Fairey Barracuda Mk.I: The Deadly Fish (i)

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Introduction: The Barracuda is an unsung hero of British aviation, being the main spearhead of the Fleet Air Arm for much of the Second World War. Whilst it is often overshadowed by its older relative, the Swordfish, it served well in the role it was designed for.

Background: In July 1937, the Air Ministry received two private proposals from Blackburn and Fairey for a future TSR (torpedo, strike and reconnaissance) aircraft to replace the Swordfish, which was at that time the main strike aircraft of the Royal Navy. Few details are known about these proposals. Fairey’s design had a low wing, whilst Blackburn had a high wing. The Admiralty had very strong opinions about wing position, and were always strongly in favour of high wings, so Fairey’s design was ruled out. Blackburn’s design was thought to on the right track, but its performance was lacking, as it was using data from an outdated requirement, with a top speed of 200mph (322km/h). Its performance was therefore considered “scarcely adequate for an aircraft not likely to be flying until about 1939.” Fairey’s design was also rejected on the ground of it using two engines, which did not go down well with the Ministry. It was then decided to draw up an official specification called S.24/37, which requested a carrier-based torpedo bomber, dive bomber and reconnaissance aircraft, with an all-up-weight of 10,500lb (4,763kg), including a single 1,500lb (680kg) torpedo or three 500lb (227kg) or six 250lb (113kg) bombs. An option for a float undercarriage was also given so that the aircraft could operate in sheltered waters independent of a carrier, but this was later dropped. Six companies were invited to tender: Blackburn, Bristol, Fairey, Hawker, Supermarine and Westland, with Fairey’s design chosen for production, eventually becoming the Barracuda.

Description: Fairey’s design had a shoulder-mounted cantilever wing, which possessed Fairey-Youngman flaps which were used as dive brakes. The landing gear was retractable, though the tail wheel was fixed. The crew sat in tandem under a glazed canopy, with the navigator having windows below the wing in order to t bearings. The Barracuda was supposed to be powered by the Rolls-Royce Exe X-block piston engine, but once development of this engine was cancelled, it was powered by a Merlin 30 instead. Thirty Barracuda Mk.Is were produced, and these acted as trials aircraft for the most part. It was found that they were underpowered, with sluggish climbs rates and slow take-off rolls, but it was found to be an easy aircraft to fly. The Mk.I was an important step in the development of the Barracuda, leading to the Mk.II which would be the main service variant.

Performance:

Spoiler
Wingspan: 49ft 2in (14.99m)
Length: 39ft 9in (12.12m)
Height: 15ft 1in (4.60m)
Wing Area: 367sq ft (34.09sq m)
AUW: 13,177lb (5,977kg) with torpedo
Powerplant: 1x 1,260hp (940kW) Rolls-Royce Merlin 30
Max. speed/height: 250mph (402km/h) clean
Armament: 3x 500lb (227kg) bombs
6x 250lb (113kg) bombs
1x torpedo
3x depth charges or mines
3x 0.303in (7.7mm) guns

Conclusion: I believe that the Barracuda would be a well-needed addition to the British air tree, one which surprisingly is not in game.

Sources:

Spoiler

“British Secret Projects 4: Bombers 1935 to 1950” by Tony Buttler

“Bombers” by Francis Crosby

Fairey Barracuda | Naval Air History

Fairey Barracuda | Historic Aviation on Key Aero

Google Books

Google Books

Google Books

Fairey Barracuda | Classic Warbirds

Fairey Barracuda Mk.I

https://www.reddit.com/r/WWIIplanes/comments/6b6h0t/fairey_barracuda_mk_ii_bv760_on_a_sortie_on/

3 Likes

+1. An upgrade from the fairey battle.

1 Like

luv the Cuda

and we could do with a bunch more Faireys in general

3 Likes

we need this so badly to fill the gap between the swordfish, would also need the fairey albacore too which didn’t replace the aircraft it was meant to which is the swordfish

1 Like

No Barrauda’s survived the war, The Fleet Air Arm Museum is trying to piece one together through parts found in crashed Barracudas. I highly doubt that it will be added

That wouldn’t really make much of a difference, as there are vehicles present in game with either limited or classified technical information, not to mention that there are also unbuilt vehicles too. This one would not be hard to add as there is a large amount of historical documentation for the Barracuda when compared to other additions.

1 Like

if they only add stuff that there were surviving aircraft of then there would be a very limited umber of aircraft in game, this aircraft kinda does need to come even if it is outclassed, same with the albacore, they need to be added as they provide the missing link in the fleet air arm for attacker aircraft

1 Like

Honestly this has my +1, it’s a shame that it hasn’t popped up yet

1 Like