In 1940 the engineer Giacomo Mosso designed a reconnaissance plane, called the F.C.20, and just under a year later the plane made its first flight. The vehicle did not satisfy the Regia Aeronautica, so the vehicle was modified and upgraded into the ground attack aircraft known as the F.C. 20bis. About two years later, the vehicle was modified and upgraded again, and was renamed F.C. 20ter. After this, yet another version was built based more directly on the F.C.20bis, but it is not the vehicle we will consider now. The F.C. 20ter was tested and significantly improved compared to the F.C.20bis, but unfortunately with the armistice and various other problems the only known example of the F.C. 20ter was left alone and was most likely captured by the Germans after 8 September. No specimen has currently survived.
Armament and propulsion
The aircraft was armed with a long-barreled Breda Mod.39 37/54 37mm main gun, carried two 12.7 mm machine guns in the wings, a bomb load of a maximum of 500 kg and a 12.7 mm defensive machine gun mm in non-rotating turret.
In terms of propulsion, the aircraft was equipped with two Fiat A.80 RC.41 engines of 1000 CV each, which would have allowed the aircraft to reach a maximum speed of 420 km/h. The vehicle was also equipped with airbrakes to carry out dive attacks.