F/A-18 Hornet (Legacy): History, Performance & Discussion

why is there no discussion about this, even though you can measure differences in the game? oO

Datalink communication between the airplanes is in the game?

Datalink exists in the game, it can be done between objects in the game - which would include player aircrafts and AI or player and other player. Regardless, not likely to come to the game anytime soon.

What are you talking about? The F-14 should be subsonic with certain payloads and still does 1.2 mach on the deck. The drag of stored munitions is almost nothing as a game decision by the developers who are quite stubborn about it.

and again.
i have tested it and noticed a difference…
in what way does payload affect the speed, is there a difference in the weapons, does the weight count?

when i test it with the su-25 and bombs the difference is huge, how can that be if pylons don’t cause drag like it was said here?
same with F-5/F-4 and A/A armament, the difference is not big but it is there so something must be modeled

and how fast is the F14 without load in WT? you only say that it is too fast with load yes and now? the F14 performs too well in WT, but it is still not clear what the difference is with or without.

i’ve asked you about it several times now and you’ve said several times that it’s not modeled, but if you test it ingame you can see a difference, so what is your accusation based on?

Yes… It is modeled. The drag for weapons on pylon is a fraction of that same weapon in flight. The drag is low for a reason… They don’t wish to balance individual FM’s top speeds based on load outs. It would be extremely tedious for them.

The devs themselves stated that they do not model top speed based on mounted ordnance and have set the drag low on purpose. This wasn’t a debate or a claim, you’re just being obtuse.

You have insisted several times that it is not implemented.

In fact, there are differences, even if some of them are very small, Acceleration is also slower . And the drag for some A/G load is sometimes even very high.

If you had said that from the beginning it would have been something completely different, but no, now you are even using terms like " obtuse"

I even asked you directly in which way it is implemented, but no adequate answer.

What you are saying now is the complete opposite as compared to, not modulated in any airplane.

actually it is, gripen is a speed LIMIT rather than a sep limit, F-18C with 4 missiles and 60% fuel will do M1.76 and M1.05 at SL. Speed based on pylon stores should be correct, given i got both F-14’s to within ±0.01M clean and with missiles.

2 Aim9x and 2 AIM120?

2 AIM-9 and 2 AIM-7

Pylon stores having miniscule drag does not mean top speed is adjusted per aircraft based on pylon stores. Two different things.

Gaijin doesn’t fine tune the flight models top speeds based on stores.

Would the Hornet feel better/similar in terms of performance/avionics compared to the F-15MSIP?

In terms of avionics it depends on model.

In terms of general flight performance tho it sits behind.

The first one that you think might come. Also, are there early service variants that can’t use Fox-3s?

First Hornets went into service with Fox-1 missiles, although i dont have clear information if they had capabilities to use Fox-3’s without any software/hardware upgrade.

I believe F-18C will be the first model we recieve and it will most likely come with Fox-3 capabilities.

Alright thanks for the info.

Yeah, initial 18A Hornets were Fox 1 only
Fox 3 was later available with 18C and 18A+ (both of which use the APG-73 radar, instead of APG-65)

2 Likes

APG-65 suppose to be capable with Fox-3 munitions as far as i know, tho as i said before it might need certain modifications for it.

Just software update. But apg 65 is able aswell

Though I have no clue when the update came as I don’t have the software configuration doc.
2024-08-17 (1)

2 Likes

All I need to know is the following.

A Legacy hornet will be slower in top speed compared to a Phantom. Other than that can I expect it to otherwise kick a Phantom’s teeth down its throat?

I assume the answer is yes, but I just need to know if we expect a hornet to be a “bus” or not

It will very easily win a dogfight with a Phantom.

Theres talk in other threads on “potentially adding a swiss F18c hornet to Germany”

And there its also stated somehwere that the performance between an F18c and the F4F ICE wouldnt be all that different because the hornet would “still be a bus”.

I don’t know much about hornets but the above statement seems unlikely to me. So that’s why I asked.