Country-specific nuclear bombers

• Yes!
  • No!
0 voters

This suggestion is mainly focused on giving every nation a more “unique” feel whenever a player earns a nuclear bomb, which would make this event feel even more special, when compared to the current “standardised” nuclear delivery-platforms.

I understand that not every nation had / has historical access to an airplane which was able to carry a nuclear bomb, which is why I would like to slightly delve into “what-if” territory, at least with the matter of the availability of nuclear weapons to certain nations. I am justifying this decision, with the argument, that it is less immersive to play Japan and unlocking a nuclear capable B-29, than it would be to unlock a Japanese plane with a nuclear bomb, at least in my opinion.

I tried to keep the list on the more realistic “what-if” side, so no domestic German or Japanese nuclear bombers and bombs; instead, I am looking at it from a cold-war gone hot perspective, with the potential for certain nations to receive nuclear weapons from the US, rather than going the WW2 alternative history route, since there was no chance any of the axis powers would have managed to develop an operational nuclear weapon during the second world-war. I think it is more likely that those nations would have received nuclear weapons from primarily the US, in an imaginary emergency nuclear-sharing program, if WW3 would have started.

Additionally, I have tried to give every nation planes with comparable performance, however some hold a more significant advantage over others, because of my semi-realism approach. Most nations simply didn’t operate any slow strategic bombers after the war.

Currently, the nuclear bombers ingame are:

B-29 & Tu-4 (BR 6.7 - 7.7)

Canberra B.6 & IL-28 (BR 8.0 - 9.0)

Jaguar A & Su-7BLK (BR 9.3+)

What I envision are already existing vehicles in the game, equipped with the most historically accurate nuclear weapons possible, here is the list with which I want to illustrate what I mean:

Explanation of bracketed text:

- Historical: The plane and bomb were available to that nation and the plane was able to carry said bomb.

- Nuclear sharing program: Same as historical, with the added detail that the bombs were not domestically made, but supplied from a host-country.

- Bomb was never mounted on this airplane: Both the plane and bomb were available to that country, however the bomb was never mounted on that specific plane.

- Bomb was never used in XYZ service / What-if nuclear sharing program: The nation never had this bomb available to it, but had planes capable of mounting said bomb, with the extrapolation, that in the event of a war, a host country could have provided a viable nuclear bomb to be mounted on that country’s airplanes.

- Unknown if mounted on the plane: Said nation has access to nuclear bombs and bombers, but information is lacking if both were combined in the stated configuration.

- What-if XYZ nuclear program: The stated country had at one point planned a nuclear weapons program, which was cancelled, but a “what-if” scenario would see them develop nuclear bombs that would be mounted on existing planes in that country’s inventory.

Now, with that out of the way, here is the list:

USA:

B-29 w/ Mark 6 bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (historical)

B-57B w/ Mark 7 bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (historical)

F-4E w/ B61 bomb (BR 9.3+) (historical)

Germany:

F-84F w/ Mark 7 bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (bomb was never used in German service / what-if nuclear sharing program)

F-104G w/ B61 bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (nuclear sharing program)

Tornado IDS w/ B61 bomb (BR 9.3+) (nuclear sharing program)

USSR:

Tu-4 w/ RDS-4 (historical)

IL-28 w/ RDS-4 (historical)

Su-7BLK w/ RDS-4 (historical)

UK:

Washington B.1 w/ Yellow Sun Mk.1 bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (bomb was never mounted on this airplane)

Canberra B.6 w/ Mark 7 bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (nuclear sharing program)

Tornado Gr.1 w/ WE.177 bomb (BR 9.3+) (historical)

Japan:

F-86F-40 w/ B61 bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (bomb was never used in Japanese service / what-if nuclear sharing program)

F-104G w/ B61 bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (bomb was never used in Japanese service / what-if nuclear sharing program)

F-4EJ w/ B61 bomb (BR 9.3+) (bomb was never used in Japanese service / what-if nuclear sharing program)

China:

Tu-4 w/ CHIC bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (unknown if mounted on the plane)

H-5 w/ CHIC bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (unknown if mounted on the plane)

Q-5 w/ CHIC bomb (BR 9.3+) (unknown if mounted on the plane)

Italy:

F-84F w/ Mark 7 bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (bomb was never used in Italian service / what-if nuclear sharing program)

F-104G w/ B61 bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (nuclear sharing program)

Tornado IDS w/ B61 bomb (BR 9.3+) (nuclear sharing program)

