Dassault Rafale - Variants, Characteristics, Armament and Performance - Part 2

It’s still a PESA which outputs less power than AESAs do by quite a margin iirc.

this isnt really true, maybe for early Russian/French PESA compared to AESA, but with a newer hybrid PESA design like Irbis E they can get very high peak powers, 20kW which is comparable to F-22 radar

Compared to pure AESAs of the same size?

yes, Irbis-E is very close in size to the APG-77 with similar peak power

1 Like

I see, that’s interesting then.

I looked around in case a technical moderator said the same thing as you did. Seems you’re right, but it’s both. This is from the RBE2 PESA which does not have GMTI and just air to surface/sea.

Spoiler

image

2 Likes

Which is not something sustainable…

Are you sure? Google says DMT stands for “Détection de Mobiles Terrestres”, which translates to “Ground-Based Mobile Target Detection”, which sounds an awful lot like GMTI.

Is it possible that source is talking about a modern AESA version?

1 Like

Which is even more weird if the source talking about PESA version considering AESA models doesnt have GMTI until F4 model.

Nope, source is way before the AESA in 1996.

I could be wrong but AI says the translation is more like detection of mobile ground targets (I.e. ground vehicles) rather than gmti.

Hmm, that’s a good few years before the radar was finished/ Rafale entered service then. Could GMTI have been a planned feature for the radar, which got dropped due to cost or technical difficulties?

That’s what GMTI is, Ground Moving Target Indication. It is a radar mode which separates ground targets from ground clutter using their Doppler signature (hence the target needing to be moving - else it’s Doppler signature would be the same as that of the ground clutter).

If a radar has a mode that is for detecting moving ground targets that mode is almost certainly using GMTI to separate them from ground clutter.

I learned the hard way that mobile isn’t an actually moving vehicle but rather a vehicle capable of mobility.

It also only talks about detecting “mobile targets”, nothing indicates they were detecting or tracking them while in transit as far as I can tell.

Practically the only way you can distinguish between stationary vehicles and ground clutter is the use of mmW radars. Lower frequencies just don’t afford enough resolution.

So, if you are detecting vehicles, they got to be moving. (Because you are not detecting “vehicles” but rather “movement”)

You could track stationary vehicles or ground features, but you would have to first find the vehicle using other means, such as GMTI or TPOD.

When it comes to ships at sea it’s a bit different, as ships generally have large radar signatures and one that is relatively distinct from water surface. So detecting stationary ships is possible with a sufficiently advanced fighter radar.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qnXS7XNJXlY

Rafale seems near unusable in BVR after the MICA buff? My missile just starts tumbling stupid after 15 km. I can’t seem to get kills past melee range, was this intended? This aircraft is definitely not for air realistic meta now.

1 Like

It’s not intentional, it’s a bug that affects several missiles at top tier if not all of them.

6 Likes

Horrific. I can’t make one solid hit with the MICA past 10 km now, before the update I could maybe squeeze out 20 km shots frontal/side aspect shots if I used 10km alt and mach 1.6+ speed to my advantage, but now they’re sausages out a smoothbore cannon.

Thought i was going crazy lol, i’d start defending… check in on my amraam’s and 4/6 of them are at 600km/h doing a wierd wiggle dance

me when i increase the AoA substantially but dont adjust the autopilot accordingly (or something like that)

Hopefully a fix that doesn’t lead to another PL-12 fiasco…