F/A-18 Hornet (Legacy): History, Performance & Discussion

“Commonly available” doesn’t always mean unrestricted. For the manuals and reports that are less than 30 years old, they must be labeled as “unclassified”, “declassified” or “approved for public release”.

Please keep in mind that a document that are perfectly fine elsewhere may be problematic here.

4 Likes

Absolutely
I could see the A coming in August/September, with the C being either the December patch or maybe a little before

Photos and illustrations showing the DDI stores page of F/A-18A/B.

Spoiler

SP: AIM-7
SW: AIM-9
HARM: AGM-88
82B: Mk 82 (BLU-111)
82X: Mk 82 Snakeye (BLU-111 + Mk 15)
83B: Mk 83 (BLU-110)
FUEL: FPU-8
FLIR: AN/AAS-38 NITE Hawk
LST: AN/ASQ-173 LTD/SCAM

Here is what I’ve recreated based on those.

Clean / Air-to-Air / Air-to-Ground

5 Likes

A two things as hyper specific points of order;

The USN doesn’t carry the regular series Mk. 8x of warheads, but use a different one from the USAF due to stowage requirements; being the BLU-109(2000lb AP bomb) -110 (1000lb class), -111 (500lb class) & the reserved -112(250lb class).

These use the comparatively more insensitive PBXN-109, which is more resistant to shock and Flame in comparison to HBX H-6 (denoted by one yellow band). Which the USAF also has some use for as the warheads for some kit based penetrating munitions(allowing for the proper function of delay fusing), though the USAF variants tend to also forgo the additional insulative spray covering, and vented baseplates common to the Navy variants.

AND

Due to how much newer the Hornet is I’m pretty certain that they were probably never loaded with ordnance fitted with the Snakeye series of retarding fins, but more likely the AIR (Air Inflatable Retarder) kit as the High-Drag kit of choice. Considering it was replaced in the late '70s in USAF service due to the 200kts added release window of the HD (500kts vs 700kts, ~0.75M vs ~1.1M) mode and improved accuracy.

Spoiler

Added clarification. Actually they are BLU-110/111, but the aviational ordnanceman’s manual usually refers to it simply as Mk 82/83. So my original intention was to write it down more simply.

Spoiler

1 Like

Because the source says the GE-402 engine improves static installed thrust by 10%. The static installed thrust of the GE-400 is 16,200 lb-f. This is after intake losses are already considered.

Thus, we add the 10% claimed (17,820) and it is slightly higher than the static uninstalled rating of the GE-402… to give it benefit of the doubt we simply tune it down to the 17,750 lb-f uninstalled static thrust rating.

Intake losses are irrelevant when installed thrust values are provided by documentation. All this means is that the engine is well fed and airflow is not restricted by the intake. Other source material confirms that the engine is not flow limited, but temperature limited.

1 Like

No it’s not? It produces 17,200lbf installed at M0.8 and its uninstalled thrust is always advertised at 16,000lbf

1 Like

QNEP data states otherwise

IMG_3270

3 Likes

You’re not listening

It was stated the GE-402 managed to increase static installed thrust by 10% and peak thrust by almost 20%. 16,200 lb-f multiplied by 1.1 is 17,820 lb-f.

I adjusted it down to just 17,750 for my T/W ratio estimates.

anything below M0.7 is calculated/estimated is it not?

“The comparison shows that errors are reasonably small in both supersonic and subsonic flight regimes”…

QNEP is the Navy’s method for producing installed thrust performance data without flight testing. It can be considered as accurate as a flight manuals ‘estimated data’. Likewise, it should be considered a primary source in regards to the -400 core installed thrust.

In regards to the -402, we only have the ballpark “10% improved static installed thrust” figure to go off. That’s again why I went with 17,750 vs the 17,820 figure. Even assuming it is slightly lower than this from intake losses it would still be higher than the Su-27’s thrust to weight with equal fuel weights. That was my point in the other thread - the F-18 is stated as having poor T/W but the reality is not the thrust. The drag causes poor acceleration in spite of a decent T/W.

The F18 has high TWR in a clean configuration with limited fuel.

It’s one of the reasons why it is a favoured aircraft for the blue angles.

However, once you put it into a combat load, especially by the navy’s standard which requires a high patrol time & large combat radius, your light and nimble airframe is now very heavy and very draggy.

You will burn through your fuel very quickly on full afterburner and be slower than most aircraft at most altitudes so you are going tk be forced to take extra fuel than most other aircraft.

On the Mirage 2000C you can easily take 50% fuel plus a drop tank (35 minuites total) and it will last the whole game with plenty to spare, all while being one of the fastest planes in level flight.

In the F18 most players will take 100% fuel and a drop tank and still probably struggle with fuel if they never turned off their afterburner.

Try and do the same in

In fact, the thrust will still be lower.Since input losses are not all losses.Here I need a complete description of the engine, then you can tell exactly what the thrust will be

It has a higher sustained turn rate than the F-16C at 50% fuel clean when it has 60% fuel and 4 missiles.

It has a higher thrust to weight ratio than the Su-27 when equally armed and at equal fuel weights all the way up to maximum fuel load of the F-18.

The F-18 has a good T/W ratio when equipped with the improved GE-402 engines regardless of the conditions, comparable to the best 4th generation fighters of the 90s. It has fantastic sustained turn rate and really is only limited by low acceleration due to the aerodynamic designs’ higher drag.

2 Likes

Can you message me on discord what information you need? We can post the findings here and the sources but it will be easier to discuss

If you waste time accelerating you will run head-on into missiles. Better tactics are to use the advanced RWR and other sensors to sneak attack people from lower altitudes below contrail height. The F-18 is a menace and can absolutely dominate middle altitudes.

F404

1. F404-GE-402 8020 kgf=17822 lbs
    16039 lbs Thrust taking into account losses in the air intake

is gaijin going to add the f18a without aim120’s after the big update where all the other airplanes at 13.0 have aim120s? even if it gets put at 12.3 or 12.7 there is still other aircraft at that BR with ARH missiles, and it would be very very disappointing if it was put at 12.0 and the us navy air tree didn’t get any higher BR aircraft

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about this.

1 Like