F-14 Tomcat: History, Performance & Discussion

At the Museum, right?

1 Like

Surprisingly no. Before it was in the hands of the museum, it was operated by private red air company I won’t mention by name (for privacy reasons). That’s where he worked on it

It is. The only F-14 that fired(technically a simple ignition after separation) AMRAAM is F-14A-65-GR BuNo. 158625, one of the earliest production aircraft.

2 Likes

Thanks for info.

it is just asking but, has BuNo.158625 been modified to Block 135(late) equivalent which could carry ALR-67?

There are some Block 65 aircraft that refurbished into Block 130 standards, but AFAIK BuNo. 158625 did not.

3 Likes

Honestly, if the F-14D is implemented after the next patch, it may be DOA because of Fox-3 meta :/

Unless Gaijin is kind and gives the F-14D what congress didn’t: AMRAAM

It was built to accept and fire the weapon. The manuals describe the stations it mounts in. I don’t see the problem.

2 Likes

Unless multipathing is changed I don’t think it would be DOA until the next set of IR missiles are added. Plus it has Phoenix C, the missile just needs to be fixed a little bit further.

1 Like

What about AIM-54C+ or something?

IIRC, F-14D could carry their own Phoenixes.

Y-yeah? The F-14 was designed to use the Phoenix?

2 Likes

I mean heard from somewhere that there was a variant that was better than the AIM-54C.

There was the AIM-54 ECCM, but it’s not specific to the F-14D

Main feature is improved resistance to electronic warfare countermeasures

3 Likes

Technically the SAC doesn’t always have the most accurate data. It may just be a vestige of the days when there were plans to arm F-14s with AMRAAM.

AMRAAM did considered for integration on F-14 via pre-deployment update, but the program was terminated around 1996 because of cost issue. While the Tomcat could simply carry AMRAAM, it was impossible to use it properly.

This. If AIM-54C is improved, it should be quite competitive in the Fox-3 meta.

There is one called AIM-54C ECCM/Sealed, or simply AIM-54C Plus. It features enhanced ECCM capability.

2 Likes

@Acroute

Ah, I’m slightly disappointed to hear that, but if it’s the truth then it is what it is.

How do you think a “fully buffed” AIM-54C would compare to the AMRAAM we’re getting?

It might F-14D(R) Tomcat. But I believe 2x AIM-9M stock and new IR AAM AIM-9M-8

While the Phoenix will still lose out on maneuverability, it will be able to deliver an one-sided attack from a distance where AMRAAM cannot reach.

There’s a lot of confusion surrounding the final AIM-54 variants, since they were actively in development until the F-14 program was abruptly canceled.

My understanding is as follows:

AIM-54C: The one in game, has dramatically improved electronics and processing, as well as reduced smoke motor

AIM-54C ECCM/Sealed: AIM-54C with again dramatically improved signal processing, also has internal heaters which remove the need for umbilical connection to the F-14 (Hence ECCM/Sealed)

AIM-54C+: an additional package for the 54C ECCM/Sealed, AIM-120 adapted seeker. This was supposedly installed on several AIM-54C ECCM/Sealed missiles shortly before the funding was canceled.

https://www.navair.navy.mil/node/12701

2 Likes

Makes sense.

Do you know if these buffs will release alongside the major update?

I’m thinking of things like smokeless motor (reduced smoke), maneuverability, etc.

1 Like

So if my above was right, the absolute best AIM-54 should in-game have an MPRF seeker like the AIM-120, but there’s zero information about these munitions so its extremely hard to imagine gaijin adding them to the game.

We’ll likely have to wait for the Iranian government to collapse before they’ll ever consider declassifying any of the F-14 files, especially for these upgraded weapons.

1 Like

TBH, I would like to see more F14 variants in the game.

F-14A Early… give AIM-9Ls and move up to 12.0
F-14A Late… maybe 12.3 if it gets fully upgraded AIM-54C and AIM-9Ls?
F-14A+/B…same loadouts with F-14A late?
F-14B(U)…maybe 12.7 if it gets AIM-9Ms ans AIM-54C with fully upgrade
F-14D… maybe 13.0 (same BR with F-15C and Su-27SM because of radar?)