F/A-18 Hornet (Legacy): History, Performance & Discussion

In fact, the thrust will still be lower.Since input losses are not all losses.Here I need a complete description of the engine, then you can tell exactly what the thrust will be

It has a higher sustained turn rate than the F-16C at 50% fuel clean when it has 60% fuel and 4 missiles.

It has a higher thrust to weight ratio than the Su-27 when equally armed and at equal fuel weights all the way up to maximum fuel load of the F-18.

The F-18 has a good T/W ratio when equipped with the improved GE-402 engines regardless of the conditions, comparable to the best 4th generation fighters of the 90s. It has fantastic sustained turn rate and really is only limited by low acceleration due to the aerodynamic designs’ higher drag.

2 Likes

Can you message me on discord what information you need? We can post the findings here and the sources but it will be easier to discuss

If you waste time accelerating you will run head-on into missiles. Better tactics are to use the advanced RWR and other sensors to sneak attack people from lower altitudes below contrail height. The F-18 is a menace and can absolutely dominate middle altitudes.

F404

1. F404-GE-402 8020 kgf=17822 lbs
    16039 lbs Thrust taking into account losses in the air intake

is gaijin going to add the f18a without aim120’s after the big update where all the other airplanes at 13.0 have aim120s? even if it gets put at 12.3 or 12.7 there is still other aircraft at that BR with ARH missiles, and it would be very very disappointing if it was put at 12.0 and the us navy air tree didn’t get any higher BR aircraft

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about this.

1 Like

AIM-7P with datalink and lofting wouldn’t be too bad, and if fitted with a large amount of air to ground ordnance would fit the real world role of a sorta strike fighter with defensive capabilities. The F-18C with the 402’s and other enhancements will definitely be a 13.0 addition more than likely.

This requires the F/A-18A Plus, a F/A-18A with an avionics equivalent to the F/A-18C. Earlier F/A-18A cannot use most of guided weaponry on its own, except two AGM-62.

This hasn’t stopped gaijin, somehow I doubt it will matter anyway

It should have access to similar guided A2G ordnance as the A-7E (-65B, -D & -E , AGM-62A &-B & -84E via the AWW-9 Advanced Secure Datalink Pod, also used by the ERDL. And early AGM-88), and be incapable of self-designation since only the later Nitehawk (AN/AAS-38, aka. ATFLIR) variants received laser designator capabilities. And even then, USMC F/A-18A+ & -Cs weren’t allowed to use it as such due to poor FoV in comparison to the LITENING pod (ADA498288) carried by the land based -18Ds.

The “-A+” added the AGM-65F & Non SLAM AGM-84 carriage.

2 Likes

I’m a pure air RB player so ground attack ordinance isn’t as important to me, for the early modification grind it is nice to have bombs and a bombing computer but that comes standard for most aircraft, even pure air interception like the f15 and f14, so I’m just hoping gaijin makes up some f/a18a late bullshit to give it aim120’s and to put it at 13.0

The F-18 is not a pure air to air fighter, if you want that we have the F-15 already

Spoiler

In fact, some F/A-18A/Bs were capable of using Harpoon before the plus upgrade. This is probably related to a change in mission computer software.

2 Likes

I don’t want the f15, I want the f18, there’s a difference

8 Likes

I think the F-18A will get the AIM-7.

thats what i was asking earlier, seems kind of stupid to add an aircraft with aim-7’s after you release a big update where every country gets fox 3’s

1 Like

It depends on what BR Gaijin wants the aircraft to be at. A Legacy Hornet with only 9Ls and 7F/Ms is like 12.0 material, tops

That would be disappointing considering the F14B is already 12.0

Uhhhhh
No?

The F-18A still has quite powerful turn rate and better AoA / handling than anything else in the game below 12.3/12.7 … It also has AIM-7’s with lofting and datalink. Equipping it with such ordnance would mean placing it at 12.3 minimum and even then, it will remain competitive.