France:

S.O. Vautour 4050 w/ AN-11 bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (historical)

Jaguar A w/ AN-52 bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (historical)

Mirage 2000 w/ AN-52 bomb (BR 9.3+) (historical)

Sweden:

J34 w/ fantasy “KVB1” bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (what-if Swedish nuclear program)

A32A w/ fantasy “KVB1” bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (what-if Swedish nuclear program)

AJ37 w/ fantasy “KVB1” bomb (BR 9.3+) (what-if Swedish nuclear program)

Israel:

Vautour IIA w/ unknown bomb (BR 6.7 - 7.7) (unknown if mounted on the plane)

A-4N w/ unknown bomb (BR 8.0 - 9.0) (unknown if mounted on the plane)

F-16A Netz unknown bomb (BR 9.3+) (unknown if mounted on the plane)

Conclusion:

I believe with a system like this, or similar to this, nuclear bombers would become an even more unique mechanic in the game, with every nation receiving plane-types that they operated, with nuclear weapons of varying degree of realism. This way, at least the planes would fit each nation, which they currently don’t do, even if the bombs themselves remain unrealistic for some, the end-result would be more realistic and interesting, at least in my opinion.

Thanks for reading, if you have any ideas on how to improve this idea, or have something else to say, please feel free to write a comment.

Cheers! :salute:

13 Likes

Kikka for 6.7 - 7.7.
F-86F-40 for 8.0 - 9.0.
F-104J for 9.3+.

Alternatively, a player could choose to use one of their own aircraft if it is nuclear capable to carry the bomb to the battlefield if they have researched the modification for the nuclear bomb for each br bracket.

9 Likes

I would change the Israeli aircraft options to the following:

• Vautour IIA (6.7-7.7)
  • Nesher (8.0-9.0)
  • Kurnass (9.3+)

Other than that this is a very nice idea for nation gameplay diversity and I support it. +1

5 Likes

Vautour seems a bit overkill for 6.7-7.7 but since there’s no other option I guess it works

I mean, the only other “reasonable” option (if you can even call it that) is a B-17 so…

1 Like

can we get iaf to buy a b29 so gaijin can add it

1 Like

For Taiwan:

F-84G w/ Mk. 7 nuclear bomb or F-86F w/ Mk.12 nuclear bomb
F-100A w/ nuclear bomb or AGM-12D nuclear bullpup
F-104G w/ nuclear bomb or in the future F-CK-1 w/ nuclear bomb

There were nuclear weapons on Taiwan in Tainan airbase until 1972.
The F-CK-1 was made with nuclear bomb delivery in mind but the bomb project was exposed and abandoned.

1 Like

Israel gets an F-16 at 9.3?

1 Like

Give me my 8.3-8.7 Vulcan Bomber gods damn it.

EDIT: On a separate note, its odd you skipped the Buccaneer S.2 on that tree path for the UK as a Nuclear strike platform for the 9.0 range leaving the Tornado for the 10+ range. As the Buccaneer was explicitly designed as a Naval launch nuclear capable aircraft and served in this nominal capacity with the Navy. It carried the Red Beard nuclear bomb along with the Scimitar (in game, which was rapidly superseded by the Buccaneer) and Sea Vixen (Premium, another very shot lived aircraft from the 50s)

1 Like

the recommendations are very bad because you see the tornado has many flares meanwhile the su-7 is barely supersonic with no flares

+1

As for China, there is a Specific Q-5 variant that is designed to be a designated Nuclear Strike aircraft, the Q-5Jia, one of which is currently on display in Beijing

Q-5A_02

1 Like

Add Super Etendard too
With AN-52 bomb (like Jaguar)

4 Likes

Vautour could work

Did Hitler not call atomic science for jewish science. I have doubts about the validity of the article and the image or the subtext for it

In fact most of the french planes can carry nuclear weapon

The french tech tree is only missing 2 planes that can carry the nuclear bombs (Mirage 2000N and Mirage IV).

The Mirage IV could be a good plane to carry the bomb in the game in every Br (higher than 9.0) cause it was used for a very long time and was an incredible plane.

4 Likes

I’m sorry… WHAT

Wow.

there was also a project in the late1950 to create a nuclear rocket for anti air purpose called the AIR-2 Genie and mounted on the F-89, F-101 and F-106.

yeah I know about the Genie, I just never heard about the nuclear Bullpup

1 Like