Curtiss Tomahawk MK.IIB

[poll type=regular results=always chartType=bar]

Do You want this aircraft in the game:
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

10.jpg
Description: Here is one of the two P40 captured by Italy in the Second World War during the North African Front. But let’s talk about the history of this plane. The XP 40 project started in 1937 with the objective of making a new fighter by putting the Allison V-1710 engine (12-cylinder V, liquid-cooled) on the already existing P36 to increase its performance. In 1938, the first ten converted P36As took off. From these tests, it was determined that this aircraft had better performance than the Hawker Hurricane, but it was worse compared to the BF109E, the Spitfire MK1, and the Macchi MC202. In 1939, the USAAF put a contract with Curtiss for $12,872,898 for a total of 524 P40, and from the summer to the September of the next year, 200 will be ready. The aircraft was also exported to the largest number of Allied countries, especially the UK with MK I and MK II variants, the Soviet Union, and China. But the aircraft became famous when it arrived in China in a total of 100 units. After the Flying Tigers group received them, they were able to take down a total of 286 Japanese aircraft with only 23 losses. It was made in a lot of different variants, and it was used for all of the war, with a total of 13740 units made from 1940 to 1944. The aircraft were also captured by the Axis; the most famous operator was Japan, which used them against the USA and China. But today we are here to talk about one of the most unknown operators of this aircraft, Italy. Back in 1942, after the withdrawal of the British army after the defeat in the Tobruck battle against the Italian-German forces, the 4 Squadron abandoned at the El Daba airfield some of its equipment, including a damaged P40B signed with the serial number AN 400. It was captured by the Italian forces and fixed. It also featured the Italian Savoy crux on the tail and the white band on the fusulage. Unfortunately, fate is unknown.

Why it should be in the game: it will be a very good choice for a premium/event veichle that will has good performance and flight carapteristics

Specifications

Spoiler

Manufacturer: Curtiss-Wright Corp.
Type: Fighter
Year: 1941
Engine: Allison V-1710-33, 12-cylinder V, liquid-cooled, 1,040 hp
Wingspan: 37ft 4in (11.38m)
Length: 31 ft 9 in (9.68 m)
Height: 10 ft 7 in (3.23 m)
Weight: 7,600 lb (3,450 kg) (Loaded)
Maximum Speed: 352 mph (566 km/h) at 15,000 ft (4,572 m)
Ceiling: 32,400 ft (9,875 m)
Range: 940 miles (1,500 km)
Armament: 2x 12.7 mm machineguns, 4x 7.7 mm machinguns
Crew: 1

Sources:

Spoiler

STORMO! Airfix 1/72 Curtiss P-40C (Tomahawk IIB) by Raul Wright

Aerei della Regia Aeronautica nella seconda guerra mondiale - Wikipedia

Michele Raus - Modellismo in scala: Curtiss P-40 MkIIB

Modellismo Più

Books:

Ali Straniere

Prede Di Guerra

STORMO! Ali Straniere in Italia - Foreign Aircraft in use by the Regia Aeronautica

Pictures

Spoiler

9_550.jpg

Pictures of another P40, this one is an F in the American service. It was captured after trying to land in Tunisia. But this one was not fixed like the precedent one

6.jpg

8.jpg

Michele Raus - Modellismo in scala: Curtiss P-40 MkIIB

2 Likes

Wouldn’t mind the US getting more P-40 variants love that plane

Well that Is not for the USA, that Is for Italy (Also the USA could get this One if Is not in game alredy)

+1 great plane i would love it for italy

1 Like

+1 would be a great vehicle to add to the Italian tree as an event or premium.

somethings to note though is that the Specs list the armament as being 4 x 12.7mm guns when the Tomahawk Mk.IIbs had 2 x 12.7mm guns and 4 x 7.7mm guns instead

2 Likes

Some had just 4 .50 cals in the wings. I can’t remember what variant though, but I think it’s this one

nope, the Mk.I, Mk.IIA and Mk.IIB variants in british service carried 2 x 12.7mm (.50 cal) in the nose and 4 x 7.7mm (.303 cal) in the Wings

the only british variant with 4 x 12.7s was the Kittyhawk Mk.I based off the later H-87 model like the P-40D onwards, the Mk.IIB was based off the H-81 like the earlier P-40C

Ahh ok

1 Like

corrected

1 Like