F-15 Eagle: History, Performance & Discussion

So when the F15C comes, it will get new engines. Is it true that those new engines have the same amount of power output as the F15A engines? Also, I believe that the F15C is mach 2.5 capable. Is this true? What changed (if the A and C had the same power output) so that the F15 was suddenly mach 2.5 capable?

Only about M2.4 in standard conditions.

アクティブ・フェーズドアレイ=AESA.

Active Phased Array is synonymous with AESA, For example, see the following paper:

PDF you uploaded indicates that the seeker has been upgraded to AESA starting from the AAM-4B missile.

AAM-4からの改良点

• アクティブフェーズドアレイアンテナ化による送信電力増大等
  • 新方式の信号処理機能の追加

Improvements from AAM-4

• Increased transmission power through active phased array antenna
  • Addition of new signal processing functions
Spoiler

Additionally, another PDF mentions:

試作では、誘導部の能力向上を図り、技術的課題であるクラッタ抑圧に優れた信号処理技術及び目標捕捉能力等に優れたアク ティブフェーズドアレイアンテナ技術を確 立した。

In the prototype, improvements in the guidance section were aimed at establishing signal processing technology and active phased array antenna technology that excel in clutter suppression and target acquisition capabilities.

Spoiler

Documents clearly state that the AAM-4B is equipped with AESA seeker, unlike the AAM-4.

6 Likes

The new engines have a better power curve, basically look at it as an acceleration boost, but lose a slight bit of absolute top speed as a result. Could theoretically break 2.5 if you’re high enough and low enough on fuel

PW-220 are slightly less powerful than PW-100. But, the F-15Cs are more powerful because they were given digital engine control which led to better acceleration - DEEC.
The F-15 is only capable of mach 2.5 in the right conditions for a very limited time, it has no practical use.
The F-15’s top speed is about 2.3, with armament and tanks under the wings about M1.8.

1 Like

No. They have more thrust, specifically targeted at high alt - above mach 1. Considerable thrust takes place above M 1.6 25k ft

Acceleration was improved along with operational(and maximum) flight ceiling atop speed.

Clean at 65% fuel the ceiling is just below 59k ft between Mach 1.6 and Mach 2.2 with the 220s
The 100s don’t reach 58k and the closest it gets os at M1.8. While the 220 reaches M2.2 at 58k ft, the Pw100s need to be lower to get at this speed, lower 50s. The Pw100 to reach M2.35 it need to be below 43k ft and above 35k ft. It will struggle to hit maximum structural velocity, unlike the 220s which can actually rip anything above 25kftm and this one actually reaches 2.5, but above 45k due to structural limits.

An pw220 at 80% fuel, the thrust takes it up to M1.38 with limit at 1.4 at 10k ft.
The pw100 can just reach M1.3.

This is at 40k ft

You can look at the level flight charts, the top end was expanded in altitude and speed.
You can see that on the Pw100 you are able to see the flight limits on a standard day and a +10°C day. On the PW200s, you are only able to see the limit hot day limits, and the standard day does not even appear as it goes slightly beyond the structural limits

5 Likes

ummm no It may have entered service in 1999 but the F-2 was the first aircraft to feature an AESA radar.

1 Like

Source selection

2 Likes

It is said that the F-15C equipped with AN/APG-63(V)2 went into service in 2000. Also, in the literature and websites that I know of, it is stated that the F-2 is the world’s first fighter jet equipped with an AESA radar. I have never seen any documentation that it is an F-15C.

I don’t think it matters who was first, the F-15C had AESA in 2000.

The article states that the F-15C equipped with AESA radar began operation in December 2000. The F-2 began operating in October 2000. So you can see that F-2 is 2 months earlier.

Boeing Delivers Final AESA-Equipped F-15 Aircraft to U.S. Air Force - Dec 20, 2000 (mediaroom.com)

Since I’m having to copy it again, the final APG-63(V)2 equipped F-15C was delivered in December 20, 2000, it was already within the 3WG inventory prior to that. Unless you want to missread it like Cotor and say that the first 3 were delivered on this date.

Good to hear that you dont think the F-15C is an aircraft and the AN/APG-63(V)2 is not an AESA radar.

Funny bit about this, the AN/APG-63(V)1 entered service in 2001 on the F-15s, so service date wise the AN/APG-63(V)2 was in service prior to the (V)1 even though it retains a subsequent mark.

U.S. Air Force F-15 Eagles Receiving Boeing APG-63(V)1 Radar Upgrade - Apr 2, 2001 (mediaroom.com)

1 Like

ur actually delusional

Cool good to see that you don’t refute the argument and resort to ad hominem.

its not an argument, You lost the argument with actual facts. So i dunno what ur getting at

You posted no sources while I posted two from Boeing’s own portfolio, the burden of proof is on you my guy, you’ve posted nothing to back up your claims.

Come back when you have actual citations that prove that the US did not take ownership of their 15 modified F-15Cs prior to receiving their final 3 on December 20th, 2000.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any info when the first was fitted?
Even early 2000 still sounds a bit later than the F-2 fitting the first AESA radar in 1995. Were there any operational tests with APG-63(V)2 on operational aircraft or only testing?

So far it sounds a lot like F-2 was the first operational fighter to mount AESA, while the F-15 was the first to do so in service.

That’s a tautology.

The first mention I recall of testing was 1988 for terrain mapping related developments.

Would have to pre-date December 20, 2000, which is the contract completion date for the 18 aircraft as the final delivery occurred here, by a fair amount given Raytheon would not be able to just make a radar and immediately hand it off to their contract owners without testing it.

The claim most commonly made of the J/APG-1 is that it is quote " It was the first series production AESA to be introduced on a military aircraft in service." We can argue the pedantics of “functional” vs “in service” vs “operational” all day, but the above is the claim that is most prominent which would put the F-15C just slightly before the F-2 under the pretense of the airframe being “in service”.

This also.

I’ve seen statements that the F-2 came into service in September, October, December and August of 2000 with all of said citations not really stating where that time frame comes from. To that same end functionally all other citations commonly just quote 2000 alone. There has to be a good chunk of actual dates given somewhere in some archive since this would be a rather momentous occasion in Japan, taking delivery of the first of their next generation fighters.

That and if we are going by testing only dates, would not the YF-22 predate both of the aircraft in question here as it’s first properly recorded flight was on September 29th 1990 with it’s ferry flight.

F-22 Milestones - Part 1 | Code One Magazine

All i want is for us to actually get the MSIP variant so we have HMD
Personally i think its too early for AESA radars to come to the game though