Concept-1 NGAC

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Spoiler

Introduction
The Eland was used extensively by the South African army and was successful in a range of roles. However the Eland had limited mobility, poor ballistic protection and no mine protection for its crew. During the mid-1970’s the South African army initiated a project to develop a heavy armoured car, which would be better suited for the Southern Africa conditions, be able to provide better mine/ballistic protection for its crew and increased the fire power. The project would be known as the New Generation Armoured Car (NGAC) project. The project experimented with both 6x6 and 8x8 wheeled configurations for the armoured car, with 8x8 configurations eventually being selected. After the 8x8 configuration was selected three prototypes where created, being the Concept 1, Concept 2 and Concept 3, which is already available in War Thunder. Trials for these vehicles were held in 1979, but none of the prototypes met the requirements. Lessons learned from the NGAC project would be used in a new armoured car project during the 1980’s which itself lead to the development of the Rooikat. All three Concepts are currently on display at the South African Armour Museum in Bloemfontein. This forum post will focus on the Concept 1 New Generation Armoured Car.

Spoiler

Specifications

Main armament: 77mm Mk2

Shell types: AP, HE, APC, APCBC

Secondary armament: One 7.62mm MG4 machine gun

Turret armour: (front: 25.4mm), (sides: 12.7mm), (rear: 12.7mm), (roof: 12.7mm)

Crew: 4 (commander, gunner, loader, driver)

Combat weight: 19 tons

Engine: S12-DA Bussing 6-cylinder diesel
Horsepower: 308hp

Top speed: 105km/h

Transmission: Renk HSV-106 (6 forward, 1 reverse)

All-wheel drive: 8x8

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Primary Sources
Surviving The Ride, written by Steve Camp & Helmoed Romer Heitman (Page 181-182)

South African Armoured Vehicles “A history of innovation and excellence” written by Dr Dewald Venter (Page 72-73)

Secondary Source
Tank Encyclopedia: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/south_africa/rooikat.php

4 Likes

What are the differences between this and Concept 3? Out of curiosity.

The main giveaway is the engine deck. It also looks overall larger (to me).

I mean in terms of performance.

Oh well it would probably be functionally the same in game.

higher forward speed, slower reverse speed. more weight and more powerful engine which make it break obstacles and move wreckage more easily. it will also make the climbing up-hill slower

the overall mobility would be a lot worse than the Concept 3 ingame even if the top speed is better.