Eurofighter Typhoon - Germany's Best Fighter Jet

Russia has R-37M? lol that is more than equal to the Meteor… it’s better…
There is also the R-77T and R-77-1 variant with ramjet they could add even if they haven’t seen service.

1 Like

China and Russia have 5th gens? I thought they had photocopies of 5th gens that may or may not be that much better than most 4th gens

Is R-37M a throttleable ramjet? If not, dual and pulse missiles cannot provide what missiles like the Meteor can. The Meteor is advertised to have the computer of the missile working with the motor unlike those missiles. It’ll monitor what the target is doing based on datalink, and even after acquiring the target with its own seeker, and determine whether to increase the thrust while shortening the burn-time. The same flexibility and endgame maneuverability isn’t provided by those other missiles. If needed, if the target is close, it’ll increase the thrust to quickly close the distance knowing that it doesn’t need the extra burn-time.

AFAIK, Chinese and Russian missiles simply just expends all of their fuel and provides thrust at one time.

1 Like

There’s no way around the benefit of their J-20 and Su-57 that can internally carry their missiles. In WT, that would be a huge advantage as their stores wouldn’t be visible to radar. The big disadvantage is that they can’t spam missiles like Eurofighter can.

I doubt we’ll ever see the F-22, F-35, J-20 or Su-57 as balancing them will be nearly impossible. Though whilst I dont know much about the J-20. I have heard the Su-57 “stealth” abilities are contested and with so few built, there is little way of knowing. Though I think there is some evidence that it only works in front aspect, and its so hot that IRST can quite easily detect it.

The R-37M doesn’t need such advanced control over the motor, it simply has a sufficiently large warhead and seeker to track target from further and ensure high probability of kill based on massive speed and maneuverability.

People often point to exposed fasteners on an PAK FA T-50 prototype (which saw a complete redesign before serial Su-57s came into service)… saying it can’t be “stealth” as if the stealthiest fighters in the world don’t already have similar issues. Truth is, X-band radars will not pick up these fasteners at all because of the radar wavelength.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/955829235493273680/1132504958147776563/24.jpg?width=1336&height=889
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/955829235493273680/1132504958462328862/21.jpg?width=1336&height=889

1 Like

I’ll be using insufficient sources such as Wikipedia, so correct me if you have better ones. As far as warhead goes, its stated that the R-37M has a warhead weight of 60kg. And Gaijin recently stated that in lieu of actual data, most missiles will have explosive mass roughly half of that of the warhead. That would be 30kg which is half of what the current AIM-54 Phoenix has and on par with R-27.

And there’s no way to cut it, if a target is constantly maneuvering at long range, dragging the missile and bleeding it of speed after it burns its fuel in a set amount of time, the R-37M is not going to be as maneuverable as when it was burning.

The Meteor, in reaction to a fighter jet maneuvering and attempting to bleed it of speed can reduce its thrust to cruise and slowly catch up rather than play into tactics that trashes missiles with conventional motors and still remain maneuverable.

1 Like

I only gave it a quick google, but by all accounts the R-37M was meant for taking down large aircraft like AWACS and not necessarily more nimble fighters. From whats been reported in Ukraine, the Ukrainian pilots have no issue evading these missiles.

Guys, this thread is NOT about missile.
if you want to talk about missile comparison, go and make a new thread.

German EF Typhoon with Brimstone

EF Brimstone 1

8 Likes

In regards to the Meteor, fired from similar ranges as the R-37M a maneuvering target will do little to burn it of energy outside of diving and making it more maneuverable in thicker air… also making the enemy fighter more maneuverable but he only has so much energy for maneuver…

Modern guidance systems increase likeness that the missile will hit the target due to evasive maneuvers. I think we have readily reached a point where a missile launch within range of target is a guaranteed kill outside of active protection measures such as decoys, jammers, EW, anti-missile missile systems etc.

@MBDA_Meteor The discussion of the primary weapon system of the Eurofighter Typhoon and the armaments it will face as opposition is highly relevant to the thread.

@Morvran The only reports I am reading say that up to six are fired a day, and that they are particularly hard to evade. According to Forbes the missile forces them to entirely abandon their missions and take all measures of evasive action in order to avoid the missile. Aided by SAM’s, air defense networking the Ukrainian pilots can escape the NEZ by running away on the deck. It’s rumored either an S-400 or an R-37M had killed a Ukrainian Su-27 from excess of 200km.

I think like the R-37M, the Meteor is a standoff weapon. Increasing chance of kill within the NEZ means nothing if targets know to evade before entering such a zone. Advanced ground radars especially those with L band arrays would be able to ascertain even stealth fighters in a region. It is reasonable to assume that you can determine your fighters “safe areas” based on the NEZ perimeter of potential adversary stealth fighters. Long range IRST tracking and such can also provide better tracking of ramjet powered targets than they can a missile that got to a high speed and altitude and then coasted to target. Hypersonics like the R-37M with thermal reduction techniques in the future could bypass infrared based missile defense systems as well as radar based systems in the future.

All that leads me to the point that the Meteor may solely be used as a deterrent rather than a highly successful hard kill weapon system against enemy fighters, just like the R-37M. It may in the future also feature improved dual guidance seekers (IR + EM) or similar. Improvements in longer waveband ground radars may allow fighters such as the Eurofighter to identify stealth targets in IRST at ranges sufficient to launch a Meteor with combined guidance.

No, missile comparison arguement should be in thier own thread.
your recent wrightings are similar to comparison about missile, not about discussion of the primary weapon system of the Eurofighter Typhoon and the armaments it will face as opposition.

I have a Meteor heading in this thread:

1 Like

According to Skunk Works by Ben Rich just a few screws coming loose so the head protruded very slightly out of the panel was enough to severely degrade the F-117’s stealth during testing.

8 Likes

thats great that we now got confirmation for those, and should mean as well they will use them on all eurofighters since they are compatible right? only using them on the newest wouldnt make sence if the older ones can as well

3 Likes

was thinking about doing that on the old forum, cba to do new stuff on here anymore and there is like 0 information anyways

technically it is not a Lw Eurofighter as its owned by NETMA. 98+XX are the prototypes and instrumented production aircraft meant for, well, prototyping, testing and integration of weapons. you can see that the 98+07 also has a PIRATE IRST. its also the only jet to have ever flown with the AMK.
would be great if we got it because it’d probably the single best Eurofighter based on flight performance and weapons integration but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Interestingly, P4E typhoon appears to be equipping AMK and potentially TVC, so that could be an option for future vehicles, given the U.K. has confirmed it will be getting 40 P4E typhoons.

its “under negotiation” according to eurofighter.com

1 Like