F/A-18 Hornet (Legacy): History, Performance & Discussion

fucking hope not, I don’t have that entire line researched.

We’ll see how they implement multi-role planes I suppose.

Has the F-14D been suggested? How would it affect the placement of hornets?

Suggested?

So the F/A-18A for the US and CF-18A (or possibly an Aussie F-18 but that’s less interesting) for Britain are pretty obvious. That’s probably 1st major update 2024.

But what would people think about the EF-18A for Germany? That’s a Spanish F/A-18A. Spain has operated predominantly German vehicles and would be nice to fill some gaps in the German tree IMO. There’s nothing in the tree at the moment, but on the topic of the F-18 it was worth bringing up.
Sorry to derail the discussion lol

I was curious if someone would have made an suggestion to anyones knowledge, it would be an interesting read. And also if they had any thoughts about the placement of that aircraft in line with other aircraft

Germany appears to be in process of buying super hornets and growlers. They approved the buying of 30 super hornets and 15 growlers. And what about the swiss F/A-18C?

1 Like

Im pretty sure theres a thread about f a 18 but i have problem finding on this new forum

Same here. I find the new forum harder to navigate, when having to search for something.

1 Like

Yeah navigate was the word i was looking for!

Unfortunately, none of those ever used Sparrows AFAIK, making them quite a bit better than the F/CF-18A

Some updates to my earlier reply:

F/A-18 was originally intended to use AN/ALR-67. However there was a problem, so early production models were temporarily equipped with AN/ALR-45.

The problem seems to be solved through OPEVAL during 1983, and Hornets got AN/ALR-67 since then.

1 Like

Super Hornets are perfectly capable of running Sparrows

Capable, for sure. But it’s already a stretch adding them to Germany. Adding that extra stretch of artificially nerfed armament is too far IMO. At that point, it’d be better to go for an F-16AJ type offered/trialed export vehicle (F-20A, F-15B, F/A-18B, F-14B, Su-27SK, or F-16C Block 30).

Giving the Super Hornet Sparrows would be the equivalent of locking the Rafale behind some Super 530D’s and Magics.

2 Likes

Or limiting EFT to sky flash and Aim9ls

1 Like

This image it’s F/A-18E Super Hornet Block I or Block II ?

Why look like AIM-7 Sparrow on pylon USN F/A-18E ?

West Germany did seriously consider F-14s in the 70s. HOME OF M.A.T.S. - The most comprehensive Grumman F-14 Reference Work - by Torsten Anft!

2 Likes

Because that is exactly what it is.

so did Britain

Yes, in the 80s. Also Canada and Japan, lots of potential F-14 customers that never materialized due to budget and political concerns on both ends. Even Israel considered the F-14 briefly but decided the F-15 fit their needs better. The Canadian Maplecat could go to Britain, or we could get an actual British one, Japan could get an F-14AJ, Germany an F-14G to give them a competitive western aircraft, Israel doesn’t need it because they have the F-15 and several F-16s in game.

1 Like