F-15 Eagle: History, Performance & Discussion

Reminder that the first F-15C got the AN/APG-63v2 AESA radar in 1999 making it the first production fighter in history to equip an AESA radar, so such a radar is available prior to 2000.

1 Like

Yes, however the v2 was essentially an operational prototype. It equipped a single squadron before being replaced by the v3. Most units went straight from v1 to v3

Personally, I expect gaijin add F-15C MSIP II with AN/APG-63(V)1 radar but IR & active radar homing Air-to-Air Missile early 2000’s before F-15C with AN/APG-63(V)2 or AN/APG-63(V)3 AESA radar, Joint Helmet-Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS), AIM-9X sidewinder and AIM-120C-7 AMRAAM

The helmet sight was first successfully tested on the F-15 as part of the testing of the highly maneuverable AIM-95 missile in the 1970s - the AIMVAL/ACEVAL.
The helmet sight was originally planned, but eventually made it on the F-15 after about 2007. In USAF, it was the first aircraft to get it.

Still more than enough for it’s addition per gaijin’s requirements if needed.

I agree, but I don’t think it’s likely for this update.

Agile Eye also was testet in early 90s

Eagle Eye ? You mean the rifle scope? It was first used in AIMVAL/ACEVAL

Agile Eye HMD developed by Kaiser electronics.

1 Like

Its not how flood works and “stealth” launch just for using the flood antenna.

Any kind of sparrow launch is “stealth”. Flood mode is just throwing out exactly the same tracking HPRF signal by the flood horn antenna which would normally be sent by the antenna and 2 horns when the radar is unable to relock or transition from MPRF to HPRF as backup if the sparrow could still guide but need illumination. It switches automatically.

If the pilot selects flood mode just to do it. It’s signal’s PRF is MPRF, and ranging is up to 2N.M. It’s like the radar inside F86 nose, just for ranging for the gunsight lead calculation. The lock is anything on the front on a WIDE angle (16°)and elevation(40°).

Now just firing a sparrow coming from an initial flood mode track, I don’t think its possible. One could argue that due to using MPRF, doppler is calculated therefore you feed that to the sparrow so it can home in on that doppler return But if its in MPRF, then the doppler falls to velocity abiguity. Then you gotta consider the MLC is considerably extended spectrally due to the ±20° illumination in the vertical axis.

1 Like

Oh, that’s what you meant, that’s news to me.

Agile Eye was first flown on an F-15 in 1986. According to its manufacturer Rockwell Collins.

Spoiler

I also have documents stating the first operational test of JHMCS on an F-15 was in 1999

Spoiler

And technically regardless of the VTAS system, the all F-15s have been integrated with the Dash 3 helmet at some point

Spoiler

1 Like

Do you know how the SNIFF radar mode worked ? Could it have provided a sneak attack on the target ?

According to ADA240170 from 1988 it was only tested in ground simulator

Happen to have that one? Given the quip in the source I found im actually inclined to believe it as that’s the kind of thing that I 100% see happening and being memorable. Doesn’t necessarily make it more valid but it does in my eyes.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/ADA240170.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiu58vyuaaGAxXJFRAIHcRWD1AQFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3oZkbc1nikzdhasuZgRJ9j

Flight test were made in 1990s. Program was named Vista Sabre.

Period of performance says August 86 - October 87

1 Like

Documents is from 1988.

This is for that

2 Likes

Oh I see, I read it wrong. When I saw MACS I thought they were McDonnell-Douglas owned test aircraft.

1 Like

Sniff is used to detect jamming and/or provide minimum transmission time to prevent detection.
Don’t know the exact details as it’s in the -1-1 -1 and its mostly an ECCM mode. It’s just passively receiving signal while scanning with no transmission to check if there’s any jamming or emitter.

It can also be forced to transmit for 2/1 bars then returns to just listen. But I’d say it provides a very short pulse( or a really short set of pulses to detect a target as it can do it during the transmit) during this transmit and then just listens for a relatively long time. The logic being that the jamming pod would detect this pulse(or series of pules), get triggered and send the a series signal with shifted frequency and phase to provide the jam the radar.

Hence sniffing

If by attack you mean firing stuff no.

1 Like