[Development] T1E1 (90 mm): Up the Ante!

Today, we’ll be taking a look at the T1E1 (90 mm), a vehicle that derived from fitting the T1E1 with a more powerful 90 mm cannon. Although this upgrade didn’t ultimately change the outcome of the development program, this unique up-gunned variant of the T1E1 will soon arrive to the American ground forces tree as part of the next major War Thunder update!

T1E1 (90 mm): A Heavy Tank for the USA at Rank III

At a glance:

• Powerful 90 mm T7 cannon, albeit with a longer reload than the 76 mm.
  • More varied ammo selection: M77, M71 (default), M82, M313 (unlocked through modifications).
  • Decent survivability, however not outstanding.
  • Average mobility with the same forward and backwards speed.
  • No stabilizer compared to the T1E1.
Vehicle History

By 1943, the focus of the Armored Corps changed. The resulting shift toward the increased production of medium tanks, such as the M4 Sherman, resulted in the effective cancellation of the M6 heavy tank project. By 1943, only a few dozen units were left on order with the few built prototypes undergoing testing at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. During testing, engineers anticipated that the standard 76 mm cannon would be deemed insufficient. Therefore, a prototype of the T1E1 was rapidly modified to field the T7 90 mm cannon. Although the performance of this armament was noted as superior over the standard 76 mm cannon, it ultimately made no difference to the tank program’s already sealed fate. In the end, only 40 production units of the M6 heavy tank were manufactured, none of which ended up being equipped with the larger cannon.

Meet the T1E1 (90 mm)!

The T1E1 (90 mm) is a special modification of the T1E1 heavy tank that you already might be familiar with. Representing a direct upgrade over the standard modification of the T1E1, the up-gunned version of this experimental American heavy tank chiefly provides better firepower, making it a battlefield behemoth. Let’s take a closer look!

If you’ve already gathered experience with the M6A1 and T1E1 heavy tanks in the game, you’ll find many similarities with this further development of early American heavy tank design. Inheriting many of the basic T1E1’s specifications, the T1E1 (90 mm) features the same chassis, suspension, armor layout and engine as its direct predecessor. As such, this vehicle is going to offer you a familiar blend of workable survivability and reasonable mobility, although coming at the cost of a comparably high silhouette, making it easier to spot and hit during engagements as a result.

Download Wallpaper:

The most important difference however is found with the T1E1’s main armament. Despite it not appearing as such at first glance when compared to its close relatives, the T1E1 features a larger 90 mm T7 cannon. Representing the experimental version of the M3 cannon which would later find its way onto famous U.S. tanks, such as the M36 or M26 Pershing, the T7 features similar ballistic properties as its later production counterpart and can thus boast good penetrating capabilities as well as a wide range of ammunition options, including APCBC.

Overall, the larger caliber cannon will especially come in handy for dealing with more heavily protected opponents at longer ranges. This will further increase the T1E1’s lethality and allow it to take part in long-range combat even more effectively.

The T1E1 (90 mm) is arriving to the American ground forces tree as the last member of this heavy tank family with the next major War Thunder update. In the meantime, stay tuned to the news as we’ll continue to share more details about the upcoming update. Until then, happy hunting tankers!

Please note that this vehicle’s characteristics may be changed before it is added to the game.

wd
28 Likes

Yippee, another low BR vehicle for my firefly to club :D

6 Likes

It will probably be DOA unless it gets put at 6.0 or lower.

That being said I am very much looking forward to playing it, the normal T1E1 is a blast to play.

5 Likes

As much as I want the T1E1 (90) in the game, could you at least bother to give different armor specs to the M6 tanks?

Specially since in this particular variant, keeping the same armor specs is outright ahistorical. Either you model it after the 1st prototype (windows replace the armor on the driver and co-driver ports), or you model it after the only other known T1E1 (90) which used late war armor specifications which were far thicker (was seen in a parade in June 9th, 1944, in New York, together with a Tiger tank).

23 Likes

i bet you’ll need at least 46 official signed documents to have them change the armor of it

8 Likes

Begun, the Devblogs have

1 Like

Rank III, so very likely 5.7-ish

Why isn’t it t1e1 with additional armor?
40206c3764c77208e0c274d7bb3cd68ccbaadbcd

1 Like

babe wake up, DEVBLOG SEASON IS HERE

2 Likes

will it get heat rounds?

Your photo is t1e1 with less armour

Will you finally fix the 76mm variant ammo storage at least?
It isn’t modelled correctly since it’s release.

Ammo racks for 76mm gun show significantly more ammunition than the actual amount loaded for battle.
Ammo racks for 37mm gun are shown as empty in Xray view regardless of the amount loaded for battle.

I have bug report for it here for ages now
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/qR3JG49qyLFx

2 Likes

Isn’t there 127mm?

No. It is 76mm armor variant.

AMERICAN TIGER AMERICAN TIGER
Tech Tree? Premium? Event?

No APCR? Going to be fun to fight Tiger II Hs without the ability to pen them.

Tech tree

2 Likes

He’s talking about the captured Tiger that is mentioned in the article

The T1E1 in-game already weighs the same as the uparmored version, but without the actual armor…

From Sirchby’s original suggestion, I trust him because of the primary documentation he provided, and he always used sources for anything he claimed, he seems trustworthy:

T1E1 weighted at 62 tons, which is 56.25 tonnes, at Aberdeen proving grounds:
Altough it doesn’t have the frontal armor or guns and mantlet, I don’t see how installing all of that would add 4.15 tonnes to the weight…especially since 56.25 tonnes already matches the M6A1 weight nearly perfectly (56.8 tonnes).

Don’t even get me started on the engine power, neither the T1E1 or M6A1 have the 960 HP they should have, at least one of these three tanks should have the full power and not the detuned version which was also brought back up near the end of WW2…

9 Likes
  • More varied ammo selection: M77, M71 (default), M82, M313 (unlocked through modifications).