F-14 Tomcat: History, Performance & Discussion

Gaijin implemented add 2 external fuel tank 280 gal on F-14A Early & F-14B

And then I hope gaijin add AIM-9M on F-14B with expand to 12.3 BR in major update “Alpha Strike” on live server

3 Likes

It would be nice but I have a feeling the F-14B will stay artificially limited A2A wise, with only the D eventually getting the full loadout.

2 Likes

Personally, I think F-14D with IR SRAAM AIM-9M (stock)/AIM-9M-8, SARH MRAAM AIM-7M/AIM-7P and BVRAAM AIM-54C/AIM-54C+ (AIM-54C ECCM)

I guess F-14D could be 12.3 or 12.7 BR and in foldered with F-14B at rank 8

I want gajin add AIM-9M with increase to 12.3 BR in major update “Alpha Strike” in live server

1 Like

Depending on how the devs implement the APG-71 and other sensors (TCS and IRST), I could see the D being in the 13s. If radars and airborne sensors stay more or less as is, then it probably would be 12.7.

The D just falls in a weird place where the sensors are fantastic but the weapons (if they stay as they are) are pretty lackluster for top tier. Theoretically, the D could get the AMRAAM but that’s a toss up if it would be implemented in game.

1 Like

Yes and no

They planned integration with the D but from what i have seen they only did it to the A

I say theoretically because they planned for it and it did make it into the pre-production SAC:

The AMRAAM program was cut from the D because the D was slated to be replaced by the Super Hornet, the D ended up being years behind schedule, and they (the DOD) just didn’t want to spend the money on it.

I could see AMRAAM implemented on the D to bring it up in BR if the sensors are implemented realistically.

1 Like

maybe they are adding R darter to the Gripen

And they put the ER on 29As. 9Ls on the F-20. It just depends on where they want to place the D.

Mate the old forums locked down. Since it’s an archive. However, you did spur a lovely discussion. Mostly.

i would love to see the F14D with AMRAAMS as right now it wouldn’t be that much of a step up from the B as it would have the same loadout but with 9Ms

4 Likes

APG-71 and IRST would be very interesting. Didn’t it get another engine upgrade too?

Yeah it did

F-14D getting AMRAAMs wouldn’t be like MiG-29A getting R-27ERs, it would be like MiG-23ML getting R-27s.

Every MiG-29A built, no matter who operated it or what specification it was in, was equally able to operate the R-27ER. The pylon and software to launch the R-27 and R-27E in respective variants are identical, and any aircraft that can carry one on a given pylon can carry the other with no modification. The distinction in pylon capabilities between different R-27 pylons is solely that the rail launcher for wing mounts has the necessary cooling equipment to operate R-27T variants, while the catapult launcher for fuselage mounts does not.

It is not technologically wrong for the MiG-29A to make use of the R-27E, as it always could. The reason the R-27E shouldn’t be given to the MiG-29A in war thunder is that the MiG-29A is intended to represent the aircraft as it was in Soviet and East German service, and in service with them it was never operated with R-27Es (which were not even exported to East Germany). This is because the R-27E was specifically a part of the Su-27 program, and was intended for it, while R-27 was intended for MiG-29, and this was abided by in service.

While the MiG-29A should not be given the R-27E for the is reason, the logic by which the MiG-29 can operate the R-27E in war thunder does not translate to F-14D and AMRAAM. If you strapped an R-27E to the inner wing pylon of any East German MiG-29 9-12, it would work as intended. This is not the case with any F-14D, only those specifically modified for testing with AMRAAM.

3 Likes

True to a point, but the radar and its rMax/rMin/LSZ information (if it had it) would need to be updated so the FCS can give accurate targeting information to the pilot.

This is mentioned in my Tornado F.3 Tactics manual as they were introducing SuperTEMP they had to use the older TEMP rMax/rMin/LSZ information until the newer zones could be updated on the FCS.

Doesn’t make the missile incompatible but it isn’t as simple as it fits and launches the same way. Sure you could fire without updated rMax/rMin/LSZ and learn the rough ranges and target parameters.

6 Likes

That’s not right, all F-14D’s were wired up with AMRAAM compatibility seen with it being listed in the SAC.

What happened was that the pylons and full integration were not funded(reinvested into outfitting airframes with LITENING TGPs, for interdiction) and so it never saw service. with the photos we have its more than enough info for it to be at very least under consideration, considering the Harrier GR.1 with SRAAMs, F-5A with MER and other assorted ordnance items have been added, and we know with some certainty that in either case it was a very small number of airframes that were refitted to do so.

Though in the case of the F-14, the AIM-54 (if it actually functioned properly) is significantly better than the -120A on offer. Further if we’re going to be adding prototyped ordnance, the AIM-95 & AN/AVG-8B VTAS II HMS would be a better addition as it would actually be a significant upgrade to an existing capability.

7 Likes

Interesting i thought they only integrated the A

Only one A was retrofitted to fire AMRAAM and it was as a test platform, not operational. The Navy used the F-14 in a lot of testing. Shoot, the prototype D even tested out HARM, but it didn’t get implemented operationally.

1 Like

At least I hope gaijin implemented AIM-9M on F-14B with increase BR to 12.3 for major update “Alpha Strike” in live server

The F-14D fleet never got the AMRAAM pylon stored on their ships otherwise all they’d need is a software update and the missile itself. That’s how close they were to using AMRAAM. Just having a software change and the physical hardware for mounting them on the F-14.

Political red tape was the true defining issue that held the F-14D back from receiving AMRAAM.

7 Likes

it was that funding got limited and so they had to chose which capabilities they wanted, instead of the AMRAAM they got all of the models (F-14A, -B & -D) access to LITENING pods, which were probably far more useful IRL considering what they would go on to be involved in had comparatively few A2A interactions.

Though that choice probably did impact the decision to retire the F-14 early, once the AIM-54 inventory started to age out after 2003 or so, meant that it was stuck with Sparrows and Sidewinders and so have obvious shortfalls vs the F/A-18.