Coat of arms of the 283ª Squadriglia Aerosiluranti and motto.

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

283ª Squadriglia Aerosiluranti

main

History of the Squadron

In 1941 the Regia Aeronautica decided to re-establish the 283rd Squadron, created during the Great War and disbanded at the end of the conflict. The squadron used S.M.79 Sparviero torpedo bombers and carried out various torpedo missions against English shipping traveling in the Mediterranean. The planes of the 283rd also participated in the battle of mid-June, the battle of mid-August and the Second Battle of Sirte. Among the squadron’s most famous actions were the torpedoing of the light cruiser HMS Manchester and the attack on the Pedestal convoy.

The Coats of Arms and the Motto

The squadron’s coat of arms consisted of a pirate with a hook in his left hand riding a torpedo and holding a spiked club in his left hand. Behind this image stands a typical pirate flag.
The squadron’s motto was “Cum Tangem Frangem”, which translated from Latin means “Where I touch I break”.

Pictures:

Spoiler

Sources:

Spoiler

283ª Squadriglia - Wikipedia
Osprey Combat Aircraft 106 - Savoia-Marchetti S.79 Sparviero Torpedo-Bomber Units [PDF] | Online Book Share
List of shipwrecks in October 1941 - Wikipedia
Capitano Giuseppe Cimicchi, Asso degli aerosiluranti della Regia – ITALIANI IN GUERRA

3 Likes

+1 I miss the monthly authentic decals

2 Likes

+1 this is so cool

2 Likes