Chaparral’s targeting system

Just curious, with the Chaparral’s targeting system, I can lock on to a jet or helicopter at 2.5 miles away, but not a heli less than a half mile away? Trying to spade this vehicle alone is already a headache, so. lol

2 Likes

It uses passive infrared tracking and helicopters are just not warm enough.
I recommend only to use it in matches with planes.

Just makes it harder to spade that vehicle, especially in higher BR battles where most of the matches have helicopters. But, i do have a lot more luck against jets, it’s true.

Fun fact. It’s pretty good at shooting down scout UAV’s and they count as air kills. :)
But still, the M247 with proximity fuses is sooooo much better and I’ll take that any day over the Imp.Chaparral.

2 Likes

Gaijin screwed up badly the sensitivity of infrared systems to helicopters. Some missiles in-game should be able to lock onto them form 5-6 km away, but sometimes even at 2 they struggle.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to spade all the vehicles in my Israeli tree, so that’s the only reason I was concerned. I know the US has one and not looking forward to that grind all over again, but it’ll be a whie before I have to worry about that. lol I have gotten a few drones, so that’s helped with the grind. :)