wrong guns… Where are my 7.65 FN ???

Spoiler

The issue: Community Bug Reporting System

5 Likes

+1 would be nice to have it in the line, also with Belgium license-built Caproni planes.

4 Likes

Put it in game, everyone need to get what they used!

3 Likes

Werent you against C&P?

Also -1

Not the most exciting one, i’d prefer a Fox VII or a Hurricane but still +1 as long as it doesn’t replace a unique one

2 Likes

It’s a CR.42, which means it has my immediate +1. Honestly, It would be really neat to see a Belgian one added; as much as I like the Gladiator, the CR 42 would just be amazing.

1 Like

Yes, I said before that I did not want C&P in-game if there were alternatives that were not C&P, (with at most 50% of C&P allowed in a tech tree).
I’ve never given a hard ‘no’ against C&P.

In this case I would allow it. Same for the Pz IV G of italy or the M4A4 of the nations that bought them, as these were pretty iconic vehicles for the nations that used them.

Please also understand that my bar to label C&P is very high compared to most:

• cockpit modifications
  • munition differences
  • prop modifications
  • etc.

would all fall under ‘no-C&P’ for me, and i’d call them a modified vehicle instead.

I wouldn’t call the Gadiator Mk.1 from belgium a C&P plane, as it has a different prop and armament from the Chinese one.

In this specific case, one where a historically significant plane could be added, I would allow the C&P taking place. Like I’ve also stated before.

3 Likes

The german T-28E would also use german made 76,2mm ammo, such as Pzgr.39, Pzgr.39 Rot, Gr.38 HL and Sprgr.39.

Can you two please move your conversation to a more relevant place?

Nah, its finished anyway.