F-14 Tomcat: History, Performance & Discussion

MaMoran 20 is a true Eagle fan.
vmax

2 Likes

102% Trim engine is 100% of the thrust of the F-100 PW-100 engine.
The engine trim was set on the ground, and the idea was to extend the reliability of the engine if trim 95 or 97% is selected.

2 Likes

Looking at the PW 200 engine installed thrust on the F16A, +4% fogure with Vmax is right.

2 Likes

It still baffles me Gaijin went that far with it

I remember talking with a friend of mine who used to play, and one of the first things he asked me was “is the F-5E still over-performing like it was a few years ago?” (keep in mind, this dude works on F-5s, he knows them like the back of his hand)

1 Like

Gaijin still either ignoring or refusing to disable auto slats on bot F14’s… GG

2 Likes

TBH, I have no idea why Gaijin modeled late 1970s F-14A instead 1980s.

1980s F-14A is still using old RWR and no “bombcat” upgrades but, it still has unique stuffs such as TCS and new TF-30 that is almost fixed compressor stall issues.

Because they pushed it out too early to cash in on Top Gun, and wanted to limit its armaments to keep it from being too good against the gen 3s that were top dogs at the time.

Why didn’t they simply limit its armaments until they were ready to give it more?
Simple, this way makes it easier to sell a premium F-14 later. I expect we’ll see an F-14 “late” or IRIAF F-14 for sale or as an event vehicle once we see more gen 4.5s.

1 Like

Functionally, 1980s F-14A is not that much different from the one of the 1970s, and when if it was implemented in the game, there is literally no difference other than the TCS.

Even the missiles they could carry AIM-9L/M as of the 1980s, but at that time there was still an inventory of older rear-aspect AIM-9D/G/H, so they could limit their loadout to the same as the F-14A Early we currently have in the game.

Also, the Tomcat we have is actually not close to the one from the Top Gun movie, but rather very close in appearance to the Tomcat that time-traveled to Pearl Harbor.

BTW, Iranian F-14A would be awful because it has AIM-9P and DF sparrows instead AIM-9G/H and AIM-7Fs and, it couldn’t launch R-27s.

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware.

I’m aware of this too, but its easier to tell people “no this version literally can’t carry all-aspects stop asking,” as iirc they actually did that after the patch dropped.

I’m still aware, however Top Gun 2 was in theaters at that moment. Very clearly a quick cash grab to tie in with the movie.

I did mean the more modern IRIAF F-14, you know. Nobody would ever pay for one circa their Iraq war.

I mean, it is skeptical that current their F-14As are really receiving missile upgrades.

Their modifications have failed to get the R-27s to launch from the F-14A, and even Russian IR missiles like the R-73 and R-60, I have never seen an F-14A carrying them.

1 Like

The most modern pictures of iranian F-14’s still has them with AIM-9P and AIM-7E’s. This horse has been beat to death over and over.

2014:

2018:

2020:

2 Likes

Probably, IRIAF F-14As would have same 3d models with F-14A Early we currently have but still has some differences.

• No drop tanks
  • same cockpit models with F-14A Early
  • has AIM-9P-3 that is smokeless sidewinder insterd AIM-9D/G/H?
  • has AIM-7E-4 that is almost identical of AIM-7E-2 DF Sparrows insterd AIM-7F
  • has Fakour 90 that is almost identical of AIM-54A Phoenix
  • has MIM-23 but, not sure how they guide it from AWG-9

However, If Gaijin makes it “IIAF” service model, their F-14A can gets AN/ALR-23 IRSTs which had Initial block of F-14A but removed before deliver to Iran.

Imgur

1 Like

The 3D model for the Early in game is that of a Block 130 configuration (Iran used block 95 airframes), which were early production airframes that were remanufactured to be similar to later block that incorporated changes made over the years that can be seen like;

• The pitot tube not being wing mounted
  • AoA vane moved to nose
  • Airbrake shaping
  • beaver tail DECM mod
  • Shoulder strake count
  • Gun exhaust gas vent redesign
  • and misc. antenna placement & count
  • Fuel tank divider cell locations, shaping and self-sealing qualities
    etc.

There are a lot of small but noticeable differences, the funny thing is that the current 3d model (even if it is missing the AN/AXX-1 TCS blister that it should have if that were the case) dates it to at least 1983 when the remanufacture process started, but gaijin holds the F-14 to the '78 SAC and so is effectively in an impossible configuration. But was likely due to the fact that instead of using historical sources, it was produced by a third party based off the few surviving airframes(which of course are all service airframes so are block 130, since they were otherwise retired due to force reductions then scrapped from mothballed when the revolution occurred to reduce the supply of parts), or photos that post date the various changes.

The AIM-7E-4 is an AIM-7E refitted with the AIM-7F’s Seeker, it saw limited used by the USN F-14 crews as a training aid so live training could occur cheaply(and not need to use the limited supply of AIM-7Fs) since there were lots of older motors that could be remanufactured after the Vietnam war wound down. Since the AIM-7F used a new Boost sustain motor.

Realistically it would sit in an awkward half step between the -7E-2 and -7F in game

2 Likes

Whatever, Iranian F-14As aren’t that spectacular if they come into the game.

Probably it would still be more unique to implement the F-14A late (“bombcat” and AN/ALR-67 upgrade) as a premium and the IRIAF camouflage used by Top Gun as a pre-order camouflage.

It is up to Gaijin anyway.

1 Like

Let’s just not lock perfectly reasonable tech tree vehicles behind money.

If gaijin HQ has any intelligence left they won’t go for the short-term cashout of selling the F-14, it’s popularity gives it a very high demand, so putting it behind a different premium and then making those whales pay for premium time as well is a better strategy anyway.

I can already see the premium 80$ Iranian Tomcat on the Russian tree… And I hate it…

If they do that, then the USA can lay claim to reported serial production Su-27 and MiG-29 rumored to be tested at Groom Lake test facility (also known as Area 51).

1 Like

It’s not exactly a rumor that the US has tested basically every Soviet design since the MiG-15. Giving the Soviet tree an F-14 is absolutely an invitation to go ahead and make it the Soviet tree pt.2

1 Like

Considering there are examples siting in various US museums, its been far more than just tested.

6 Likes

Funnily enough, I think a friend of mine did some work on that exact Su-27