F/A-18 Hornet (Legacy): History, Performance & Discussion

so fake wrong cause you say so

6 Likes

Yes let’s ignore GE’s own figures

Sensible take lmao

3 Likes

No, the chart you posted is correct. The RM12 produces 18,000+ lbf in uninstalled static thrust. The GE-402 produces less. The peak installed thrust will be higher on the -402 thanks to the improvements discussed in the above sources. Please read and understand what is being discussed before posting. Thanks.

AND IN CIRCLES WE GO AGAIN
WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT
like come on

3 Likes

It’s already been shared over a dozen times on three threads of which you’ve been participating. Please refer to the above sources. Read and understand thoroughly. GE states that the RM12s fan would only improve performance at very high altitude and low speeds (top left of the thrust by airspeed and altitude chart). They state the performance is a temperature limited figure. We know the GE-402 has higher sustained temperature limits, and the RM12 only gets close to those same temperature improvements in a short burst higher power mode or configuration.

You continue to respond by showing the RM12 has higher static uninstalled thrust. This only shows what I’ve been telling you. When airflow is limited, the RM12 produces additional thrust. The GE-402, when not airflow limited, but rather temperature limited… Would have higher available thrust. This is because it has higher sustainable temperature limits thanks to the modifications also mentioned in the source. It has better airflow and a lower pressure ratio, which favor a higher peak / optimal thrust than the RM12… But of course when the power band moves to the right, less static uninstalled thrust is seen.

We aren’t going in circles, you’re actively refusing to acknowledge the facts.

nothing you said makes sense

3 Likes

Neither of the comments you linked have the sources or information I am referencing. The latter from wasa is clearly not a valid or usable source because it’s shown to be wrong by primary sources. I can see why you’re confused if you didn’t follow the conversation and read further up, but You’ve also discussed this in the past and been shown the data multiple times already. Please take the time to read from the source material so we are all on the same page.

what primary sources say its wrong then

1 Like

Even after he has been told by GJN he is wrong on this specific issue, he continues to insist he is right. But when you ask him for his source he is vague and say he can’t share it here.

2 Likes

You must be trolling? The aforementioned documents from GE and the NSAID document which show peak thrust at between 0.8 and 1.2 mach.

You’ve been presented these sources via links and screenshots on at least a half dozen occasions now on the forum alone.

1 Like

Gaijin stated they think the installed thrust on tbe RM12 to be higher than that of the GE-402, they didn’t state why. The documents clearly tell a different story and this isn’t the first time they’ve been wrong. I’d like to remind you that they adjusted the thrust according to my report anyway and the entire flight model to boot.

Let’s not even go into the stinger issue they think they’re right about or the other flight model fixes I’ve put in.

It’s standard for them to append a bug report where possible to any changes they make. There were changes to the Gripen fm on the dev server before you even submitted your report. I don’t know why you have this egotistical obsession with claiming you personally are responsible for these changes.

You still haven’t stated the exact source for the 402 having a better engine thrust than the RM12, and where it can be found?

That’s them just making excuses for their Russian bias. Plain and simple.

1 Like

If you’d read the comments you’d see the information forwarded and tested showed discrepancies that were fixed accordingly. In some cases Gaijin doesn’t take these sources at face value. There is nothing wrong with being prideful that you pointed out and got something fixed that was broken with the game.

I have, multiple times now. Please read.

Is it? I don’t see a thermal imager / ordnance on any Russian CAS yet.

Ka52 has been in the game for a long time.

I’m sure that’s how you read it.

It’s extremely cringeworthy, especially when you bring it up as often as you can boastfully.

You haven’t posted a single thing which shows the RM12 has worse performance than the 402. You keep pointing out the 402 has 10-20% better installed thrust than the 400 over its envelope…? I don’t understand how that proves anything. The RM12 was an even bigger % increase over the 400.

edit:
Here is part of your source saying that the RM12 should have even superior thrust to the 402 in the “upper left corner” of the envelope.

1 Like

Ain’t no way the Gripen argument migrated over into this thread because of engine derivatives…

Christ the lord this defense gets old.

Literally the moment anyone disagrees with what you’ve said, documents or no, it’s clearly a case of “you’re trolling”. Which is getting tiresome at this point, because it was the same on the Gripen thread.

The reason Gaijin thinks that the RM12 has more thrust than the F404 (-102, -103 and -402 variants) is because it is explicitly stated on GE’s own website. Granted, the engines both refer to sea level, but the difference is clear. the RM12 has more thrust than the -402 at maximum output

Why would you use anything other than, oh I don’t know, GE’s own figures.

Apparently this man likes to kick the dead horse a lot. I imagine his toes hurt quite a bit right about now.
Somehow, despite GE’s own documentation stating that at Sea Level, the RM12 has more thrust than the -402 variant engine at maximum power, that isn’t good enough.

Anyone know when MiG-23’s Birthday is? I’ll send him some boots with steel toecaps.

6 Likes

What a shocker a engine that had changes done to be better in a single engine
fighter doesn’t work as well when put into a twin engine

it like this source would only be useful if their was a f/a18 with the RM12

1 Like

Y’all ignoring the fact that thrust is a dynamic value that changes based on a number of other variables. The uninstalled STATIC thrust can be higher, the DYNAMIC INSTALLED thrust can certainly be lower.

Until I see data that shows the RM12 has superior thrust in spite of the inferior temperature limitations I’m going to continue referencing the fact that the F404 is a temp limited engine and the -402 has superior temperature limits to the RM12.

So you have nothing other the temps higher
You know their is many other factor that can make RM12 has better thrust until we have data

Your point means nothing

3 Likes

As well as an aerodynamics expert, he’s a jet engine thermodynamics expert. They sure invest a lot of education into their loaders in the US.

He has no documents which show the RM12 has a significantly worse thrust curve than the 402, he’s guessing off incomplete data.

4 Likes