China Norinco VT series MBTs, History, Performance & Discussion

Its interesting because it seems that a similar type of armor is used with the MBT-3000, where instead of using the topical Chinese armour style of a thick base composite block with ERA then stacked on top, they opted too give the VT-4/MBT-3000 extra composite armor on the front of the turret, even tho almost all tanks in service with china use both composite and ERA.

Speaking of the VT-4/MBT-3000 I can’t find any source that gives an accurate or reliable estimate for the composite armor values. We have good sources for the protection offered by the MBT-2000, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Norinco upgraded the composite material of the tank when they made the VT-4, but I just can’t find a source that confirms this, atleast not in the English side of the Internet

1 Like

Is this the VT5 purchased in Bangladesh? The VT and VN series in China can be optionally installed according to customer needs. If you are willing to pay, you can even purchase vehicles with VT chassis VN turrets, including side and front ERAs, composite armor, weapon stations, engine packs, ammunition, and fire control systems!

Spoiler

F3C5366E80F4632B3B8438863F5C0C46
BA54C04C3533ADEB89E659109142BB6D
9C5F3CE5F5721541FB74AF0BD15F54DE
DD3EF530D2673F9B0EF3301E391D82B5
327FD4EF51CA972F1D8280F129B2E125
2BF2EC0CA1865ECD3DC34B3E52460CEA

4 Likes

Yeah almost all chinese tanks can use ERA.Probably due to weight we didn’t buy ERAs for it.They are going to be deployed at a hilly region.
Also our VT-5s lack RCWS.We use manually controlled HMG for it.

You can try finding some information on Pakistani defence forums.They usually have lots of information about chinese tanks.

Yes.

As far as I know, the VT5 purchased in Bangladesh is a low-end version that has undergone a lot of castration, and of course, its price is also quite cheap.

1 Like

yes

ZTQ-15 export versions have add on armor kit and extra options like aps (actieve protection system) on the VT-5 tank.

1 Like

China is not stupid to export high grade and sensitieve hardware to countries that have good relationship with America. China downgrade export weapons like tanks, jets, helicopters, ship, subs so they are usefull but not against China.

VT5 is not an export version of ZTQ-15, their relationship is a competitive one. However, the prototype of VT5 failed in the bidding process for ZTQ-15, Prototype car of ZTQ-15 which was adopted by PLAA, while the VT5 prototype shifted to foreign trade

Yes, during the joint military exercise between Türkiye and Myanmar, the UAV exported by China will automatically return to the take-off place when it is close to the Chinese border.

1 Like

MBT-2000 weighs 49 tons.Source:

Spoiler

1 Like

I whish we had the Bangladesh Skin in game, it seems too be one of the best in The MBT-2000

2 Likes

With any luck we might see the VT-4 in the December update, as we know it was being worked on in the files.
I feel like the only way too make the VT-4 a really meaningful addition at this point tho would be too make it one of the most modern versions, with FY-4 ERA, APS system, and the improved engine. That would it would actually be able too compete with other 11.7 MBT’s.

Also still not clear too me if the Hull composite armor was upgraded in any way…

1 Like

You can use skins from live.warthunder for now.Hopefully gaijin will add them in the future.China could get a Bangladesh+Pakistan subtree in the future.

3 Likes

I would love too see the T-80UD for Pakistan with the Ukrainian transmission

2 Likes

Yeah then it would be the only soviet mbt with proper reverse gear in game

1 Like

Well, until gajjin adds the T-80BVM 2023 which is already in the files

1 Like

VT5 still has composite armor module on its turret while ZTQ15 actually does not, so generally VT-5 is better protected in fact.

I’m just curious what the actual protection values are for the VT-5 and type 15, or atleast the best guesses for them

It is generally believed that VT5 is mainly used to counter the D-10TS main gun (3BM8) of the T54M in Vietnam

1 Like