F/A-18 Hornet (Legacy): History, Performance & Discussion

Those limits exist for airframe longevity and are not just some magic number where the wings immediately snap off. To represent this ingame, gaijin takes the structural limit from the manual and multiplies it by 1.5 to act as a limit ingame when the wings will snap. IRL a pilot wouldn’t and likely could do most of the manuevers ingame and remain conscious but if they did the airframes would be in a very questionable state afterwards.

So yes, ingame everything overperforms in the allowable limits, but its all to the same degree. The aircraft are still limited by what they are aerodynamically capable of achieving though. Just cause a limit could be set at 15Gs, doesn’t mean an airframe could reach 15Gs with its maneuvers.

2 Likes

So the Hornet, if and when it gets added, will have a G limit of 11.25G. So call that 11G?

Lemoine also states that you rarely went to 7.5G in the hornet. If you did your tactics were wrong and you were basically screwed. I’m paraphrasing here.

But I am not a fighter pilot. I am an ape that just presses full elevator to try to get my nose on to what I want to shoot at haha

No. Because the actual structural limit of the Hornet is much higher than 7.5G. It is limited to that by its FCS for airframe life. Aerodynamically it is also capable of significantly more.

2 Likes

It’s not “wrong”. The idea that you can maintain speed and not “tighten down” unless it’s absolutely necessary makes sense … but not in war thunder. Real life tactics do not always correlate well to the game.

1 Like

I’m just saying that that is what he said. I followed it up with that having no meaning to me since I just mash the elevator buttons because I am an ape that barely knows a 2 circle from a 1 circle.

Super hornets while being slower have a much smaller RCS and a boat load of new and far superior systems. Speed really doesn’t matter as much as people think it does.

7.5g is also specific to the USN only.

The hornet is capable of pulling more Gs than that very comfortably.

1 Like

Don’t do this. Now I am hoping for a C model hornet even more for this update & for Germany

The static load test model was able to withstand a load of more than 11 g.

It’s also worth considering that the F/A-18 has the highest turn rate at relatively low speeds.

2 Likes

So, the hornet gang is gomna go out there and do actual dogfights against anything and everything out there! sweet!

literally Zero, but with not so big gap in speed

1 Like

what qualifies as “relatively low speed” for a Hornet? 300kmh? 400? 500?

depends on loadouts
but its like a 10-15% less than F-14 for example
but thats on deck level

Makes sense. We’ll see what they do once we, eventually, get a hornet in game

Gib me my Bol pods on everything

Here we go folks… Fingers crossed

3 Likes

Bro💀

Do you guys know which modification / block the Swiss Air Force has/had?

AFAIK F/A-18C with -402s but without A2G ordnance.

what does -402s mean?