F-14 Tomcat: History, Performance & Discussion

I don’t think Tomcat had a hard G limit

3 Likes

Navy rated it at 6.5G for maintenance sake, Docs don’t go above 7.5, Pilots claim to have done 8+, Grumman supposedly rated it at +9, -5.5 (I remember hearing this in some old promotional video but for the life of me I can’t find it), and supposedly some Iranian pulled 11G, damaging the airframe.

And this guy pulled 10G
https://web.archive.org/web/20120206111108/https://instapinch.com/?p=1003

4 Likes

Is it this one?

Also VF-1 / VF-2 F-14A’s should have the AN/ALR-23 IRSTS (1975 SAC)

5 Likes

I think the F-14 airframe was made at 7.33g like the F-15.

Sincerely GREAT THANKS to Gaijin that have done F-14 A so USELESS, Phoenix doesn t hit anything , radar TWS focusing above all on missiles launched and not bigger aircraft, other mods not locking on ennemies but allies (even when on pd hdn the allied is not head on !!!), chaffs ineffective against radar missiles, but AWG 9 unlock immediately.
Very good job …

1 Like

That change seems have been reversed, or that whole patch was. Redditors said it’s reversed due to unexpected bug.

unexpected bug ? yeah! who believe that ? the pheonix was too effective with that fix and crying people made it reverse

1 Like

The F-14’s are now finally confirmed to be getting their fuel tank pods:

Also interesting is that the developers have now directly mentioned the performance and their general outlook on the AIM-54 Phoenixes with the F-14 in-game in their FOX-3 event post which is nice to see since they are too aware of it not being ‘overpowered’ by any means at all. So hopefully this possibly means more potential buffs for the AIM-54 especially with AMRAAMs just around the corner?

4 Likes

Around the 5:35 mark Mat mentions automatically changing to IR to not loose the target (in current dev server) Does anyone know if that may apply to the F14s TCS pod?

Devs still peddling the myth that the AIM-54 has poor performance against maneuvrable fighter sized targets despite most AIM-54 kills in combat being against fighters and F-14 pilots stating the missiles were very maneuvrable, and sources showing that the missile in-game is missing 32% of its max g-load at least, among many other issues…

Here is a list of CONFIRMED AIM-54A kills:

Not even the C with its completely new seeker (not modelled in-game), or its higher top speed (not modelled in-game), or its directional warhead (not modelled in-game), or even its reduced smoke motor (again, not modelled in-game)…

5 Likes

Most of them scored kills against non maneuvering targets meant for bombing with no RWR.

If that is actually applied, yes, the TCS would have more functionality than it currently does as sensor slaving between the AWG, TCS, and IRST (later on) was a tactic used by crews. This would only apply to the F-14B unless they put a later model F-14A in game.

Oh I completely missed that! Maybe theyre FINALLY solving one of my old bug reports?!

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the Bombcat’s TISEO is the only Airborne Optical Targeting System that could actually direct the rest of the targeting system like a radar…

Unless they mean Russian IRSTs, which AFAIK couldn’t direct their aircraft’s CW illuminators or interact with their Datalinks.

TCS on the tomcat, TISEO is on the later F-4E’s.

I know for a fact the TCS can slave the radar (hence the bug report), im not sure of other things, but I wouldnt be suprised if IRST’s could as well, seeing as theyre part of the fire control system.

Wishful thinking for me as to IF they even fix the TCS, but if they do, i wonder how it’ll work

2 Likes

The F-14A’s IRSTS can do so as well.

The thing about the ALR-23 is that it doesn’t provide an image of the target image, only detected point sources of IR energy, so can’t be used to VID targets, which is why it was replaced by an Electro Optical system, and later an IIR (AAS-42).

The AN/AAS-15 (F-8, inc. F-8E(FN)) can automatically attempt to transfer an IRST track to the Radar (for use with the AIM-9C), though it can only be attempted once since otherwise the Radar and IRST can only be used exclusively.

Based on what we know of the other systems not the game, the AAA-4 on the F-110A / F-4B / F-4C (& F-101B) should also be able to do so, since all it it really doing is interfacing with the BST (Boresight) / manual auxiliary AIM-7 mode to be guided by the Sensor’s tracking loop.

F-4E AOJ&HOJ

The IRST on the F-102 & F-106 should also be able to manipulate tracking modes automatically, for the FCS

5 Likes

I’m researching the F-14A circa early 2000’s to post a proposal for implementation of the F-14A(late) in the forum.

The best missiles they were able to have were probably the AIM-9M, AIM-7P, and AIM-54A Mk.60, but what else were they able to carry like targeting pods?

Also, I’ve heard somewhere that the F-14A RWRs were updated for the later stages of operation, how is that different from what we have now?

1 Like

Where would it go? Between the A early and B?

The B does everything a late model A can do and more. LANTIRN was fitted to some As but it was more adhoc compared to the B and the D. The B also has an artificially limited A2A weapons suite.

1 Like

or Rank 8 prem because we will gets F-20?

It is up to Gaijin, but I would like to see an F-14A in the game that looks more like the one from Top Gun, since the F-14A Early we currently have is not the Tomcat from the “Top Gun” movie, but more like the one that killed the A6M at Pearl Harbor.

1 Like

The Final Countdown was a documentary, it’s just that it was a documentary on War Thunder instead of history.

1 Like